Europa League Squad Confirmed

Mate, I know I'm probably being completely thick here, but what do your 'HGC', 'HGN' and 'Other' headers stand for/represent?

Home grown club
Home grown national (as in trained with another Scottish team)
Other is anyone who was trained outwith Scotland

The whole point of the Bosman ruling was to stop restriction of trade for players from across Europe. A plumber, Joiner etc can move between European countries without any restrictions but a footballer can’t?

It looks like Uefa have sneaked in rules through back door and gone around that ruling to a certain extent with the home grown players rule.

Balogun every day

Far better player. Unless you meant it as a nod to maybe him being more likely to pick up an injury

Agree with this. I like big George but would rather he’s still extremely raw and I prefer the experience of Balogun for these games if he’s needed.

A bit dodgy only having 3 centre backs.

Suppose Bassey can cover there if need be.
Was the same last season as well Edmondson missed out on the squad but was then added for the knockouts after Helander got his injury.

I'd prefer to have Jones in than Stewart and Barker. More so that Stewart isnt even getting game time lately.

Edmundson has looked shakey whenever I have seen him play or giving away needless fouls so can understand why Balogun is ahead of him for now.

Hope Jones doesn’t let it get him down and uses it as even more motivation. The composition of our squad (lack of Scots) hampers us in this.

The fact that Jones, despite his limited appearances in his Rangers career has done more than Barker.

His delivery last year put us into the group stages. Goal against Motherwell last week
Barker scored at the weekend as well, probably more a crucial goal as well than Jones' goal?

I am not really a fan of either of them truth be told but Jones, other than his cross against Legia has largely done nothing for Rangers either. I don't really see much between them for Barker's inclusion ahead of Jones to be classed as bonkers.

Find it strange you’ve came to that conclusion but there we go, the beauty of an opinion.
It is very early days for Balogun but I think he is overrated by the support at the moment after making a good start. And I am a fan of Edmundson.

Could also take their exclusion as a positive. Whilst the squad are away in Liege they could be left at home preparing for the Livingston home game which they start in.

Away to Benfica and they start at home to Hamilton.
Away to Poznan and they start away to Dundee Utd.

Could be good to have players at home who aren't fatigued by all the travelling. It's definitely been an issue for us in the past.

Would Bassey not have been allowed in B squad due to age? Then Edmondson would have got in.

Agree that I’d have Jones for Barker.

Hasn’t really been given many chances though mate has he?
No, I agree he hasn't - and he was excellent at Motherwell. Shite, along with most of the rest against Ross County. He's not getting games for a reason though and clearly has a lot to do to impress Gerrard. Had we had the right offer I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see him gone.

These thread inevitably descent into a Jones/Barker debate but they are completely different players who offer entirely different things to the squad, so I'm not getting sucked into that.;):) Dangerous enough territory on here not being positive about a player eligible for Northern Ireland.

Would Bassey not have been allowed in B squad due to age? Then Edmondson would have got in.

Agree that I’d have Jones for Barker.
He’s not been with the club long enough to be B-List eligible. You need to have been with the club for 2 years to be B-List eligible. By the time that happens, I think he’ll be too old to go on it.

No, I agree he hasn't - and he was excellent at Motherwell. Shite, along with most of the rest against Ross County. He's not getting games for a reason though and clearly has a lot to do to impress Gerrard. Had we had the right offer I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see him gone.

These thread inevitably descent into a Jones/Barker debate but they are completely different players who offer entirely different things to the squad, so I'm not getting sucked into that.;):) Dangerous enough territory on here not being positive about a player from Northern Ireland.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion mate regardless of what some think. My opinion is Barker was signed as we never thought we would get Kent and i personally don’t rate him, but thats only my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion mate regardless of what some think. My opinion is Barker was signed as we never thought we would get Kent and i personally don’t rate him, but thats only my opinion.
I'd like better than both - and we will have in time. I don't see either getting much more than occasional subs appearances.

A bit dodgy only having 3 centre backs.

Suppose Bassey can cover there if need be.
Would guess that's the thinking. I feel for Edmundson but he isn't as good a player as the other 3 (or 4 if you include Katic).

I can possibly see him looking for a move at the end of the season as he really needs to be playing regularly at his age.

Barker scored at the weekend as well, probably more a crucial goal as well than Jones' goal?

I am not really a fan of either of them truth be told but Jones, other than his cross against Legia has largely done nothing for Rangers either. I don't really see much between them for Barker's inclusion ahead of Jones to be classed as bonkers.
This is exactly where I'm with it. If there is anything between them, it isn't much. Barker has obviously been showing up better in training.

It’s no surprise that barker has been selected over jones, Gerrard clearly prefers barker. He must show up better in training, and tbh in the games they’ve played for us, there isn’t much between the two. So I’m not to fussed who is selected out of those two.

On another point we really need to start developing more home grown players. Only reason stewart is selected is because of home grown status. He’s been out of the picture so far this season. We need the likes of mccrorie and Patterson and other youth prospects to develop for us for that reason.

If we actually produced our own players these squads would be a lot easier
Moaning about the rules instead of our inability to produce first team players is a backwards way of looking at it

Not surprising Defoe has missed out given his age. He’ll get plenty game time domestically and gaffer probably needs to manage his minutes accordingly

I would have preferred Jones to Barker too. Andy Halliday has said that often Barker is unplayable at times in training, obviously there is a big difference in training compared to a match but maybe he is worth persevering with a little longer just to see if we can get him to show that kind of form in games.

I would have preferred Jones to Barker too. Andy Halliday has said that often Barker is unplayable at times in training, obviously there is a big difference in training compared to a match but maybe he is worth persevering with a little longer just to see if we can get him to show that kind of form in games.
The thing I would say is both are young enough to improve with just one year separating them Jones being the elder at 25 .

I would say we have a track record for BB , in that he has played Porto games and done a team job and also the vibe from the club is he knuckles to the job in a more professional spirit .

in style they are somewhat different with BB being more able to fill a more disciplined role whereas JJ can poss threaten the opposition goal more but perhaps less dependable ??

main thing is having one of them there gives us needed pace and also allows the other to rest to lead us domestically - if he is capable of taking that responsibility and delivering . As ever it’s the same old Q and we shall see .

for me the marginal decision is more Balogun vs Edmundson .i thot the Balogun ‘ Goldson pairing had a poor game vs Ross County and it appeared it was heavily down to Balogun too .

Maybe time for UEFA to have a rethink along the lines of the "big leagues" (the ones that get 4 teams in the champions league) have to name a squad of players for their European games. But, the smaller nations, with less wealth / tv money, can have a bigger squad.
In some ways that may help balance things a wee bit to assist teams from less wealthy leagues such as us.

The whole point of the Bosman ruling was to stop restriction of trade for players from across Europe. A plumber, Joiner etc can move between European countries without any restrictions but a footballer can’t?

It looks like Uefa have sneaked in rules through back door and gone around that ruling to a certain extent with the home grown players rule.

Not the back door, they actually discussed this with the EU before implementing it, which is why it's carefully worded as 'home grown' rather than 'national'. It was prompted by a fear that the big, big clubs would just hoover up all the talent, meaning clubs in the likes of France would be depleted by the EPL/La Liga (This was pre-PSG getting taken over). Of cours eit also disadvantages a club like us, who have a much smaller pool of players as 'Home Grown - nation'

Back