£50M for Ben White - Crazy Fees continue in EPL

At least with Varane at the reported fee of £42M, Man U are getting an experienced CL and WC winning center back. With Ben White, Arsenal are buying potential.

Seen very little of BHA but I wouldn’t consider them defensively strong.

He was in demand, so they have paid a bit over the odds, imo.
Leeds have made several bids last season, but got knocked back.
The thing for me is Arsenal don’t have a superstar centre back that can lead him and help him improve, they are signing him to be the main man, and I’m not sure he has the leadership qualities to knit that defence together.

At least with Varane at the reported fee of £42M, Man U are getting an experienced CL and WC winning center back. With Ben White, Arsenal are buying potential.

even if Arsenal were interested, I doubt Varane would have joined them as he apparently wanted to go to play at Old Trafford

the White price is definitely due to the English tax in the PL but he's a decent defender and he's possibly one they could have there for a few years. Obviously being Arsenal, it could be a bad move but it could end up being that they pay £50m (more likely most of it not upfront I'd think?) and he stays there for 5-10 years for example, helping them do well

Not sure why anyone is surprised, what's the difference between this & Man Utd spending £50M on Wan Bissaka a couple of years back?

Definite up and comer for me, on the edge of England selection and plenty of good tape.

This highlights though that asking for £15m for Kamara or Goldson isn't unreasonable and shows how our business plan should work.

Not suggesting the fee is reasonable however, he’s a good CH with a bright future
A very bright future he reads the game well has a turn of pace not rapid but no slouch , saw him 2 years ago at leeds when he was 21 and strolled the championship so much so leeds wanted to buy him last year and offered £22 million but Brighton wouldn't sell to what they classed as a rival .....they said last year they'd only sell at £50 million

Never heard of him until this transfer saga started. 50 million pound players should be reputable and proven. Footballs goinf a horrible way down south. Harry kane 150 mill, jack grelish 100 million?! Absolutely outrageous what price tags the media put on players heads but how does it stop?

Varane went for 43 million and has won champions leagues, la liga, a world cup etc etc

Ben White has won championship player of the month
It is certainly difficult to understand especially as Varane is not that old. Maybe, just maybe, reflects the financial difficulties that RM are in. Almost a forced sale and that at a time when not many teams have a lot of cash spare - or at least not as much cash as usual.
Having typed all that it it does still seem extraordinary that Varane is costing less than White.

It is certainly difficult to understand especially as Varane is not that old. Maybe, just maybe, reflects the financial difficulties that RM are in. Almost a forced sale and that at a time when not many teams have a lot of cash spare - or at least not as much cash as usual.
Having typed all that it it does still seem extraordinary that Varane is costing less than White.
A talent like Varane or Ben White for a bigger fee? Let me think for a nanosecond.

Sums up Arsenal’s downward spiral in the English game.

Varane was in the last year of his contract.

Varane will be costing a lot more than White, considerably so. Their salaries will not be comparable.

Never heard of him until this transfer saga started. 50 million pound players should be reputable and proven. Footballs goinf a horrible way down south. Harry kane 150 mill, jack grelish 100 million?! Absolutely outrageous what price tags the media put on players heads but how does it stop?
I grew up in the sixties and nothing was different except the price tag - and that is down to inflation. By the seventies Trevor Francis was a million quid. No player is worth that was the cry. Where does it stop they said. Soon after Francis, who was a brilliant player, Nish and Daley were the biggest transfers in British history. Nish barely had a cap and although I don't remember Daley he was not a much capped player. You could continue on through the eighties and on and on. Teams either have the money for these fees or they don't.
I am not sure why you find footballer's fees outrageous. It is the market at work - for good or bad.

Varane was in the last year of his contract.
A very good point but why then did Madrid not try and extend it - or extend it the previous year? I am musing here not asking you to answer for Madrid! Also why if Varane in his final year was looking to leave was there not a few teams after him as he would be going cheaply? All of these are just thoughts not argumentative points.

Oh wait... the Ben Wright? The tech mogul/ playboy?
For a minute there had him confused with a mid-table defender who is showing promise. Aye, 50 mil.

They are defensively strong, their problem was scoring goals.

Let in 46 goals in 38 games, much less than the teams around them, and that was with dodgy goalies most of the year.

Many pundits down south are saying they are surprised that none of the top 4 didn’t come in for him.Apparently was in the England squad, and is rated very highly.
But 50 million?
I don’t think so.

Locatelli a Euro winner with Italy, could also end up at Arsenal, but only for 34 million.
Where these evaluations come from…anyone’s guess.
Only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay.

I’m amazed that people continue to be amazed at EPL clubs paying big fees for players!
We all know it’s going to happen.

A very good point but why then did Madrid not try and extend it - or extend it the previous year? I am musing here not asking you to answer for Madrid! Also why if Varane in his final year was looking to leave was there not a few teams after him as he would be going cheaply? All of these are just thoughts not argumentative points.
They did but Varane told them he wouldn’t be signing a new deal, that coupled with Real’s need to get in some money (nowhere near as pressing as Barca’s but they still need to) led to a reduced fee.

I know there will be offshore accounts and whatever else but the tax man must be raking it in with all these deals. English Football must be up there with the most profitable business for the Exchequer.

Back