€98 Import Tax for Champions Top

GerManiac

Hi Troops,

Long story short: got a bill from DHL Expresy today for my two Champions Tops delivered last week.

Does anyone know who to contact at the club or Castore to get reimbursed?

Cheers.

There’s loads of DHL scams on the go. I wouldn’t be giving anything if you’ve got them.

Is it not that goods can only move tariff free in the EU, if they were manufactured in the EU?

DHL usually don’t deliver until the tax and import duty is paid so I’m surprised you got a bill AFTER delivery. I’d be cautious of paying that if you have already taken delivery. At time of order I believe Castore give the opportunity to have the order shipped tax paid as well, but you may not have selected that option. I’m assuming from your username you are in Germany.

concierge@rangersstore.co.uk is the email address (note the double-s in the middle).

Last edited:
Where do you live??? Sounds like a scam to me.
Germany mate.

Got the tops last week, no issues, then received an official invoice from DHL Express Germany GmbH AR Query Handling today.

It's legit, invoice and separate summary of services and custom tax amounting to €98.

I doubt it’s up to Rangers or Castore to reimburse import tax given they’d be the exporter.

DHL usually don’t deliver until the tax and import duty is paid so I’m surprised you got a bill AFTER delivery. I’d be cautious of paying that if you have already taken delivery. At time of order I believe Castore give the opportunity to have the order shipped tax paid as well, but you may not have selected that option. I’m assuming from your username you are in Germany.

concierge@rangersstore.co.uk is the email address (note the double-s in the middle).
Thank you.
Email fired off.

You might want to contact DHL and ask them why the cost is so high and tell them you don’t have that sort of money. DHL are at it.

Thank you.

It would appear the following applies to my order: DHL pays the customs authority on your behalf for any duties and taxes that are due on the goods.

So I guess it makes sense that they will claim the above back.
Yup - but they usually don’t deliver until you’ve paid. Which gives you the option to refuse delivery of course. So something is odd about this transaction. It’s not how DHL usually work. Are you 100% certain the email is genuine?

Thank you.

It would appear the following applies to my order: DHL pays the customs authority on your behalf for any duties and taxes that are due on the goods.

So I guess it makes sense that they will claim the above back.
Unfortunately I don’t think it is a scam but contact DHL direct to check. Specific goods will have a specific tax. The likeliest action they take if you don’t pay is to block further deliveries to you or maybe contact credit card company and your credit could get affected somehow.

Their handling fee for the transaction should be minimal but the duty seems to vary depending how the goods are categorised. You may be able to dispute the categorisation. I’d contact DHL and put them in a holding pattern until you are sure the charge is legit. See article below.

Never had one good experience with DHL, bunch of pricks. I sent a family birthday parcel to Spain once, they managed to deliver it fine to the correct town... then it suddenly went off radar. They gaslighted us for so long that we gave up on getting even a refund for postage. Turned up 3 months later with the excuse that the driver had "gone on holiday". For months aye.

Sorry, just fancied a rant

Yup - but they usually don’t deliver until you’ve paid. Which gives you the option to refuse delivery of course. So something is odd about this transaction. It’s not how DHL usually work. Are you 100% certain the email is genuine?
The invoice was delivered to my home address but you are correct, DHL usually will not deliver unless duty etc. is paid first.

The invoice was delivered to my home address but you are correct, DHL usually will not deliver unless duty etc. is paid first.
On their website it says they can pay up front to speed delivery and I noted you had express delivery on your original email mate. It’s pretty sh1t that this is not upfront when ordering. Castore must have known the address they were shipping to. They could at least tell you what the import duty is to EU. For them it should be easy to do.

Never had one good experience with DHL, bunch of pricks. I sent a family birthday parcel to Spain once, they managed to deliver it fine to the correct town... then it suddenly went off radar. They gaslighted us for so long that we gave up on getting even a refund for postage. Turned up 3 months later with the excuse that the driver had "gone on holiday". For months aye.

Sorry, just fancied a rant
They are idiots. A mean how hard is it to read an address then drive to that address and hand over a package? It would seem very hard to those clowns as they constantly give my parcels to other houses or say I’m not in when I am. Probs a reason why delivery drivers are delivery divers tho, didn’t stick In at school.

I've still not received my top despite ordering pretty much as soon as they went on sale. Anyone else in the same boat? My mate in America got his despite ordering after and obviously living in a different continent.
Nvm, just noticed other thread. Ignore me.

DHL and UPS commonly deliver before taxes and customs paid, I get it often, it prevents delays in deliveries

How can the tax be worth more than the actual product?

I bought a chair from the EU and it was shipped with DHL, had a four day delay in Amsterdam due to the customs fee's etc...The selling company paid it though.

DHL were warning people today about such scams. I work for Fedex and we don't deliver until duties and taxes are paid.

Hi I received my top over in rep of Ireland
When ordering no option to pay duty or taxes on Rangers store , DHL arrived and wanted 46 50 euros for tax and duty I refused and said I would contact our store he came back next day and I paid DHL online the fee
Anyway after 3 days and a couple of emails with screenshots The Store apologised and refunded the fee to my card

I bought a chair from the EU and it was shipped with DHL, had a four day delay in Amsterdam due to the customs fee's etc...The selling company paid it though.
I ordered two tops mate worth GB£182.

Today I written to the rangers store concierge and custom's department email for enquiriey regyrding the invoice.

I wont be holding my breath as I have until this Friday to pay.

Quick update: DHL Express have been in touch and explained that any payment will be suspended until tne matter has been resolved.

No response yet from the Rangers Store.

Thanks again for all your help troops.

Big chunk of that will be DHL's fee for sorting it out

Castore should have put a customs declaration on the product and/or (not sure of exact details) shipped it DDP

Brexit in action

Big chunk of that will be DHL's fee for sorting it out

Castore should have put a customs declaration on the product and/or (not sure of exact details) shipped it DDP

Brexit in action
DHL claim they charge 2.5% handling. Sounds like OP is doing the right thing. The store need to have bold warnings about this when ordering from overseas. I guess in the T&Cs it says the buyer is responsible for duties but the store must have a good idea what these are. It’ll be on a customs table somewhere and shouldn’t be hard to put in their software or at least reference.

Hi Troops,

DHL Express have confirmed that the invoice they sent me for the two Castore Champions Tops is correct.

DHL only charged me €12,50 for handling with the rest being €57,97 turnover tax on imports and €25,83 customs duty.

So there you have it troops. Let's see what the Rangers Store has to say on the matter.

The galling thing is, as mentioned in the other Champions Top thread, the quality of the finishing of the tops is poor and only the embroidery is good but mine is getting framed anyway so no big deal - I guess - but Castore will never see a € off me again.

Hi Troops,

DHL Express have confirmed that the invoice they sent me for the two Castore Champions Tops is correct.

DHL only charged me €12,50 for handling with the rest being €57,97 turnover tax on imports and €25,83 customs duty.

So there you have it troops. Let's see what the Rangers Store has to say on the matter.

The galling thing is, as mentioned in the other Champions Top thread, the quality of the finishing of the tops is poor and only the embroidery is good but mine is getting framed anyway so no big deal - I guess - but Castore will never see a € off me again.

same situation as you mate.

i posted the same in the other Castore thread but I got a similar invoice last week from DHL.

I did get confirmation from Castore that it was their mistake and to pay the fees which they would refund to me.

After paying DHL, I was surprised to then get an updated tracking saying it had been returned to shipper (despite me paying the fees).

A complete mess up between Castore and DHL.

Castore then emailed to advise my strips had been returned to them and I would be refunded but not the custom and duties fees (despite earlier saying they would!)

So after all of this I am now down 100 Euros, and no champions strips for me or my lad.

This is 4th issue I have had with Castore on buying Rangers related items.... they already screwed up Christmas order and this is the last time I give them my money.... too unreliable, poor quality, and a travesty they have the nerve to to use the phrase betterneverstops.... it never even started as far as I’m concerned.

same situation as you mate.

i posted the same in the other Castore thread but I got a similar invoice last week from DHL.

I did get confirmation from Castore that it was their mistake and to pay the fees which they would refund to me.

After paying DHL, I was surprised to then get an updated tracking saying it had been returned to shipper (despite me paying the fees).

A complete mess up between Castore and DHL.

Castore then emailed to advise my strips had been returned to them and I would be refunded but not the custom and duties fees (despite earlier saying they would!)

So after all of this I am now down 100 Euros, and no champions strips for me or my lad.

This is 4th issue I have had with Castore on buying Rangers related items.... they already screwed up Christmas order and this is the last time I give them my money.... too unreliable, poor quality, and a travesty they have the nerve to to use the phrase betterneverstops.... it never even started as far as I’m concerned.
Why did DHL return it to Castore after you’d paid the duty? Especially as Castore had agreed to refund you. Sounds like the original error was Castore’s (incorrect paperwork) but it’s DHL who have now left you out of pocket.

According to DHL ...Castore requested it to be returned. same morning I made the payment..... yes the DHL system is clueless to as it even allowed me to pay the fees despite the items already being on way back to UK.
Incredible that you ‘won the battle’ with Castore to get them to agree to refund you the tax only for DHL to screw you over by taking the payment yet returning the goods. Now you have to beat DHL. Good Luck with that mate.

Incredible that you ‘won the battle’ with Castore to get them to agree to refund you the tax only for DHL to screw you over by taking the payment yet returning the goods. Now you have to beat DHL. Good Luck with that mate.
Well according to DHL it was Castore fault for requesting shipment to return .... apparently they should have advised that I would be paying the invoice but they never did

now I have to write a letter to Dutch tax and customs authorities to ask for my 101 Euros back ...... I won’t hold my Breath on getting it.

What a debacle.

Ended up just going to Ajax store today in the Dam and buying the wee man stuff from there to appease his disappointment.

Is it not that goods can only move tariff free in the EU, if they were manufactured in the EU?

Goods can move tariff free within the EU from one country to another. From outside the EU? Items brought by individuals are tax-free up to about £350, subject to specific limits on things like tobacco and alcohol.

For anything sold on a commercial basis then there's always going to be an issue regarding local taxes and import costs. The best way round it would be for European based bears to get friends and family to order merchandise and to then send it on person to person rather than business to customer with a declaration that it's a gift of less than the appropriate customs/tax value.

Back