1 Genuine Inside Forward Away?

Albertz_Was_King

I look at this team and squad and see good quality overall and some a nice balance.

However if we are indeed going to continue playing the formation with two inside forwards then I think we need a genuine inside forward to help fill the other spot, with Arfield clearly showing that he is very adept at playing the inside forward role as his goal return in the new position showed at the end of last season.

I think the likes of Hastie and Jordan Jones were snapped up in January at a point where we happened to be very "wing-focused", relying on a lot of balls to the wide areas for crosses which didn't prove very productive especially against the weaker sides in the league who were happy for us to go wide and defend what they seen as "food and drink" high crosses.

The interchanging and movement the two inside forward positions really compliments both Defoe, due to his age, and Morelos who likes quick combination play to work a shot at goal. So it makes complete sense to keep this type of formation to get the very best out of two very good strikers.

Jones and Ojo have some really impressive parts to their game and admittedly some weaknesses, I would argue that Greg Stewart is probably more suited to the inside forward role than the aforementioned pair but it's fair to say perhaps over the course of the season he isn't necessarily at the level or pedigree required.

So is it fair to say if we need to dip into the market and truly maximise our chances, this position is key to really strengthen?

I look at this team and squad and see good quality overall and some a nice balance.

However if we are indeed going to continue playing the formation with two inside forwards then I think we need a genuine inside forward to help fill the other spot, with Arfield clearly showing that he is very adept at playing the inside forward role as his goal return in the new position showed at the end of last season.

I think the likes of Hastie and Jordan Jones were snapped up in January at a point where we happened to be very "wing-focused", relying on a lot of balls to the wide areas for crosses which didn't prove very productive especially against the weaker sides in the league who were happy for us to go wide and defend what they seen as "food and drink" high crosses.

The interchanging and movement the two inside forward positions really compliments both Defoe, due to his age, and Morelos who likes quick combination play to work a shot at goal. So it makes complete sense to keep this type of formation to get the very best out of two very good strikers.

Jones and Ojo have some really impressive parts to their game and admittedly some weaknesses, I would argue that Greg Stewart is probably more suited to the inside forward role than the aforementioned pair but it's fair to say perhaps over the course of the season he isn't necessarily at the level or pedigree required.

So is it fair to say if we need to dip into the market and truly maximise our chances, this position is key to really strengthen?

We will definitely sign someone else when Candeias leaves.

Whether it's going to be Kent or not I have no idea, but think Gerrard is well aware that we require one more thankfully.

If we sign Kent, the squad is complete. Really hope Morelos stays too.

The key is consistency and getting the right formula of changes to see us through heavy fixture periods without dropping points.

We haven’t replaced the fear factor Kent brought and I don’t think any of our options are clinical enough either.

The best thing that can happen is if Candeias goes we end up forced into signing someone who can make the position his own.

Is it not a bit mad that if Kent comes back then our strongest eleven for Kilmarnock Away is last year’s team?

The strongest eleven for me would have Helander and Aribo in it.

The eleven we ended the season with was quite strong anyway IMO, but we've improved the quality of the squad overall, kept our key players and made a couple of quality additions which is all we really needed to do I think.

Gerrard on conforming Candeias is off says he is thinking of now replacing him.

If we sign Kent, the squad is complete. Really hope Morelos stays too.

The key is consistency and getting the right formula of changes to see us through heavy fixture periods without dropping points.

I hope we keep Morelos. Just feel we miss him when he doesn't start. The lads quality.

Is it not a bit mad that if Kent comes back then our strongest eleven for Kilmarnock Away is last year’s team?
It's a bit mad to think that aribo, the big swede and/or ojo won't feature in a 'strongest eleven' against kilmarnock. However, if it somehow happened to be greegs, tav, goldson, katic, barisic, Jack, Davis, kamara, arfield, Kent and morelos I'd still be happy with that such is the depth of the squad.

It's a bit mad to think that aribo, the big swede and/or ojo won't feature in a 'strongest eleven' against kilmarnock. However, if it somehow happened to be greegs, tav, goldson, katic, barisic, Jack, Davis, kamara, arfield, Kent and morelos I'd still be happy with that such is the depth of the squad.

Not sure Helander will be ready and Aribo doesn’t displace Davis/Jack/Kamara......yet.

Ojo won’t play if Kent is back.

It really worries me the amount of posters on here who believe Jamie Murphy is a difference maker.

I agree with the OP we still need quality in this role. It’s Arfield and another. Jones, Stewart and Murphy are back up players.

The chat about Murphy reminds me a lot of the chat about Dorrans last season when some people were just convinced he'd come into the squad and be a game changer for us.

I think Murphy will struggle to handle the competition for places this season after his long injury and maybe a loan would be best for him right now to get him playing regularly again & avoid another Dorrans situation tbh.

Today we looked more like 4-3-3 with arfield playing deeper most of the game.

We should if we can avoid playing this way, it’s so predictable and Ojo won’t cover Tav the way he is used to being covered which will stop him being one of our most stacking threats.

It's going to take a little time to get there but Murphy can still be a starter.

Coming inside from the left flank was where he came alive when he joined us.

He strikes me as needing confidence though. Hopefully it will come.

I agree. We will go for kent & quite rightly.

However a quality inside forward who can play across the 3 would be a dream. Cant see us signing one given the spaces in the squad though & actually feel it is something we will live to regret to an extent

Back