108 players since Tav signed

NegrisLob

Not a Tav bashing thread, merely using him as a reference point as our longest serving starting 11 player. Since he came in under Warburton, we've signed roughly (probably out by a few) 108 players since then, bit of a rogues gallery - you ready?

GK butland
GK McLaughlin
GK Mcgregor
GK Firth
GK Foderingham
GK Gostomski
GK Alnwick
GK Gilks
LB Barisic
LB yilmaz
LB John
CB Senderos
CB Kiernan
CB Wilson
CB ball
CB Cardoso
CB Martin
CB Alves
CB Goldson
CB Davies
CB worral
CB helander
CB Katic
CB souttar
CB Simpson
CB Edmundson
CB balogun
CB Mcauley
CB Hill
CB/LB Bassey
RB zukowski
RB Polster
RB Flanagan
RB Hodson
RB/mid sterling
Mid Barton
Mid Hyndman
Mid Toral
Mid Halliday
Mid Zelalem
Mid Forrester
Mid cantwell
Mid Goss
Mid Ejaria
Mid Coulibaly
Mid Arfield
Mid Kamara
Mid Hagi
Mid Bacuna
Mid Ramsey
Mid Sands
Mid raskin
Mid Ofoborh
Mid cifuentes
Mid Lawrence
Mid dowell
Mid Tillman
Mid Zungu
Mid Lundstram
Mid diomande
Mid davis
Mid King
Mid/att aribo
Mid Pena
Mid Dorrans
Mid Holt
Mid Crooks
Mid Rossiter
Mid Docherty
FW Windass
FW Dodoo
FW Garner
FW herrera
FW Oduwa
FW waghorn
FW Dalcio
FW B King
FW Ohalloran
FW Nemane
FW Middleton
FW Wright
FW Candelas
FW Morelos
FW Ojo
FW Kamberi
FW Sadiq
FW Grezda
FW Lafferty
FW Murphy
FW Cummings
FW Barker
FW Kent
FW hastie
FW Jones
FW Stewart
FW lammers
FW Roofer
FW Item
FW Amad
FW defoe
FW sakala
FW dessers
FW colak
FW sima
FW Danilo
FW matondo
FW Silva
FW Cortes

I think you'll struggle to get 20 from the list above that you'd class as bona fide rangers success stories (and I was stretching myself at that!).

So roughly a hit rate of slightly worse than 1 in 5, don't know how we can get it wrong on so many occasions when it comes to players, the wasted wages over the last 9/10 years has been unbelievable.

I will go against the grain but not all those players were bad signings. We will never have a 100% success rate and expecting 10 new faces each year to turn around the culture at the club won't work.

How much profit/loss amongst that? That's what's holding us back and sadly, it's what the scum are very good at. They've also signed some amount of dross over the years, but they make serious profit on a few that more than covers their losses. We simply have to become a better selling club or else this vicious cycle will never end.

An easy example of where we simply must do better is losing Kent, Alfie and now Lundstram for £0 is wholly unacceptable when you compare that lot got millions in for dross like Ajer, Turnbull and a lesser extent, Frimpong in the last year of their deals. I hate comparing us to them, but they simply are better at this than us until this point.

How much profit/loss amongst that? That's what's holding us back and sadly, it's what the scum are very good at. They've also signed some amount of dross over the years, but they make serious profit on a few that more than covers their losses. We simply have to become a better selling club or else this vicious cycle will never end.

An easy example of where we simply must do better is losing Kent, Alfie and now Lundstram for £0 is wholly unacceptable when you compare that lot got millions in for dross like Ajer, Turnbull and a lesser extent, Frimpong in the last year of their deals. I hate comparing us to them, but they simply are better at this than us until this point.
they run the club as a proper business. They are far more ruthless at board level

I can't believe some of them wore our jersey and we've had to endure the utter dross that they 'contributed'

Not a Tav bashing thread, merely using him as a reference point as our longest serving starting 11 player. Since he came in under Warburton, we've signed roughly (probably out by a few) 108 players since then, bit of a rogues gallery - you ready?

GK butland
GK McLaughlin
GK Mcgregor
GK Firth
GK Foderingham
GK Gostomski
GK Alnwick
GK Gilks
LB Barisic
LB yilmaz
LB John
CB Senderos
CB Kiernan
CB Wilson
CB ball
CB Cardoso
CB Martin
CB Alves
CB Goldson
CB Davies
CB worral
CB helander
CB Katic
CB souttar
CB Simpson
CB Edmundson
CB balogun
CB Mcauley
CB Hill
CB/LB Bassey
RB zukowski
RB Polster
RB Flanagan
RB Hodson
RB/mid sterling
Mid Barton
Mid Hyndman
Mid Toral
Mid Halliday
Mid Zelalem
Mid Forrester
Mid cantwell
Mid Goss
Mid Ejaria
Mid Coulibaly
Mid Arfield
Mid Kamara
Mid Hagi
Mid Bacuna
Mid Ramsey
Mid Sands
Mid raskin
Mid Ofoborh
Mid cifuentes
Mid Lawrence
Mid dowell
Mid Tillman
Mid Zungu
Mid Lundstram
Mid diomande
Mid davis
Mid King
Mid/att aribo
Mid Pena
Mid Dorrans
Mid Holt
Mid Crooks
Mid Rossiter
Mid Docherty
FW Windass
FW Dodoo
FW Garner
FW herrera
FW Oduwa
FW waghorn
FW Dalcio
FW B King
FW Ohalloran
FW Nemane
FW Middleton
FW Wright
FW Candelas
FW Morelos
FW Ojo
FW Kamberi
FW Sadiq
FW Grezda
FW Lafferty
FW Murphy
FW Cummings
FW Barker
FW Kent
FW hastie
FW Jones
FW Stewart
FW lammers
FW Roofer
FW Item
FW Amad
FW defoe
FW sakala
FW dessers
FW colak
FW sima
FW Danilo
FW matondo
FW Silva
FW Cortes

I think you'll struggle to get 20 from the list above that you'd class as bona fide rangers success stories (and I was stretching myself at that!).

So roughly a hit rate of slightly worse than 1 in 5, don't know how we can get it wrong on so many occasions when it comes to players, the wasted wages over the last 9/10 years has been unbelievable.
That’s f**king depressing.

Wow that’s depressing! However imagine not for injuries (and counting ability not form with us )we could have had a team of

Butland
Sterling Hellander Worral Bassey
Davis Aribo
Dialla Sima Kent
Alfie.

With Defoe and Roofe coming off the bench!

Our recruitment has been utterly shite for years! The guy that ran the show yesterday was a purchase from MK Dons and will go on to be a £10m plus sell on! What the %^*& are we doing when it comes to recruitment!

Our recruitment has been utterly shite for years! The guy that ran the show yesterday was a purchase from MK Dons and will go on to be a £10m plus sell on! What the %^*& are we doing when it comes to recruitment!
We’ve been too scattergun. Just because we got lucky with Bassey we just seem to bring in loads of players of a similar type (youth players from England out of contact or cheap) and hope for the best. The scum have been lucky in that they have managed to unearth a few gems by the same approach but they have the money to be afforded the low % success they have got. We need to be smarter. I’m hoping we are starting to see that now. It’s too early to get ahead of ourselves as we did last summer under Beale, however Diamonde (hopeless yesterday) does show promise and is highly thought of across Europe and could be a decent profit. Cortes looked a great player before injury and Silva whilst being a flop was an ambitious and relatively risk free signing.

Anything before 2018/19 generally can be forgotten and written off.

Since Gerrard arrived we have been been more or less as good as them on a footballing level whilst being just not quite as consistent enough unfortunately and possessing the required mental strength in the key moments of the season.

Summer 2021 was such a watershed moment for this regime though, to not strengthen from our first real position of strength in a decade (yes there was COVID, but there was also sellable assets, Celtic seemed to manage it) and to then not properly enhance a side that reached a European final whilst achieving record turnover has been an absolute bullet to our own face. The blame for 2021 lies with the board primarily, SG to a degree for the failure to get past a rotten Malmö side in embarrassing fashion whilst 2022 is contributed to Ross Wilson for replacing Bassey with perma crocks in Davies and Yilmaz as well as the contractual situation with Kent and Morelos.

It's not the fees, it the wages that kill us.

Our trophy return for the wage bill is horrendous.

We massively over-pay our players.
We really can’t complain about lack of money for players and wages when we spunk money on that amount of shite really.
You’d think we never learn looking at that list maybe one day the penny will drop and we’ll let people who know what they are doing sign players.

I'll always reference the scum selling the Greek striker and juranovic in the same window.
They wanted more money, they were sold.
They got great service out them and then made profit. No room for sentimentality.
And then you have our absolute shit show of assets either walking for nothing or totally losing their value.

I'll always reference the scum selling the Greek striker and juranovic in the same window.
They got great service out them and then made profit. No room for sentimentality.
And then you have our absolute shit show of assets either walking for nothing or totally losing their value.

A legacy from the Gerrard and Wilson era. The reluctance to sell players was truly bizarre.

I don't think the majority of the support fully appreciates, just how much that's hindered us in the last several windows. I don't blame Gerrard really, it's mostly the strategy and planning that Wilson seemed to have. What the %^*& was he thinking!?

Don’t think we’ve had a successful transfer window since Gerrard’s first season.

The small crumb of comfort I took from yesterday was the fact they started with none of Rodgers signings, I’m hoping they lose one or two top players and he replaces them with dross. What they do matters zero if we don’t start recruiting fit, hungry and talented players though

A legacy from the Gerrard and Wilson era. The reluctance to sell players was truly bizarre.

I don't think the majority of the support fully appreciates, just how much that's hindered us in the last several windows. I don't blame Gerrard really, it's mostly the strategy and planning that Wilson seemed to have. What the %^*& was he thinking!?
We forget that it was covid era.
Teams weren't spending.

That list is absolutely brutal, 20 success stories is being very generous.

Since we got promoted back to the top flight we have had garbage players, garbage managers and garbage senior leadership in the boardroom.

Why cant we ever get it right?

I do have relative confidence in the new regimes ability to source players tbf.

I know Koppen wasn’t the main man at PSV but if you put together a similar list to above for them it would be the opposite reaction to ours-their recruitment has been incredible over the last few years and if we can get closer to that hit rate (relative to budget of course) we’ll be in much better shape.

We seem to have a weird attachment to players. You only have to look at the nonsense with goldson

You can't blame Gerrard for wanting to keep his best players and buy more. Ross Wilson/the board did not do their job by enacting the player trading model properly. Wilson was probably too fanny dazzled to do the role, and tell Gerrard that we had to cash in.
FWIW, I still believe the Malmo game causes most of these problems, if we got through that I think things would've been very different. Much like the scum getting the winter break moved when Gio was manager. Sliding doors moments, that none have gone out way.

We seem to have a weird attachment to players. You only have to look at the nonsense with goldson

I think it's a part of us wanting new heroes, but if we're going to be a modern selling club, we need to lose that sentimentality.

If it wasn't for European heroics though, these players Rangers careers would have been far, far shorter regardless.

The shite signed in the Championship & first years back in the prem is one thing as we were shopping in different markets then, but it's the post-2021 signings that are the issue. If you look at the 55 squad, I don't think we've signed a single player in that time who is performing at the level Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Davis, Morelos & Helander were in that season. Every single replacement has performed to a worse level than the player we've been trying to replace. Granted the standards of an unbeaten league season is an unachievable one to hit every season, but equally the majority of those players were here for 4/5 years and it was expected they would all leave/retire at some point - it really doesn't say much for our talent ID that despite having years to identify suitable replacements, we've failed probably multiple times to do that.

Back