KPryde96

I know this is a bit of a long shot but my Grandad (Jim Pryde) played in the 1952/53 Scottish cup final and replay v Aberdeen. I was wondering if anyone has a programme/photos etc from either of the games for sale/ knows where I could find them?

Thanks!

I know this is a bit of a long shot but my Grandad (Jim Pryde) played in the 1952/53 Scottish cup final and replay v Aberdeen. I was wondering if anyone has a programme/photos etc from either of the games for sale/ knows where I could find them?

Thanks!

I used to know your grandad many years ago when he worked with the old Employment Service. I think he transferred over to us from ACAS In the early 1980's. When I moved up to the Tayside area a few years later my next door neighbour told me that he had watched him playing for Newburgh Juniors when he was a young lad.

The team was Niven, Young, Little, McColl, Woodburn, Pryde, Waddell, Grierson, Simpson (Scorer 42) Paton, Hubbard. Your grandfather replaced Sammy Cox in the match, I put his name in where Cox is years ago now its a bit faded but you can make it out.

Thanks!
That’s a brilliant piece of history. You must be proud to have had a grandad playing for Rangers and winning a Scottish Cup medal. Hopefully, he gave you his medal to keep in the family. My auld man was at the Final, along with 130,000 souls. Probably at the replay as well. It’s these little questions I’d like to ask him, but he’s no longer with us.

I used to know your grandad many years ago when he worked with the old Employment Service. I think he transferred over to us from ACAS In the early 1980's. When I moved up to the Tayside area a few years later my next door neighbour told me that he had watched him playing for Newburgh Juniors when he was a young lad.
It’s a small world!! Was that in Paisley? My Dad thinks he went back to coach Newburgh Juniors once he’d finished playing football, in the late 60s!

That’s a brilliant piece of history. You must be proud to have had a grandad playing for Rangers and winning a Scottish Cup medal. Hopefully, he gave you his medal to keep in the family. My auld man was at the Final, along with 130,000 souls. Probably at the replay as well. It’s these little questions I’d like to ask him, but he’s no longer with us.
Very proud and we still have the medal! Sorry to hear that, I’m sure he had so many great memories.

It’s a small world!! Was that in Paisley? My Dad thinks he went back to coach Newburgh Juniors once he’d finished playing football, in the late 60s!

I first met your grandad when he transferred from ACAS into the Employment Service's West of Scotland Area Office, which was based at Elmbank Gardens, just opposite Charing Cross train station. I was at that time involved in the Civil Service trade union side and met your grandad through that. He was a representative on the Management Side at quarterly meetings which were held between both sides at the Charing Cross office. I remember one of my workmates telling me that on the day of Jimmy's retirement they arranged a lunch for him which, to your grandad's surprise, was attended by his old Rangers team mate Willie Thornton.

Glad I looked this post I was born 1952 and what a wonderful exchange of words and posts and wonderful memories between jimbear and kpryde I know my old man would have been at that game,although he used to rave on about Sammy Cox (sorry kpryde) and his favourite Johhny Hubbard cheers guys for all the posts The Rangers Family!

My old man was there as well. Always told me it was his first Cup Final he was 12 at the time. Sadly he’s no longer here either.

My first cup final. I was 6! Sat on the wall at the Mount Florida end. I have only a few memories of the game. Rangers goal scored by John Prentice (who was dropped for the replay). George Niven diving at Paddy Buckley’s feet and getting kicked in the head and being stretchered off. George Young going in goal and Niven’s jersey being about five sizes too small for him. Then the huge cheer when Niven came out for the second half with what looked like a turban on his head. I have no recollection of Aberdeen’s equaliser.

I just checked the wiki page for that seasons Scottish cup. We had ceowds of 116k v Hearts in the semi, 129k v the sheep in the final and 113k in the replay. Over 358k for 3 games.

Edit, we also beat the yahoos in the quarters at Ibrox, anyone know the attendance for that game?

Thanks!
I briefly worked alongside Jimmy’s son (Derek if I remember correctly) in 1983. He left employment to go back to University.

Really nice bloke.

I first met your grandad when he transferred from ACAS into the Employment Service's West of Scotland Area Office, which was based at Elmbank Gardens, just opposite Charing Cross train station. I was at that time involved in the Civil Service trade union side and met your grandad through that. He was a representative on the Management Side at quarterly meetings which were held between both sides at the Charing Cross office. I remember one of my workmates telling me that on the day of Jimmy's retirement they arranged a lunch for him which, to your grandad's surprise, was attended by his old Rangers team mate Willie Thornton.
Ah that’s a lovely story about his retirement - thank you for sharing

Can I just say a huge thank you to you all for sending your stories and pictures! It has brought up a lot of lovely memories for my Dad, Gran and Uncle. My Grandad would have been very pleasantly surprised with all of these kind messages. Really appreciate all your help :) Kirsten

Back