Rangers History 1967 On This Day

MO_TxTruBlu

January 18th 1967

Rangers travel to Pittodrie for a tough midweek fixture.
Both teams are locked on 28 points, trailing Celtic by 7 points, though Rangers have 2 games in hand, and a rearranged home game v Celtic to come.
This was very much a must win game for Rangers, against an Aberdeen side that was undefeated at home all season long.
There was a bit of recent history between the two clubs, with them having faced each other 7 times in 7 months, between March and October.
3 League Games, a Scottish Cup Semi Final and Replay, a League Cup Semi Final and Replay.
Rangers were Undefeated in all 7, winning 5, drawing 2.
Aberdeen were led by the impressive Eddie Turnbull, who had recently turned down the offer to become Assistant Manager at Ibrox to Scot Symon.
Rangers fielded an unchanged XI for the 4th consecutive game, though Symon opted to switch the positions with Jim Forrest, going to Inside Left, and George Mclean playing Centre Forward, as he had done in the previous two games.

Martin Johansen Provan Greig McKinnon D.Smith Henderson A.Smith McLean Forrest Johnston.

30,000 packed into Pittodrie on a freezing January evening to witness a superb game of football served up by both teams.
Aberdeen were the better side in the first half of a very bruising encounter, inspired with the 'Aberdeen Baxter' Jimmy Smith, who was outstanding in midfield, that saw Aberdeen take the lead through Johnston in the 27th min.
Rangers looked down and almost out, as the left the field at the break.
A different Rangers emerged for the second half. Three minutes after the restart, a clever flick from Forrest lines up beautifully for Mclean to run onto, and slam the ball underneath the diving Clark into the net. The game changed in an instant. The confidence was immediately sucked right out of Aberdeen, and the travelling fans joy just added to that.
Rangers pummelled them, Henderson hit the post, Alex Smith with a diving header forced Clark into another fine save.
'Eight minutes to go McLean capped perhaps his finest performance with an astonishingly slick goal.'
A clever back heel from McLean to Johnston, saw Big Dandy take the return and fire the ball low and hard into the bottom corner, for his second of the night, to give Rangers the points.
The often much maligned George McLean was now the Toast of Rangers.

ABERDEEN 1-2 RANGERS

McLean's two goals that night brought his tally to an outrageous 55 Goals in his last 53 Games!
His partner, Jim Forrest with 147 Goals in 160 games was none to shabby either.

10 Days later, 23 year old George McLean and 22 year old Jim Forrest were told they would never play for the Rangers again.

The 66/67 season must have been an absolute sickener for our fans, and one I'm glad I was born long after.

Finished 2nd in the league, 3 points off the top but only won 1 out of the final 5 games.

Beaten by the filth in the league cup final. Knocked out the 1st round of the Scottish cup by Berwick in a massive upset. And to top it off, losing a European final 1-0

January 18th 1967

Both teams are locked on 28 points, trailing Celtic by 7 points, though Rangers have 2 games in hand, and a rearranged home game v Celtic to come.
This was very much a must win game for Rangers, against an Aberdeen side that was undefeated at home all season long.
There was a bit of recent history between the two clubs, with them having faced each other 7 times in 7 months, between March and October.
3 League Games, a Scottish Cup Semi Final and Replay, a League Cup Semi Final and Replay.
Aberdeen were led by the impressive Eddie Turnbull, who had recently turned down the offer to become Assistant Manager at Ibrox to Scot Symon.
Rangers fielded an unchanged XI for the 4th consecutive game, though Symon opted to switch the positions with Jim Forrest, going to Inside Left, and George Mclean playing Centre Forward, as he had done in the previous two games.

Martin Johansen Provan Greig McKinnon D.Smith Henderson A.Smith McLean Forrest Johnston.

30,000 packed into Pittodrie on a freezing January evening to witness a superb game of football served up by both teams.
Aberdeen were the better side in the first half of a very bruising encounter, inspired with the 'Aberdeen Baxter' Jimmy Smith, who was outstanding in midfield, that saw Aberdeen take the lead through Johnston in the 27th min.
A different Rangers emerged for the second half. Three minutes after the restart, a clever flick from Forrest lines up beautifully for Mclean to run onto, and slam the ball underneath the diving Clark into the net. The game changed in an instant. The confidence was immediately sucked right out of Aberdeen, and the travelling fans joy just added to that.
Rangers pummelled them, Henderson hit the post, Alex Smith with a diving header forced Clark into another fine save.
'Eight minutes to go McLean capped perhaps his finest performance with an astonishingly slick goal.'
A clever back heel from McLean to Johnston, saw Big Dandy take the return and fire the ball low and hard into the bottom corner, for his second of the night, to give Rangers the points.

ABERDEEN 1-2 RANGERS

McLean's two goals that night brought his tally to an outrageous 55 Goals in his last 53 Games!

10 Days later, 23 year old George McLean and 22 year old Jim Forrest were told they would never play for the Rangers again.
What a suicidal decision that turned out to be.

The 66/67 season must have been an absolute sickener for our fans, and one I'm glad I was born long after.

Finished 2nd in the league, 3 points off the top but only won 1 out of the final 5 games.

Beaten by the filth in the league cup final. Knocked out the 1st round of the Scottish cup by Berwick in a massive upset. And to top it off, losing a European final 1-0
It was a tough time, especially with the filth winning everything.
We actually only suffered just one single defeat in 54 League games between early December 1966 and late April 1968, and yet we won absolutely nothing.

January 18th 1967

ABERDEEN 1-2 RANGERS

That decision damaged us for years to come,whoever made it should have been chased down Copland Road.

We played them off the park in that League Cup Final and Bobby Watson had a perfectly good goal disallowed by Tiny Wharton. Berwick was sickening but we rebounded strongly after it with Alex Willoughby hitting an incredible goalscoring streak. Willoughby did pick up an injury which set us back a wee bit but, for reasons best known only to Scot Symon, was dropped from the team once he regaiined full fitness. The biggest disappointment to me was Nuremberg on the night of 31st May 1967, We had the beating of Bayern, had a good goal disallowed and missed an absolute sitter (Hynd). Had Willoughby played that night the cup would have come back to Ibrox.

Was this Norrie Martin’s first regular season between the sticks for us?
Technically yes, but he did become First choice keeper towards the end of the 64-65 campaign, when he was given the Jersey for the final 8 games of the season.
He started the 65-66 season as our No.1, but suffered a fractured skull just 3 games into the season at Pittodrie (the second time this had happened to him), so Billy Ritchie came back in.
Ritchie started the 66-67 campaign, played the first 18 games, then Martin became first choice again for the remaining 38 games that season.
Erik Sorensen was brought in as 1st choice for the 67-68 campaign, with Martin only making 4 appearances.
Norrie Martin did regain the jersey for the 68-69 season making 53 appearances.

Pre- Berwick and for long periods over 65-66 and 66-67 seasons the Rangers attack was characterised as 'stuttering' or 'wasteful' etc in Scottish Newspapers.
In the case of McLean, he was frequently erractic and generally a polarising figure. With Jim Forrest he had arrived with a dynamic scoring record for his first two seasons - a firm favourite , but had shaded off .
Whether it was the absence of Baxter , the loss of form of others or simply the growth in Celtic's fortunes - maybe all of it.
The decision to effectively publicly blame the two for Berwick is arguably the worst 'team' decision ever.
I have always been amazed that Scot Symon didnt fight it - perhaps he fully agreed with it?

Pre- Berwick and for long periods over 65-66 and 66-67 seasons the Rangers attack was characterised as 'stuttering' or 'wasteful' etc in Scottish Newspapers.
In the case of McLean, he was frequently erractic and generally a polarising figure. With Jim Forrest he had arrived with a dynamic scoring record for his first two seasons - a firm favourite , but had shaded off .
Whether it was the absence of Baxter , the loss of form of others or simply the growth in Celtic's fortunes - maybe all of it.
The decision to effectively publicly blame the two for Berwick is arguably the worst 'team' decision ever.
I have always been amazed that Scot Symon didnt fight it - perhaps he fully agreed with it?
I doubt Symon fully agreed with it, I'm pretty sure he would have dropped both Forrest and McLean earlier, if he wasn't happy with them. I think all the ludicrous decisions taken in 67 were down to one man only, that being the Chairman John Lawrence.
Scot Symon was sacked on Nov 1st 1967, despite having suffered only one League defeat in the entire calendar year of 67' .
The previous season 1965-66 where you mention the long periods of the attack stuttering, I'm not so sure.
McLean scored 39 Goals in 34 Games, Forrest 37 Goals in 45 games.
That's 76 Goals in 79 games between them.
Not even Millar and Brand before them, or McCoist and Hateley after them, achieved so many goals between them in so few games, in a single season.
As for the absence of Baxter, we suffered 5 defeats in the 9 games that Baxter was involved in, when he returned from his injury in March 65', before he was sold to Sunderland.

Last edited:
Was this Norrie Martin’s first regular season between the sticks for us?

Ritchie was in goal for the League Cup Final at the end of October which we lost 1-0 to that mob. From memory (I was at the game) Ritchie wasn't at fault for their goal but on the following Wednesday night we played St Mirren in a league game at Love Street and Norrie Martin was in goal. I was at that game and we won 6-1. Martin became our first choice keeper from then until the end of the season.

It was character forming. I was a young lad then and had just started going to the games. The next 9 years were hard it did however enable me to put things in perspective when we lose a game now.

I have always had a theory that Ronnie Simpson broke Forrest's confidence in front of goal. From the moment Forrest came into the Rangers team it was almost as if he would never miss an easy chance. In the first 10 minutes of the 1965 League Cup Final against that mob he was clean through with two one on one's against Simpson, who saved both with his legs. Before the start of the 1966/67 season we played that mob in a midweek Glasgow Cup tie at Ibrox (80,000 attendance) when again he was clean through twice against Simpson in the first five minutes and the same thing happened. We ended up losing 4-0 that night and they never looked back after it. Forrest, on the other hand, after that never seemed to my eyes to recapture his old form.

Ritchie was in goal for the League Cup Final at the end of October which we lost 1-0 to that mob. From memory (I was at the game) Ritchie wasn't at fault for their goal but on the following Wednesday night we played St Mirren in a league game at Love Street and Norrie Martin was in goal. I was at that game and we won 6-1. Martin became our first choice keeper from then until the end of the season.
Martin was in goal for that League Cup Final.
Ritchie played in the 2-2 Semi Final v Aberdeen, and Martin came in for the replay and was our keeper for the remainder of the season.
I don't know if Ritchie was injured, or dropped, but that Semi Final was his last game for Rangers.
See post #13 above.

I doubt Symon fully agreed with it, I'm pretty sure he would have dropped both Forrest and McLean earlier, if he wasn't happy with them. I think all the ludicrous decisions taken in 67 were down to one man only, that being the Chairman John Lawrence.
Scot Symon was sacked on Nov 1st 1967, despite having suffered only one League defeat in the entire calendar year of 67' .
The previous season 1965-66 where you mention the long periods of the attack stuttering, I'm not so sure.
McLean scored 39 Goals in 34 Games, Forrest 37 Goals in 45 games.
That's 76 Goals in 79 games between them.
Not even Millar and Brand before them, or McCoist and Hateley after them, achieved so many goals between them in so few games, in a single season.
As for the absence of Baxter, we suffered 5 defeats in the 9 games that Baxter was involved in, when he returned from his injury in March 65', before he was sold to Sunderland.
I was referring to the absense of Baxter in 65-66 & 66-67 ( not just his injury lay off).
You'll know better than me...was Forrest dropped for the 66 Scot cup final replay? Or was he injured?

I totally agree with you on John Lawrence. His tenure as chairman was punctuated with some real lows and missed opportunities.
Still seems remarkable that Symon didnt support his players. Perhaps he was so old school , he chose not to go to war with his employers

Martin was in goal for that League Cup Final.
Ritchie played in the 2-2 Semi Final v Aberdeen, and Martin came in for the replay and was our keeper for the remainder of the season.
I don't know if Ritchie was injured, or dropped, but that Semi Final was his last game for Rangers.
See post #13 above.

Mo I had it in my head that it was Ritchie in the final. Thanks for the correction. :))

I was referring to the absense of Baxter in 65-66 & 66-67 ( not just his injury lay off).
You'll know better than me...was Forrest dropped for the 66 Scot cup final replay? Or was he injured?

I totally agree with you on John Lawrence. His tenure as chairman was punctuated with some real lows and missed opportunities.
Still seems remarkable that Symon didnt support his players. Perhaps he was so old school , he chose not to go to war with his employers

After Berwick, Symon's coat was on the proverbial 'shoogly peg'. A scapegoat was wanted and Forrest and McLean were 'it'! Far more supporters sympathised with Forrest than McLean. Big George was not the most popular player with many Rangers supporters of that era. The scoring burst by Alex Willoughby in the games that followed Berwick helped to buy time for Scot Symon but it only got him a further 10 months at the club. Had he made it an issue with Lawrence over the decision to of Forrest and McLean then he probably would have been axed that weekend himself.

After Berwick, Symon's coat was on the proverbial 'shoogly peg'. A scapegoat was wanted and Forrest and McLean were 'it'! Far more supporters sympathised with Forrest than McLean. Big George was not the most popular player with many Rangers supporters of that era. The scoring burst by Alex Willoughby in the games that followed Berwick helped to buy time for Scot Symon but it only got him a further 10 months at the club. Had he made it an issue with Lawrence over the decision to of Forrest and McLean then he probably would have been axed that weekend himself.
John Lawrence set Rangers back years for that decision regarding Forrest and McLean.

If even one of the two had played in Nuremberg it is a great bet we win that game. Symon was old school and that breed didn’t question the board.

Lawrence was to go one better when he sacked Symon by sending a minion around to Scots home to tell him he was finished. An act of betrayal and cowardice which wouldn’t have been out of place in the actions of Green and Ashley.

Handed the mentally challengeds 9 in a row. The board threw the baby out with the bath water after Berwick.
Mental how a Rangers board was so decisive and yet so wrong at the time.

You would normally welcome the Rangers board being so proactive, especially these days but it was such a catastrophic decision to arrive at.

Mental how a Rangers board was so decisive and yet so wrong at the time.

You would normally welcome the Rangers board being so proactive, especially these days but it was such a catastrophic decision to arrive at.
You could say we ( Murray) did the opposite when we were going for 10 when he kept Laudrup when he wanted to go and letting Walter say that he would be leaving at the end of the season. I think both were a negative on the team

I don't think Baxter's absence in the 65-66 season was much of a hindrance in the goalscoring department, as the record number of goals scored in so few games, by Forrest and McLean (76 Goals in 79 games between them) would testify.

I don't know if Forrest was injured or dropped for that Final replay.
Despite the amount goals that both players scored that season, and they both played in the Semi Final win v Aberdeen, Symon opted not to play them both together in that Final (and replay).
Symon brought Bobby Watson back into the side for that Final. Watson had not featured in any of the 10 previous games leading up to that final.
I'm guessing that Symon wanted more of a physical presence in the midfield against Celtic.
Jimmy Millar also played in midfield in both the Final and the replay, and was arguably MOTM in both games.

There was a lot of changes in the line ups leading up to that Final.
We went into March that season 2 points ahead of Celtic, and we had a superior goal average. Then disaster struck. 4 League games in March and we failed to win any of them (2 draws, 2 defeats).
I think panic might have set in at that point in the realisation that Celtic were now firm favourites to collect their first League Title in 12 years (their only Title in the previous 26 years)!
Our regular forward line of Henderson, Willoughby, Forrest, McLean and Johnston, would see many changes in the run in.
Jimmy Millar was recalled to the side, having not had a look in in the previous 7 months.
Davy Wilson came back into the side in April, having not featured at all in March.
McLean would get dropped, with Willie Johnston moving to Inside forward. Forrest would miss out when McLean got the #9 role, and we also had Alex Willoughby and Jorn Sorensen as our Inside forwards.
We did go on to win all of our last 7 League games that season, but it was not enough. That disastrous March had cost us.
Thankfully, that King Kai special in the replay got us the Scottish Cup, which turned out to be the last piece of Silverware we collected in the 1960's.

Last edited:
Lawrence should have got the jail for "sacking" Forrest and McLean i am absolutely positively we would have beaten Bayern Munich in the EWCW final. I also think we could have won the league that season

Back