2 incidents that sum up our central midfield

Raskin should be chocking at the bit to get a game and prove the manager wrong, can’t believe that Silva started last night either after his reaction when he was subbed at County either.
His reaction would you be happy to leave a pitch and turn round and see dessers still on there

His reaction would you be happy to leave a pitch and turn round and see dessers still on there
Dessers never started last night though did he? Silva did and as a result our biggest goal threat was again moved out of position to accommodate him. I don’t get it at all

I know there were many more than just the two, but, these were the ones that, for me, we're beyond being amateurish.

Lundstram - I think it was maybe about the 75 minute mark and he inexplicably headers the ball to the feet of the Dundee attacker from inside our own 18 yarder.
Primary school stuff.

Lawrence - That passage of play in the last minute. We have one last chance to break, Matondo has made the run early, you're talking a 20 yard pass but no, the imposter takes a touch too many and then flaps at the pass and puts it straight out of play.

That was our central midfield tonight. Two 'players' who cannot do the absolute basics of either defence or attack.
I think the Lawrence one just made me hate them all a little bit more. I wished I hadn't watched our last two games as it was just a waste of my time.

The sooner the season is over the better. Even if by some Marvin miracle 56 happened I would still want rid of them.

I'm not sure Lundstram has ever been good enough in the league for us. He has zero vision when it comes to making a pass more than 1 yard away, runs into spaces and leaves gaps and is a defensive midfielder that barely wins a ball.

Our midfield has no energy, pace or ball winners. We have the perfect candidate being deployed as an in effective LB just to "do a job" Barisic can just " do a job" and give us the tool to use where most battles are won. Can say all you want about Ridvan, even with his stray passes, he brings a lot of energy and drives on relentlessly

Lawrence has shown absolutely nothing as a 10. His distribution is woeful and for somebody who we're told is meant to be good at a long dig, his shooting is terrible.

The Lawrence at the start & the post injury Lawrence is just a huge difference.

He initially got about the park well, now he's a defensive liability, and hasn't hurt any opposition since Rugby Park weeks ago.

I'm not sure Lundstram has ever been good enough in the league for us. He has zero vision when it comes to making a pass more than 1 yard away, runs into spaces and leaves gaps and is a defensive midfielder that barely wins a ball.

Assists at Hibs for Ridvan & St Mirren for Dessers Gary, but his form has just left him weeks ago & he recently has shown absolutely nothing in any respect.

The main reason Sterling is playing at left back is because Yilmaz is injured and the alternative, Barasic, is an even worse defender than Tavernier. Our main problem in the last few games is the fact that our midfield either aren't able, or don't want, to do their defensive duties. In the Ross County game I lost count of the number of times a County player was allowed to pick up the ball and run unchallenged through our half, when a Rangers player picked up the ball he was immediately surrounded by two or three County players. Our players want to do the glamorous part of the game, they don't want to do the dirty part. They have thrown away a great opportunity, we won't win the league.

Assists at Hibs for Ridvan & St Mirren for Dessers Gary, but his form has just left him weeks ago & he recently has shown absolutely nothing in any respect.

I may be still pissed off from last night and have just gone all in there.

He seems to have wee purple patches of a few good games and then reverts to type though, there is no where near enough consistency. You could probably say that about most of them right enough.

The Lawrence at the start & the post injury Lawrence is just a huge difference.

He initially got about the park well, now he's a defensive liability, and hasn't hurt any opposition since Rugby Park weeks ago.
Yup, it's even more worrying that despite him being a defensive liability, Clement keeps trying to play him as a 6/8 next to Lundstram.

I may be still pissed off from last night and have just gone all in there.

He seems to have wee purple patches of a few good games and then reverts to type though, there is no where near enough consistency. You could probably say that about most of them right enough.

I think we're all sick G.

But he's been really poor since the first Benfica match. He looked exhausted that night & he's not got any better since.

As you say, we could say that about a good few of them.

Too many in our squad now who aren't athletic & now journeymen are exposing us.

I will point out the obvious with Lundstrum-the difference between his good level and bad level is massive.

But two key problems we have-until the last 2/3 games he was an absolute cornerstone of our good run. Who else has had a better season?

And the problem with dropping him is you don’t have too many options to replace him with.

I am not exempting him from criticism but the shape is a massive problem in midfield-since Diomande went out he has no partner and our number 10 just doesnt deliver and the whole system is too open

he's another in the bad injury = done category
we hoarde them

Yes, and he's in that group of very experienced professionals that should be leading & helping the youngsters develop too, and it's the older guys that have capitulated more than the youngsters Mac.

Our midfield has been a problem for a while , but the sudden drop in physicality, not tracking players or even making a tackle has been alarming in recent weeks. Any squad player should be good enough to match Ross county or Dundee , yet they haven’t turned up. Something must have happened in the dressing room following the game against the beggars, why else are our playing squad putting in performances that look like a last game of the season dead rubber?

We’ve been looking at Lundstram like he’s a warrior and someone who will lead the way when the going gets stuff. He’s simply not up to that job, he’s like a rabbit in the headlights when the going gets tough. We can’t have a rangers midfielder who zones out in key games. There’s a touch of the bornas about him sometimes. Time to offload him in the summer.

I always say this if you give 100% effort and have an off day fair enough but 11 players aren’t going to have an off day.

We show that attitude we win the last two games comfortably.

100% should be the bare minimum when you pull on that jersey.
I was the Davie McPherson thread yesterday, and say what you like about Nancy’s/Sadie’s mullet, but the big man never lacked effort in a Rangers shirt. He may not have been the best defender, and he was the first player I ever heard described as Bambi on ice, but he put 100% in to every game. As above that should be the very basic for a Rangers player. Match the effort and the talent shines through.

Yup you wonder if we have rejected his agents most recent proposal and they've decided to start looking elsewhere. A few months ago he could run the midfield by himself but now he looks lost.
I posted the same after the weekend game.

That’s the thing, when you have players giving 100% effort you can get away with 2-3 players having off days and still win football matches against teams like Dundee / Ross County most of the time.

Most of these players seem to lack heart and effort from the first whistle.
I was the Davie McPherson thread yesterday, and say what you like about Nancy’s/Sadie’s mullet, but the big man never lacked effort in a Rangers shirt. He may not have been the best defender, and he was the first player I ever heard described as Bambi on ice, but he put 100% in to every game. As above that should be the very basic for a Rangers player. Match the effort and the talent shines through.

Reactions: TQ3
Lundstram will be one of the first names on the teamsheet for Sunday, along with his mates Goldson and Tavernier.

Clement hasn’t the bottle to drop them.
I disagree.

Think the guy can just see there's no one else to put in.

Just to be clear, I am no fan of the above 3 mentioned. Don't like them one bit. I'm not thankful for the service or longevity. 55 is long gone, the road to Seville is long gone and what we've had since is failure after failure. They're not legends. They've been here so long it's hindered Rangers for years.

But there's no one else to come in. Quite literally. You could replace Balogun with Goldson, which seems like the only realy in/out you can reasonably do. I don't want Sterling at right back and there's no one that is better than Lundstram in the middle, because other alternative options are amazingly even worse. I'd have Sterling in there, but Sterling in alongside who? Lawrence, Dowell, Raskin from the cold? I can't see it.

Imo, while we're 3 points behind and the prospect of a treble is still on, he's giving them every chance before stripping them off their duties.

I don't think we go through on Sunday and there's no chance of a win at Parkhead. When we're past those, I believe we'll see the chopping board out.

If I'm wrong, we'll be searching for a new manager by September/October.

Back