23 years ago today

Made his debut a few weeks later in Gough's testimonial against Arsenal. Can't remember it, but he scored a cracker. I remember Smith saying afterwards he thought he'd be "a good signing" - a bit of an understatement!

I remember an Arsenal defender bowing before him after some great play.

May have been Lee Dixon but not sure.

Recall listening to game against Hibs in League cup early that season. Commentator went berserk when Albertz scored that night.

Made his debut a few weeks later in Gough's testimonial against Arsenal. Can't remember it, but he scored a cracker. I remember Smith saying afterwards he thought he'd be "a good signing" - a bit of an understatement!

I was there with @lalsger we won 3-0 IIRC. Then off to see Oasis at Loch Lomond that night. 23 years FFS o_O

One of my all time favourite Rangers players

Leighton got as near to that goal Albertz scored aganst hibs as he did to Coops against the sheep in the cup final.
As Davy said"Aye on the way back oot"

I don't know if anyone remembers but Albertz initial shooting from distance in his early games was erratic...when he ran up to hit that free kick against the Beggars I said why's he hitting it?

Every time "the best"chorus came around I found myself singing "Simply Albertz."

Not many midfielders in the world could fill a 13 minute goals video.

Best striker of a football Britain has ever seen. (yes, better than Bobby Charlton, imo)

He still carries Paul Lamberts teeth in his back pocket.

8vycms.jpg

Always said he was one of the greatest free kick takers on the planet, some went on about these players bending balls round the wall or up and over. Why bother when you can just go through it.

Me and my mate got our kids half season tickets as they were now old enough to appreciate it all and wanted to go.
They had been to other games but clearly nothing was going to prepare them for their first OF game.
My boy couldn't get that Sellik would have the whole stand so when we went in he just stood there in awe at the noise and the scene of it all: our ST at that time were GF1-right next to them.

Then the Hammer hit that free and his love for the Gers just turned up to 11.
The after drinks in the Clachan in KP just made the perfect day.

A stranger who walked into Glasgow Rangers and just got it.:))

My favourite player I was just too young to see Laudrup and Gazza and McCoist in their prime but loved the Hammer . Wish he would write a book about his time with us I’m sure it would do well .

One of my all time favourite players. Said it on here before, but I’ve met him a good 4 or 5 times and he’s an absolute gentleman too and when I was a kid it was a dream come true to get an autograph and photo with him.

It was brilliant having him in the side, you could be struggling to break a team down and out of nowhere he’d unleash a thunderbolt into the corner from 30 yards.

A midfielder who scored in the Scottish Cup final and semi final. In the League Cup final and semi final. Against Celtic at Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden. Home and away in the Champions League group stage, and home and away in the UEFA Cup.

And he was only with us 5 years.

Staggering.

Sure his first game in Scotland was at Forthbank. He played left back.

Lasting impression was the size if his calf muscles, in a non gay way obviously!

Back