25% turnover of squad

If we had got rid of GvB earlier we’d still be in a title fight.

Even with Beale in charge when he was appointed, a win on the of 2nd January would have made it game on.

We need to rid ourselves of the perennial losers, players that are past their best/sell by date and kick on.
Here here

Didn’t think we were speaking about other clubs/players but Jack does it for us more than others.
i said a fit Ryan Jack unfortunately he hasn’t been all season but he makes a difference when he is.
Third comment is ridiculous , my point is more of our players had his passion we would win more.

I’m with you on this one.

There is a reason that former pro pundits, former players and managers and coaches keep voting Ryan Jack man of the match.

I think I’ll accept their opinions. I suspect they maybe know more about top flight professional football than we do here.

No chance Lowry, Devine, King and McCann all progress enough to make it with us.

Unfortunately there is always a large drop off percentage within young players, as development stalls with some.
More likely they have a good run of games, attract interest from down south and get sold

Over next two or three windows. According to MB in today’s press conference.

We currently have a squad size of around 32 meaning we’re looking at around 8 coming in/going out. I know it won’t be as clear cut as that but from current squad (link below), who do you think will have moved within the next three windows?

Almost certainly;
McGregor
Davis
Helander

Likely;
Morelos
Arfield

Potentially;
Sands
Kent
Jack

Looking at the list we really need to reduce the age of key players in squad, ones below all 29+;
McGregor, McLaughlin, Goldson, Helander, Tav, Borna, Arfield, Jack, Davis, Lawrence, Colak, Roofe.
Lundstram is 29 in a few weeks.

Positives will be the wages freed up. These are all guesses;

McGregor - £12k
David - £12k
Helander - £15k
Morelos - £30k
Sands - £6k

I'd keep Arfield and Jack, mainly because they have the ability to impact games and it helps bring us to our trained in Scotland CL/Europa requirements. We could have another £4 million p/y to invest in players with just those players above leaving.

Needs to be a reduction in squad size as well as player turnover. I think we need far more in the summer window to get us to a position where subsequent ones get us anything like close to 25% overall. Squad needs a massive shake up in the summer and then more gradual changes over the subsequent 2 years.

GK - McGregor and McCrorie both go. McLaughlin stays as #2 to a new first choice GK
RB - Quite surprised to see us linked to the young Anderlecht boy who is a similar age to Devine. Tav is first choice with Devine as the back up.
CB - Helander to Malmo/ retire depending on the severity of the injury. We keep Goldson, Davies and Soutter, with King developing. Think we sign another CB in the summer.
LB - Borna to go in the next window. Yilmaz first choice and we sign another back up.
CM - Davis to retire/join the coaching staff, Kamara to be sold, Arfield and Jack get a years extension.
RW - Matondo to go on loan (perhaps part of a deal with Swansea for Whittaker), Roofe to be sold.
CF - Morelos gets sold or leaves OOC.
LW - Kent hopefully renews his contract.

I make that 9 between now and the summer transfer window.

GK - McGregor and McCrorie both go. McLaughlin stays as #2 to a new first choice GK
RB - Quite surprised to see us linked to the young Anderlecht boy who is a similar age to Devine. Tav is first choice with Devine as the back up.
CB - Helander to Malmo/ retire depending on the severity of the injury. We keep Goldson, Davies and Soutter, with King developing. Think we sign another CB in the summer.
LB - Borna to go in the next window. Yilmaz first choice and we sign another back up.
CM - Davis to retire/join the coaching staff, Kamara to be sold, Arfield and Jack get a years extension.
RW - Matondo to go on loan (perhaps part of a deal with Swansea for Whittaker), Roofe to be sold.

On your first point.

Mclaughlin is no better a keeper than McCrorie. He's a fair bit older than McCrorie.

Why not keep McCrorie, who also helps European squad registration as he's developed by the club?

Can't see McCrorie going as he fills one of the trained at club before the age of 21 slots.

I think we’re at around 9 or 10 over both windows even if this is not 100% on specifics.

In the summer I reckon we will see McGregor, McLaughlin, Davis, Morelos, helander and sands will all go. Matondo will also go out on loan I reckon as well. I can see kent signing a new deal, also think jack and arfield will sign new one year extensions. Kamara will be sold I reckon as well. Tillman will be signed permanently. Then it’ll be the summer additions on top of this windows additions to supplement the squad.

Back