25 Years Since Raith Gubbed Timmy In the League Cup Final at Ibrox

The raith keeper almost saved Shitey Galloway’s penalty, which would have been almost as hilarious as McStay missing.

Absolutely hilarious.

Winning was in Rome receiving his scarlet zucchetto from the Head Paedo at the time of the game and was being filmed for a BBC Scotland documentary. He was shown listening to this game down the phone, when McStay missed his penalty he kept repeating "Oh No Paul, Oh No Paul, Oh No Paul". :D Brilliant television.

Also Leckie(pre creepy internet dating site) penned a piece in his column eviscerating McStay for not stepping up to take the first penalty as captain and being a serial loser. Something Leckie himself became ridiculed for on these august pages.

Maybe more techno savvy Bears could source these for our collective amusement.
I remember that Leckie piece. Something about Mcstay having all the confidence of a man entering the lions den wearing a steak hat when going to take his penalty.

I was working that day and didn't see it.
My old man phoned me 5 seconds after the McStay penalty though, so I found out pretty quick.

I remember a photo of McCoist grinning like a Cheshire Cat after sending champagne to the Raith dressing room.
By the way what dressing room did Timmy have? I’d like to think HMQ was looking down giving them pelters

I watched the game in the Linn 'o' dee in Rutherglen so there was a bit of a party in there, later we went over to reardons for a couple more drinks when a couple of them came in still wearing their scarves and were greeted with a chorus of, he's green he's white his penalties are shite..............Paul Mc Stay

Was at McKinnon Mills in Coatbridge that day with my gran and grandpa. Fùck knows why, probably some early Christmas shopping or something. Got home just as Raith equalised for 2-2.

Being only 8 at the time, I wasn't really following the game with great interest. I remember thinking how strange Ibrox looked. We weren't playing, all the advertising boards had coca-cola branding, but the big screens at the corner were kinda cool :rolleyes:

Do remember "Potential" missing the penalty though and a very happy household in the aftermath.

Randomly, I associate McKinnon Mills with that day.

Was there with a Raith supporting neighbour. Was tremendous sitting in the Govan watching them %^*& it right up! Even bought a Raith Rovers flag on the way back to the car to fly out the window! :))

I remember that Leckie piece. Something about Mcstay having all the confidence of a man entering the lions den wearing a steak hat when going to take his penalty.

I'm sure Leckie's article was mentioned in the fanzine back in the day.

Think the article was entitled "Spare me the tears, McStay's been a loser for years"

I'm sure Leckie's article was mentioned in the fanzine back in the day.

Think the article was entitled "Spare me the tears, McStay's been a loser for years"
That's right. Imagine him coming away with that these days? Wtf has happened?

What a great day to support Rangers never mind Raith. I bought a Raith Rovers Coca cola cup winners 1994 wooly hat, I've still got it, think I'll look it out

I knew a bloke called Alec Orr who watched the game in The Nile - after Rovers won, he called up some slophouse like Bairds Bar and said he was a taxi driver waiting outside to pick up a Scott Thompson and could they give out a shout for him.

The barman stupidly did...

25 years ago!?!?!?! FFS!
I remember on way to the SECC to pick up my parents who had taken our boys to Disney on Ice or something. Sitting at traffic lights on Clyde Street when McStay missed his penalty and I started jumping about in the driver's seat as I watched the people in the car in front of me doing the same. When we got to the venue all the dads coming out with their weans were asking for the score, and it was easy to see from reactions who were the good guys and who were the ***s.
Worked with quite a few mentally challengeds at the time so the Monday morning was a pleasure.

Living in poetsville Whitecrook at the time and I always remember the wee ginger rat leaving from next door. His mum, Bernadette’ sees him off at the door asking ‘what time will you be back’? Wee rhat replies - I’ll be staying to see Celtic doing the lap of honour with the trophy so should be a bit late. Much chortling

Raith got one end (the Copland, I think), the filth the rest.
I was in the govan front near the broomloan with the Raith fans my mates family where from Kirkcaldy. I was about 16 at the time and going fucking mental to the extent that my mates dad asked me to calm down. Mainly because of the mentally challengeds sitting in the wrong end right next to us one tried to get a fly boot at me on the way oot. One of my favourite games !!

:))

aPXv3RX.png

My uncle phoned from offshore at FT. A house full of his sons and several cousins and friends, about 10 of us.
"2-2 going to extra time"
Phones back half an hour later and gets a running commentary of the last few pens.
"Sudden death sellicks turn here's McStay"
Cue bedlam and hilarity and the phone gets launched.
Eventually someone picks it up.
"Eh ah take it he missed then":)):)):))

I would’ve been 7 at the time and I’m sure it was the Xmas light switch on at George Square or we just went home to see them. Listened to it in my dads car and when McStay missed my old man was going nuts and beeping the horn right through the town. People must’ve thought he was nuts

I had a mouthful of cornflakes, watching on TV, as square ball Paul took his run up. What then followed was me jumping about, punching the air whilst (quite literally) choking on ma cornflakes lol but in a good way obviously ha ha
Made me chuckle. I love this stuff. Cornflakes hanging out the nostrils etc. lol

I was 15 watching that game in the house with my Dad and brother, my mum was working, and when Charlie Ridiculous scored to put them 2-1 up my dad said he was away to make dinner.

Next thing he comes running back into the room when Raith equalise after me and brother went mental.

Dinner didn’t happen till quite later on that night.

I was 11.
Didn't watch the game, was playing football with my mates in the middle of the street.
My mum literally run out the house to tell us Raith had won.
Everyone cheered. We were a staunch neighborhood!

I’d only just started going out with my wife. We were round at her parents and I casually mentioned that I was wondering how the final had gone. Her old boy put the telly on and I was surprised to see it had gone to extra time. It got in to the penalty shoot out, and I was jumping around the living room when McStay missed his penalty.

Confusion from my in-laws. They couldn’t work out why I was celebrating the Raith win so much since they thought I supported Rangers. I had to explain what it meant to see that lot losing a final to a lower league team, but I don’t think they understood. I still don’t think they do, even after all this time.

My favourite ever non Rangers game. Watched it in Maclures in Dunoon, what a party we had after Raith made it 2 - 2, you could sense the filth losing that game after that.

Scott had a life size cut out of Jimmy Nicholl that we paraded about the town that night.

Was this the game with a penalty in normal time and Andy Walker took the ball off the regular penalty taker and missed?

Or am I getting mixed up?

I have a vivid memory of the screens they used actually displaying a "congratulations Smellic" message on them while the Raith players were going mental before someone noticed it.

Much hilarity.

I still have the official DVD of the final plus I bought the Celtic view the following Wednesday absolute comedy gold

I have a vivid memory of the screens they used actually displaying a "congratulations Smellic" message on them while the Raith players were going mental before someone noticed it.

Much hilarity.
I'm sure there was a pic of it in Follow Follow.

Back