26 years ago today Gazza got the most ridiculous booking of all time.

He was a Hibs fan from Newcraighall and was in Pat Stanton’s class at school before he moved west

Wrong Smith it was George Smith :)):)):)
George Smith worked with my grandad (who was not a football fan), when Smith started with him, he asked after a while if being a practicing crash barrier would hold him back at work, he also professed a strong dislike for the Gers and most things not RC

I knocked back a ffee ticket for that game. Not my best decision it has to be said. :)

George Smith worked with my grandad (who was not a football fan), when Smith started with him, he asked after a while if being a practicing crash barrier would hold him back at work, he also professed a strong dislike for the Gers and most things not RC
As the crow flies I live less than a mile from where both he and Stanton lived.

I was there, Copland rear that day.
What a performance, maybe I am just old and bitter, but I don't believe any patter the ref has subsequently given out about regret.
He will have loved the attention of being featured in sports reports all over the globe.

The Bears went from laughing to raging in in a split second,The only comparison was Hallidays second yellow resulting in a sending off at Morton for a fist pump.

Remember watching the game on ceefax, more simple times.
Indeed mate!

hcJarDEN8J06_KNl1qNmw5xVcijmVf9GVFtVhWZ-QDDJiBKglSnSQ4a3LJaj2ylYEPH2qImF-QxrDnx5BoVeO0uKlxReqCIvktgae3FbtCOSlskSa3uMryVfF1jV6xWnPtK4zYmgMeMM

I was there, in my old seat in the Copland rear. Probably the coldest I’ve ever been at a game.

Great game, and the 4th goal was a stoater!!

Love how the tims are convinced there was a conspiracy against them. Yet, I keep seeing clips from the 90s of referees giving poor decisions against us (and other teams). This being one of them.

This was the game I took my son to his 1st match
I couldn't explain the booking of Gazza to him at the time & I still can't

I also had a bit of trouble making him understand that 7 -0 wins wouldn't happen every week

Pathetic and embarrassing from the ref.

Always pissed me off that he never saw it for the laugh that it was lol

Dougie Smith was my boss for some time after this and would never discuss it. Quite rightly, he took pelters and didn't referee big games after it but he did work for SFA for sometime after it

Ironically, he was one of the best bosses I ever had but what the fk was he thinking that day

Pathetic and embarrassing from the ref.

Always pissed me off that he never saw it for the laugh that it was lol
Ever made a mistake at work, did or said something you've instantly regretted?
I know I have.

Put yourself in the Referees shoes. He is in a position of authority on the pitch and thought he was being openly mocked and ridiculed in front of both teams.

Now, if he had the speed of thought to realise the card Gazza was showing him was actually his, laughed it off and walked away then happy days.

But he got it horribly wrong and its well known he was devastated by it, ruined him as a ref and you can't help feel a bit sorry for him.

Just talking about it on Talksport there. Gazza showing the yellow card to the ref as he had dropped it on the pitch and he reacted by showing Gazza the card for real. Gave Hibs a damn good thrashing that day.

Can’t believe that was 26 years ago. Time flys right enough.

Couldn't go that day because I had to pick my old man up from hospital, but what a brilliant result, with some brilliant goals- especially Gazza's for 4-0. Gazza's booking was completely ridiculous and even Hibs players protested against it- notably Jim Leighton, who generally comes across as a decent guy.

A great day of football. Cold, but our display was outstanding. Laudrup incredible that day, almost a forerunner of the SCF with Laudrup and Durie running riot against Hearts.

Knew the ref well. Always regretted doing it.

Been dead a while now I believe.
He’s my best friends uncle & still alive & in good health. He’s never been allowed to forget that moment to this day, certainly not by me & my friend anyway :)

He’s my best friends uncle & still alive & in good health. He’s never been allowed to forget that moment to this day, certainly not by me & my friend anyway :)
Maybe confusing him with Jim McCluskey.

Your best friend isnt S McK by any chance?

Maybe confusing him with Jim McCluskey.

Your best friend isnt S McK by any chance?
No we are all from Troon & definitely him. He was at my friends wedding a couple of years ago. He was videoing it & made an arse of that also

Back