2nd rejection for Scott Arfield bid to open a pub on Copland Road

Arfield should say that he's opening a peasant slophouse. GCC would issue a licence in a heartbeat.
Totally agree, they have given Der Beliner in Merchant City a license to show football matches even though local residents have complained about the place.

A boozer next a football stadium owned a popular ex player of the club - nada wrong with the business plan.

Louden is rammed and so is NEH.

The crux of the issue here is they’ve seen it’s something good for Rangers fans and went “%^*& that”.
I think the crux of the issue is that the people who live above it don't want it.

A pub near door to a football stadium will not fail to make money if ran properly
Over the course of a year there might be say 25 match days

Yes it will be rammed on those days but there is only so much you can sell

What about the other 340 days a year

I would not be looking to set up a new pub in the current climate

The residents that complained about Der Berliner in Merchant city didn't get listened too. They still got their licences to show matches in their establishment even though they have complaints against them.
Can you see the difference between buying a flat in the city centre where pubs are every ten foot and at the bottom of most residential buildings versus one in Govan that's never been a pub before?

Can you see the difference between buying a flat in the city centre where pubs are every ten foot and at the bottom of most residential buildings versus one in Govan that's never been a pub before?
When the residents in the merchant city bought their flats, it wouldnt have the same style of establishments that are there now. Its totally different area now.

I disagree. If I lived on that part of the Copland Road I don't think that I would want another pub very close by.
It’s only really going to be busy on a match day.

If anything, it should ease traffic and transport before and after games. Punters will arrive early or leave the area later preventing larger queues for buses, the underground etc.

Wish Scotty all the best. My tuppence worth would be that he holds off and tries to find a location near the river, perhaps on the West End side and go down the gastropub route. Compared to London, Glasgow sorely lacks nicely furnished/good decor pubs that also serve good food. Could still adapt on matchdays, shift the music from Luke Combs and Morgan Wallen to Lisa from Battalion!

"misinformed grievance" ? So,the reports in the media stating the residents of The merchant city's complaints are "misinformed"?
I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about the fact you can’t grasp that Arfield isn’t getting his pub because it contravenes the local development plan.

You actually believe that is the reason! Oh dear! :oops:
Yes. It is the reason. There is no anti-Rangers conspiracy in the planning department. Ffs.

Basically what you are saying is we should listen to the merchant city residents because they don’t want a restaurant to show football, but we shouldn’t listen to the residents of Copland Road when an ex Rangers player wants to open a pub below flats in direct contravention of the development plan.

You are incapable of viewing the issue outside of a Rangers/Celtic lens. It’s absolutely mental.

Yes. It is the reason. There is no anti-Rangers conspiracy in the planning department. Ffs.

Basically what you are saying is we should listen to the merchant city residents because they don’t want a restaurant to show football, but we shouldn’t listen to the residents of Copland Road when an ex Rangers player wants to open a pub below flats in direct contravention of the development plan.

You are incapable of viewing the issue outside of a Rangers/Celtic lens. It’s absolutely mental.

Just out of interest, what is the development plan?

Also what is mental about highlighting the double standards at play here?

'Shettletlston' pub under a block of flats is allowed.

What will undoubtedly be a Rangers orientated pub under a block of flats is not allowed.

For the record, I think it's a bonkers decision to want to open a pub there anyway. You'd certainly get trade on a match day, but I doubt it would be busy the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, what is the development plan?

Also what is mental about highlighting the double standards at play here?

'Shettletlston' pub under a block of flats is allowed.

What will undoubtedly be a Rangers orientated pub under a block of flats is not allowed.

For the record, I think it's a bonkers decision to want to open a pub there anyway. You'd certainly get trade on a match day, but I doubt it would be busy the rest of the week.

It’s about change of use. If there was already a pub where Arfield wanted to open his, it wouldn’t be an issue. But changing from one use to another requires planning permission, and that won’t be granted if the new use isn’t inline with the development plan.

There isn’t a double standard. It only looks like double standards if people choose to ignore the evidence to the contrary.

I think SA is badly advised here regarding this as a business plan. An extremely busy pub across the road, Lodge Corkerhill doing decent business on match also, and a Sports Bar opening in the Stadium.
Might just want to do it not as if he’s skint

It’s a huge planning document that sets out the aims and intentions for how the city will develop over a time period, can’t remember how many years. Then it gets revised again.

But knocking down the tenements will not be part of that plan, so I don't think it's mental to look at things through a Rangers/yahoo lens.

Gastro pub is allowed to open in a yahoo dominated area under a block of flats.

What would undoubtedly be a Rangers pub under a block of flats is not allowed.

Now, I've edited the post you have replied to and have made the same points.

I think business wise it is a bonkers decision to want to open a pub where Scott Arfield wants. It will get full to the brim trade on a match day, it will get very little, the rest of the week.

Unless he just wants to open it on a match day, which to me makes little sense. But what do I know?

But knocking down the tenements will not be part of that plan, so I don't think it's mental to look at things through a Rangers/yahoo lens.

Gastro pub is allowed to open in a yahoo dominated area under a block of flats.

What would undoubtedly be a Rangers pub under a block of flats is not allowed.

Now, I've edited the post you have replied to and have made the same points.

I think business wise it is a bonkers decision to want to open a pub where Scott Arfield wants. It will get full to the brim trade on a match day, it will get very little, the rest of the week.

Unless he just wants to open it on a match day, which to me makes little sense. But what do I know?

As I said - it’s a change of use that’s the key issue. Also, the city centre has different guidance to other areas. But that’s neither here nor there in this case.

It’s about change of use. If there was already a pub where Arfield wanted to open his, it wouldn’t be an issue. But changing from one use to another requires planning permission, and that won’t be granted if the new use isn’t inline with the development plan.

There isn’t a double standard. It only looks like double standards if people choose to ignore the evidence to the contrary.

You obviously know more about this stuff than me, so you have me at a disadvantage.

But if you want to believe in the integrity of the GCC, then that's your choice.

As I said - it’s a change of use that’s the key issue. Also, the city centre has different guidance to other areas. But that’s neither here nor there in this case.

This change of use, has that always been a thing?

I'm asking because I've never heard of it before, so this is a school day.

You obviously know more about this stuff than me, so you have me at a disadvantage.

But if you want to believe in the integrity of the GCC, then that's your choice.
To be honest, there are many things GCC do which lack integrity. But I don’t think the planning department and their handling of basic planning applications is one of them.

The premises previously wasnt a pub, Arfield wants to open a pub, the residents above dont want a pub, what is it you dont understand?

Locations never remain the same. There are private residences near almost every pub or bar in the city. What is so special about these residents, mate.?

The premises previously wasnt a pub, Arfield wants to open a pub, the residents above dont want a pub, what is it you dont understand?
The residents in the Merchant city didnt want Der Berliner to get a license to show football matches which would turn their establishment into more of a sports bar from a restaurant but ,GCC didn't listen to them

If its all about " change of use" and clearly the Merchant city residents objected to their license then why have GCC have them a licence to show matches.

Yeah, that’s been the case for years.

I'm not expecting to you to know exactly, but is it a recent thing?

Because The Granary pub/diner was a tram depot until the trams stopped in 1962.

The Italian restaurant; 'The Batttlefield Rest' just below where the Victoria Infirmary used to be and now across from the new building, was once I'm sure a bus depot, and that transformation would have came about in the mid to late 1990s.

For the record the one and only time I was in it, the food was excellent.

The residents in the Merchant city didnt want Der Berliner to get a license to show football matches which would turn their establishment into more of a sports bar from a restaurant but ,GCC didn't listen to them

If its all about " change of use" and clearly the Merchant city residents objected to their license then why have GCC have them a licence to show matches.
That isn’t a change of use in terms of Planning Permission. They didn’t have to make a planning application as it wasnt changing usage class.

Why don’t you read the Development Plan, or learn about the planning system?

Might put your mind at ease.

Wondering why anyone would want to open another Rangers bar around Ibrox when there are plenty bars around and the club has opened NEH.

Does nobody think a Rangers bar in the city centre would work? Only one as far as I know is Oswalds.

Any bar located close to one of the subway stations may work.

Near Bridge Street or St Enoch Square, although aware bars near bridge street have closed over recent years.

Are Rangers themed bars not likely to pull in the punters unlike tim bars where the punters tend to stick to their own?

I wouldn't want a pub underneath my flat, even if it wasn't a football/sports pub tbh

I've read the excuses. They don't make sense.
It's not "excuses" mate. It's planning policy reasons.

Look at post #35 which quotes directly from the city plan guidance. Then tell me, if you're employed by the Council to uphold that guidance, what you'd put in your report about why you've just ignored what it says and approved the application anyway?

Back