32 years ago today: world cup Italia. Whats your memories?

The very fact that we had entrusted Andy fcucking Roxburgh with the job of running the National Team was the beginning of the end of any hope of moderate success.

That soul destroying game against Costa Rica. The aforementioned twat of a manager selecting old bowly legs over Goram and Alan McInally ahead of Super Ally still gets me angry.

A much more enjoyable World Cup after we were home…..as usual!

An Italy - England final would probably have been a more fitting finale.

Higuita's blunder to gift Roger Milla a second Cameroon goal.

On a sidenote, England team had four Rangers players(Butcher, Stevens, Woods & Steven), more than any other English team and Scotland had three plus soon-to-be Bears Goram, McCall, Durie & McPherson.

First WC I saw in NA. Telling everyone how great Scotland were and then they go and lose to Costa Rica.

Embarrassing to say the least.

Of the finals themselves, the England/Germany game is what sticks in the memory. Big Butcher playing with the bloodied bandage and Gazza’s tears at getting booked.

Just about to say a wee size 1 football from Wullie Lows
I Could not remember that name at all. Got one of those from the Dingwall shop when I was 8. I remember parts of it, England vs West Germany being one, but Pavarotti is the main memory I have.

Also, can't believe that 32 years before that it was 1958 & Pele was just being announced to the world. Being shown a photo or video of 1958 in 1990 seemed like something so far away I couldn't grasp it. Yet 1990 feels like yesterday to me in some ways. I know that's a completely random point, but thought I'd share anyway .

Scenes when David Platt scored that last min winner v Belgium.

Playing Cameroon who had 4 players suspended in the quarters and being 2-1 down with 7 mins left

The assault on Caniggia in the opening game.

Flying back to England on the day of the opening match. Pilot announced Argentina had lost to cheers from the whole plane

Trying to be a wideo and pull a sicky at lunchtime at school to get up the road early for the Costa Rica game only to be kept in the medical room until the end of the day.

It was in here I met a nutter who decided to jump out the window on the first floor to escape and hurt himself pretty badly.

Then, on the bus home, some clouds roll in (it might even have started raining) and my mate said “that’s not a good sign for the game” and I replied “nah, it’s only Costa Rica”.

I made a decision that day never to bet on football

Traveling for 40 hrs from Glasgow Govan to Rimini Italy on a bus what a culture shock passing the San Siro early Sunday morning after i had watched the opening game Argentina Cameroon on the friday night in the house some stadium and then a great atmosphere at the two games against Costa Rica and Sweden in Sampdorias new stadium in Genoa .Brazil game not as good but doing the conga with a load of scantily clad Brazilian ladies at least i think they were ladies was tremendous outside Juventus stadium in Turin.Changed days now i dont even put the tv on to watch Scotland .

Trying to be a wideo and pull a sicky at lunchtime at school to get up the road early for the Costa Rica game only to be kept in the medical room until the end of the day.

It was in here I met a nutter who decided to jump out the window on the first floor to escape and hurt himself pretty badly.

Then, on the bus home, some clouds roll in (it might even have started raining) and my mate said “that’s not a good sign for the game” and I replied “nah, it’s only Costa Rica”.

I made a decision that day never to bet on football

I recall being sat in music class that day and asking my mate sat next to me what he thought the score would be.

"3-0 to scotland"

There was no doubt at all we were winning that game. It was a shoe in.

These days costa rica would be the favourites.

Italia 90 was the first World Cup I watched properly.

Memories....

- Getting beat of Costa Rica
- Murdo McLeod getting KO'd
- Epic Scotland top
- Rangers players playing for England
- Gazza
- Roger Milla
- The Mega Drive game
- Nessun Dorma

The worst World Cup I had ever watched to that point (first I remember watching pretty much all the games was 78).

Now accompanied by USA 94 and SA 2010 as the worst three. SA had some decent football but I absolutely hated due to those stupid vulvas volvos vuvuzelas noisy trumpety feckers.

First WC I saw in NA. Telling everyone how great Scotland were and then they go and lose to Costa Rica.

Embarrassing to say the least.

Of the finals themselves, the England/Germany game is what sticks in the memory. Big Butcher playing with the bloodied bandage and Gazza’s tears at getting booked.
That didn't happen in the finals, that was a qualifier against Sweden.

My memories of the tournament, well, I was in Italy for 4 weeks and went to 14 games I think. 1st game was Italy v the Czechs and Baggio's goal. The England/Belgium game was a nightmare. I'd blagged a lift to the game with a guy from Doha. Police would not let me leave the stadium with him after the game, purely on colour of my skin. Stood in a packed school bus for 2 hours outside the ground in outrageous heat. People were passing out. Eventually got to the train station with 20 mins to spare. Stood on the steps trying to find my Da who went to get drink for the train. Carnage in the streets below. Full on riot going on. The police approached me and asked, in English, if I was English? I answered no, sono Irlandese. He then asked the same question to the 2 guys standing next to me. They answered yes. He said you need to come with me, it is not safe. A few days later, I was sitting in a campsite in Lido de Jesolo, reading some fellas Daily Mirror and the 2 guys that were standing beside me were in the paper saying how they were deported!

At the Cameroon/England game Naples was made 'dry'. I took the ferry over to Capri. I did not get to see Gracie Fields' house or the blue grotto, as the cafe at the dock sold perroni. There may only have been 3 people in the ground that night who saw a fantastic match with a very healthy glow in their cheeks that was not caused by the sun. B-D

FBS

The very fact that we had entrusted Andy fcucking Roxburgh with the job of running the National Team was the beginning of the end of any hope of moderate success.

That soul destroying game against Costa Rica. The aforementioned twat of a manager selecting old bowly legs over Goram and Alan McInally ahead of Super Ally still gets me angry.

A much more enjoyable World Cup after we were home…..as usual!

An Italy - England final would probably have been a more fitting finale.
‘McInally is the danger, he’s their Van Basten’

That didn't happen in the finals, that was a qualifier against Sweden.

My memories of the tournament, well, I was in Italy for 4 weeks and went to 14 games I think. 1st game was Italy v the Czechs and Baggio's goal. The England/Belgium game was a nightmare. I'd blagged a lift to the game with a guy from Doha. Police would not let me leave the stadium with him after the game, purely on colour of my skin. Stood in a packed school bus for 2 hours outside the ground in outrageous heat. People were passing out. Eventually got to the train station with 20 mins to spare. Stood on the steps trying to find my Da who went to get drink for the train. Carnage in the streets below. Full on riot going on. The police approached me and asked, in English, if I was English? I answered no, sono Irlandese. He then asked the same question to the 2 guys standing next to me. They answered yes. He said you need to come with me, it is not safe. A few days later, I was sitting in a campsite in Lido de Jesolo, reading some fellas Daily Mirror and the 2 guys that were standing beside me were in the paper saying how they were deported!

At the Cameroon/England game Naples was made 'dry'. I took the ferry over to Capri. I did not get to see Gracie Fields' house or the blue grotto, as the cafe at the dock sold perroni. There may only have been 3 people in the ground that night who saw a fantastic match with a very healthy glow in their cheeks that was not caused by the sun. B-D

FBS
Recall 246 fans being deported prior to the Belgium game. 246 being the exact number of seats on the specially chartered aircraft - not saying it was a stitch up or anything

Staying in a place called Catolica which was 5 hours away by coach from both Stadiums, first two games in Genoa had lovely weather and then it was pissing down in Torino for the Brazil game, Torino was a dive tbh.

Harry Hynds Travel at its very best.

The Cameroon national teams full blown assault of Claudio caniggia.

Murdo mcleod blocking a free kick with his face. He won't remember that.

Mojo's miss against Brazil.

Lothar Matthaus being cunty.

The white top with yellow and blue stripes.

Rijkaard and voeller swapping spit.
I’m sure I read somewhere that Coisty swapped places in the wall with Murdo Macleod at Branco’s free kick.No wonder they called him golden bollocks.

Cameroons assassination attempts on cannigia.
Gazzas tears.
Linekar shitting himself.
Schillacis entrance to world football.
Rjikard v voller gobbing spat.
Matheus goal v yugoslavia

Sweden game is the standout memory as there was some do at an Aunty’s house so most of the family were there to watch it.

KP Secondary used to finish at 1555 and we lived about a mile and a half away from the school so there was a few mad sprints to get back home for the 1610 games.

Despite Roxburgh making a Royal Cnut of things by not starting Ally against Costa Rica, I’d say it’s still one of my favourite tourneys.

Had been to our games in Germany (74) & Spain (82). 1990 panned out as follows.

Picking up a coach at Kings Cross. It had travelled down from the east coast, probably Fife. Ended up on the Adriatic coast where a fire in the hotel the night before the Sweden game meant we ended up staying in Rimini & Cattolica/Riccione.
Long coach journey to all 3 games. Local bar laid on breakfast & the previous nights match on our return. Losing my coach after Sweden game but somehow got a lift back. Awful weather @ the Brazil match. Guy on bus on way back going mental about our fans wearing Brazil tops. First game gutted, second elated, third game as usual was “what could have been”. Brazil were a shadow of that 1982 team.

We still had a slim chance to qualify so I waved a fond farewell to my bus, stayed an extra 3 days free of charge in the hotel and flew home for £50. Probably got home to Kent before the bus got to Scotland.

My first world Cup that I remember and it brings back great memories.

The best:
Scotland beating Sweden.
Cameroon emerging as a suprise package.
Gazza on the big stage.
West Germany top and shell suit.
England having a good tournament.
Italy only loosing 1 goal and getting dumped in the semis.
First time watching Brazil
The 1990 balls.
The small Italia 90 mascot from Esso.

The worst:
Costa 'bloody' Rica broke my heart.
Jum Leighton against Brazil
Gazza being booked in the semi.
The final a dull game after such good games previously.
Ally McCoist not starting in first 2 games.
Gascoigne being the best player in the world at that point.

Whenever I hear Nessun Dorma it reminds me of Italia 90.

As well as what other posters have previously said I remember the quirky TV graphics at the start of each game, the two competing teams flags on flagpoles, the starting 11's been shown from recordings presumably taken from training camp (and none of them look happy doing it) and the half time & full-time analysis being in Italian.

"never heard of Costa Rica, do they play football?" 90 minutes later :D

also playing football and trying to renact moments from the World Cup with my mates, sort of a "Phoenix From The Flames" thing from Fantasy Football League but in the current moment

mostly just people doing the Roger Milla dance when scoring a goal

Whenever I hear Nessun Dorma it reminds me of Italia 90.

As well as what other posters have previously said I remember the quirky TV graphics at the start of each game, the two competing teams flags on flagpoles, the starting 11's been shown from recordings presumably taken from training camp (and none of them look happy doing it) and the half time & full-time analysis being in Italian.
Gascoigne mouthing %^*& off when the images of the players starting were shown

Heart and Hand did a series on it a couple of years ago. It’s in the archives. It’s the absolute bollocks too. There’s also one on Euro 96 and I think France 98.

Nessun dorma
World in motion(?)
Costa Rica
Beating Sweden
Leighton v Brazil
The 'sad song' they played when we were put out, Richard Marx song I think and a 9 year old me in tears...

Platt volley v Belgium
Schillaci lighting the tournament up
The wee coca-cola soccer balls

Jurgen Klinsman refusing to meet the Pope when the rest of the German squad did was my other highlight. :cool:
Klinsman loyal!

My uncle went and brought me back loads of flags and scarfs. Also a life sized World Cup shaped bottle of red wine. Not the best present for a 7 year old

Only world cup that Ive actually attended, great times in a wee Italian resort called Alassio. When the majority of the Scotland support was still Rangers supporters. Drink bans the day of the games that were completely ignored . Bitter disappointment at the Costa Rica game, scenes at the Sweden game, more disappointment against Brazil. Rangers being the most represented team in the England squad. The Germans doing the German thing, being underwhelming all tournament and then winning it. When Italy played the Italians all seemed to dress like they were going to a wedding to go out and watch it in boozers.
My only World Cup trip. Stayed in Rimini, great bars and beach. Fantastic atmosphere in the town during the games. Attended Colombia v Yugoslavia and Brazil v Scotland. Scotland were a disgrace that match, never watched them again. I thought it was a great world cup overall.

Was only 6 but still have loads of memories. Mainly because after it finished we taped the programme which had the highlights from every game and I watched it every day for months.

Remember the England and Cameroon game had not long started and my Dad saying Cameroon would beat them no bother and Platt opening the scoring to silence him mid-sentence.

My first world cup or at least that I can remember well!! Still my favourite!!!

My old man was English, remember watching the Belgium game where England scored a brilliant goal by Platt in the last seconds.

I was raging - i really wanted it to go to pens!!

Pretty much an awful tournament compared with the previous one in 86. Extremely dull for the most part and so bad they even changed the rules after it (backpass) Brazil and Argentina both being total crap. McCoist not getting picked until the last group game baffled everyone.

Yugoslavia probably should have gone further but spent most of their QF trying to take the piss out of Argentina rather than actually scoring goals even playing with 10 men for the majority...Maradona said that Stojkovic ran the show.
Klinsmann took diving to a whole new level.
West Germany probably deserved to win but Italy, Yugoslavia or even England had a right good shout.

I was at Lyde/Hythe doing my NI training before a posting to Belfast,
I remember watching the West Germany
v Hollland game in the NAAFI when Rikjaard gobbed in Vollers hair,

My first world cup or at least that I can remember well!! Still my favourite!!!

My old man was English, remember watching the Belgium game where England scored a brilliant goal by Platt in the last seconds.

I was raging - i really wanted it to go to pens!!
England had a really good team at that WC

Back