4231 and our ability to blow teams away.

Raumdeuter

During the early season, everyone was seriously impressed by how Kent, Hagi, Morelos and Aribo were so fluid. Teams had no idea how to deal with it and we were playing some of the best attacking football that we have in decades. Then we sign a number 9 who is absolutely tailor made for a system like that in Roofe and sort of stop using it before he was able to get up to speed.

Once Aribo got injured and Arfield had to play we reverted to the 4321 to better suit his skillset, Arfield was unbelievably good for a fairly lengthy spell so that became our go to setup again and the 4231 with that level of fluidity wasn't really seen again until today.

It's no coincidence in my view that bringing this setup back is what enabled some of the performances we saw yesterday. That 3 behind the striker were all absolutely outstanding and it's the first time in a while they've all been at it at the same time.

The 4321 gives us so much stability in bigger matches and absolutely shouldn't be abandoned but I really think we should see more of our other setup going forward. We should be recruiting for both of them too.

Gerrard made the point in his post match that he’s been telling Kamara and Davis to play more forward passes, be more attacking. That’s the difference between 2 CMs who just sit in vs 2 CMs who supply the 6 in front of them.

Big difference in how we use those two now compared to Livingston away when everyone said we didn’t need holding CMs.

During the early season, everyone was seriously impressed by how Kent, Hagi, Morelos and Aribo were so fluid. Teams had no idea how to deal with it and we were playing some of the best attacking football that we have in decades. Then we sign a number 9 who is absolutely tailor made for a system like that in Roofe and sort of stop using it before he was able to get up to speed.

Once Aribo got injured and Arfield had to play we reverted to the 4321 to better suit his skillset, Arfield was unbelievably good for a fairly lengthy spell so that became our go to setup again and the 4231 with that level of fluidity wasn't really seen again until today.

It's no coincidence in my view that bringing this setup back is what enabled some of the performances we saw yesterday. That 3 behind the striker were all absolutely outstanding and it's the first time in a while they've all been at it at the same time.

The 4321 gives us so much stability in bigger matches and absolutely shouldn't be abandoned but I really think we should see more of our other setup going forward. We should be recruiting for both of them too.

You say 4321 shouldn’t be abandoned but then say we should see more of our other set up?

If all players were fit, the set up gets adjusted to whoever the opposition are.

Gerrard made the point in his post match that he’s been telling Kamara and Davis to play more forward passes, be more attacking. That’s the difference between 2 CMs who just sit in vs 2 CMs who supply the 6 in front of them.

Big difference in how we use those two now compared to Livingston away when everyone said we didn’t need holding CMs.
Was noticeable that we were quicker going forward and moved the ball more.

Think it was Kent who said in post match interview that Gerrard has been saying to the players to take less touches due to to the state of the pitch.

Hagi was superb yesterday, I would love to have everyone fully fit and flying and destroy them at Sharkheid with that style of 4-2-3-1.

Was noticeable that we were quicker going forward and moved the ball more.

Think it was Kent who said in post match interview that Gerrard has been saying to the players to take less touches due to to the state of the pitch.

Hagi was superb yesterday, I would love to have everyone fully fit and flying and destroy them at Sharkheid with that style of 4-2-3-1.
It helps when teams want to chase us and aren’t just sitting in two lines. Once that space opens up we’re brilliant at using it!

Going there and doing that to them would be awesome. What a way to have 6 attackers. Must give the defenders nightmares!

It helps when teams want to chase us and aren’t just sitting in two lines. Once that space opens up we’re brilliant at using it!

Going there and doing that to them would be awesome. What a way to have 6 attackers. Must give the defenders nightmares!
Even better, well every bit as comforting, is that all the attackers are quite happy, willing and able to become defenders when they need to.
We truly are a team unit.

Yesterday was brilliant.
I love to see us pressing for the mistake, and then moving the ball quickly and tearing teams apart.
No team in Scotland can live with us when we do that and it has been successful in Europe too.

Even better, well every bit as comforting, is that all the attackers are quite happy, willing and able to become defenders when they need to.
We truly are a team unit.
Absolutely! And the best bit about that is the transition from defence to attack “get it back and you can do your thing” don’t rely on others to get it for you.

I love that we hunt in packs, chasing them down and blocking routes at the same time. It’s a brilliant system.

Good footballers all over the pitch,that's the difference.Good players can play in any system.

Players form has peaks and troughs throughout the season and every player played well yesterday. When that happens our opposition will suffer.

Am I missing something?

From above "4231 with that level of fluidity wasn't really seen again until today.

Quote from Gerrard yesterday "We flipped the formation a bit to a 4-3-2-1 to be a bit more bold and aggressive and really take the game to Ross County and I thought we looked really dangerous throughout."

Am I missing something?

From above "4231 with that level of fluidity wasn't really seen again until today.

Quote from Gerrard yesterday "We flipped the formation a bit to a 4-3-2-1 to be a bit more bold and aggressive and really take the game to Ross County and I thought we looked really dangerous throughout."
Should have added, agree with OP, as it looked like 4231 to me as well, with Kent left, Hagi more central and Aribo right. However, there was a lot of interchangeable play.

2-1 win at the piggery and Braga at home, the atmosphere in the 2nd half against Braga is probably the best I've ever experienced !

Play Aribo further forward in a number 10 role/coming off the right hand side behind the striker and he will destroy teams that's his best position it's blatantly obvious now I thought he was sensational at times yesterday and the goal was incredible.

In the league we should be ok against most teams going 4-2-3-1 against the mentally challengeds/Aberdeen/Hibs away etc go 4-3-2-1 and in Europe we go with the same set up that's done us well.

Our play yesterday was absolutely fantastic at times. Some of the one touch powerful and quick passing is the best I’ve ever seen in a Rangers team. Would be amazing if this was how we could take things for the majority of the games left to clinch 55.

Back