48 years ago, Scottish Cup Final - DJ scores before the official kick off time

Although i was still young The fact I was 100% sure I watched them live, plus for the fact that 123,000 supporters were at the 73 cup final why was it not live?

I cannot tell you why it wasn't live. All I know is the SC final or LC final were never televised live up here. Probably by The SFA rules at the time.

I'm assuming the 55 final (Clyde and the filth) was a one off experiment.

I don't know what change in the rules came about, that meant from 77 onwards the SC finals were televised live.

As far as I can recall, the LC being televised live came about in mid 80s. Possibly the McCoist hat trick final in 84?

I cannot tell you why it wasn't live. All I know is the SC final or LC final were never televised live up here. Probably by The SFA rules at the time.

I don't know what change in the rules came about, that meant from 77 onwards the SC finals were televised live.

As far as I can recall, the LC being televised live came about in mid 80s. Possibly the McCoist hat trick final in 84?
Didn't League games sometimes get played on Cup Final days so that have affected live broadcasts

LC 84 (McCoist hat trick) was the 1st live final

Didn't League games sometimes get played on Cup Final days so that have affected live broadcasts

LC 84 (McCoist hat trick) was the 1st live final

That's a good point and most probably correct.

Obviously, there was a change in the attitudes by the authorities, and a change of rules from season 76/77 onwards.

As you will also know, we won two LC finals in the same calendar year of 1984. McCoist hat trick and Ian Ferguson's goal v Dun Utd, later on in the year.

That's a good point and most probably correct.

Obviously, there was a change in the attitudes by the authorities, and a change of rules from season 76/77 onwards.

As you will also know, we won two LC finals in the same calendar year of 1984. McCoist hat trick and Ian Ferguson's goal v Dun Utd, later on in the year.
Clearly there was change in attitude in terms of live broadcast of the final from 1977

Yeah when they changed the format and scheduling of the LC at time meant we won it in the same calendar year

I was 14/15 and living in a small village just outside Larkhall. Was the first season where I went home/away every game on the supporters bus. We waited on the bus to take us into Larkhall and a few minutes before it was due a mate said you got your ticket. I didn’t so had to do a mad sprint back to the house and then back to the bus stop.

Was a brilliant season and maybe my favourite as a Rangers supporter. DJ was brilliant. Bobby McKean was brilliant in every game where he got the nod. I remember he made one of the goals in the final.

Big DJ was a legend for us, oh how we could do with someone like him now, had a great football brain on him, even when he was a teenager, FFS he was centre half in a major European cup final at 18 years of age...Love the big man, met him a few times at supporters events, a very nice guy
Brilliant Striker.
Probably 1 of best in Britain at that time

Clearly there was change in attitude in terms of live broadcast of the final from 1977

Yeah when they changed the format and scheduling of the LC at time meant we won it in the same calendar year

In all my time, the LC final was always the first title of the season, usually the final was played in the last weekend in October.

I remember the 73/74 season the final between Dundee and that lot being played in the December. Don't know if that had anything to do with the three-day week etc.

As was the 82/83 final, us v them, again played in the Dec.

For whatever reason 83/84 was scheduled for the March and the format reverted to type for the next season, thus the two finals in the one year.

In all my time, the LC final was always the first title of the season, usually the final was played in the last weekend in October.

I remember the 73/74 season the final between Dundee and that lot being played in the December. Don't know if that had anything to do with the three-day week etc.

For whatever reason 83/84 was scheduled for the March and the format reverted to type for the next season, thus the two finals in the one year.
Can remember Rangers played Hibs in 1979 (?) Cup Final - took 2 Replays - seemed to go on forever

Not only was there no live tv, I can recall when radio coverage began only for the 2nd half. It is the1969 SC Final vs them and 12 year old yours truly is eagerly awaiting to hear the dulcet tones of Davis Francie as I'm confident we are ahead, having only heard the Rangers crowd from our house in Toryglen. ''Wellcome to Hampden Park where the half time score is Celtic 3 Rangers 0. Whaaaat!!!!

Yes the 84 game was live I recorded it as I was at the game.

Big squad of us all from Albert Secondry met in Springburn the no 37 over to Hampden, no chance of us missing the first goal we were in the stadium as soon as the turnstiles opened, think we played 2 man hunt to pass the time.

Cup winners dundee v celtic lcf kicked off around 1pm as no floodlights were to be used.

Last edited:
One of the big gates at the "Celtic end" got forced open and hundreds surged through. I remember it was scary although as a 14 year old I was delighted to get in for nothing.
Seems another lifetime when football was like that
I was right in the middle of that when the gates gave way. Got carried in, feet off the ground. It was carnage inside, guys flat out on their backs looking not long for this world. I was 11, there with my 13 year-old cousin. Best of it was that we had tickets, but got caught up in the crowd at the gate.

Not only was there no live tv, I can recall when radio coverage began only for the 2nd half. It is the1969 SC Final vs them and 12 year old yours truly is eagerly awaiting to hear the dulcet tones of Davis Francie as I'm confident we are ahead, having only heard the Rangers crowd from our house in Toryglen. ''Wellcome to Hampden Park where the half time score is Celtic 3 Rangers 0. Whaaaat!!!!
The game v Aberdeen that was the league decider at Ibrox we won 2-0.Radio Scotland could only have live radio commentary from the last five minutes of the first half and the whole of the second half,it was bizarre because they were going over to Ibrox every couple of minutes for (ahem) a live update.

You beat me to it.

I'm assuming that's a snap from the previous season's final. Airdrie v the filth.

It would be interesting to know if that was always the theme for the Cup Final match day programme? A still from the previous season's match.

I doubt it.
It definitely wasn't a regular theme. The front cover of Scottish Cup Final/Semi-Final programmes often featured a drawing of the trophy, crowd scenes or players from the competing teams. The issue from the 1973 Centenary Cup Final was a perfect example.

It definitely wasn't a regular theme. The front cover of Scottish Cup Final/Semi-Final programmes often featured a drawing of the trophy, crowd scenes or players from the competing teams. The issue from the 1973 Centenary Cup Final was a perfect example.

Which makes that 76 final programme all the more puzzling?

I've never been a programme person, it's all a bit too sanitised for my liking. (I'm talking about our club programmes in particular)

But when a snap of the front page of the programme came up earlier in the thread, I'm thinking wtaf? What relevance has that got to do with a Rangers v Hearts, SC final?

Which makes that 76 final programme all the more puzzling?

I've never been a programme person, it's all a bit too sanitised for my liking. (I'm talking about our club programmes in particular)

But when a snap of the front page of the programme came up earlier in the thread, I'm thinking wtaf? What relevance has that got to do with a Rangers v Hearts, SC final?
Cover from 1974 Final

Hearts and Dumbarton players?

While it was a bit weird at least 1976 had the previous final

s-l960.jpg

I might be wrong here, but I'm sure you could pay at the gate into the celtic end. My old man took me and 3 of mates to it, I'm sure we didn't have tickets and this may explain the bedlam at that end. We were in a good bit before kick off, then it went barking mad with about 10 mins to the start. It was absolutely packed and the early goal didn't help.
Me and my mate my brother and our dads all paid into the Celtic end as the Rangers end and the stands were all ticket. Pissing wet . pomagne and a lot of disgruntled Hearts fans around us , special day for 15 year old me, first time l’d saw us lift the Scottish Cup.

Memory of 1976 final is me and my mates having tickets for section H of the Rangers end. We need to be in J says one of them.

We then proceeded to climb the fence separating the 2 sections. How we managed it in such a crush I'll never know. Sixteen years of age and fearless I suppose :confused:

Was at the game left for Australia on the Monday after the game . Watched it again on the Wednesday in Oz.

Back