5 substitution rule

Liviger1984

Should teams be asking for this with the tight schedule after the winter break? They are talking about it in England. It would definitely suit us as we have a strong squad, might be an issue for the smaller clubs and Celtic as they are dug meat.

It has its pros and cons. The major con is that it will just provide teams with more incentive to assault our players knowing they can afford to rack up five yellow cards and sub all the offending players so that five more can foul us again.

Keep the status quo as we are well on top at the moment.

Should teams be asking for this with the tight schedule after the winter break? They are talking about it in England. It would definitely suit us as we have a strong squad, might be an issue for the smaller clubs and Celtic as they are dug meat.
I still don't get why it's not something we can use, other Scottish leagues use it

It has its pros and cons. The major con is that it will just provide teams with more incentive to assault our players knowing they can afford to rack up five yellow cards and sub all the offending players so that five more can foul us again.

Good point!

They shouldn't be changing the rules midway through a season. As much as this would benefit us

I was sceptical last year when first introduced as I thought it gave teams license to breakup the game and commit fouls in a round robin fashion.

However I thought we used it well last year and was instrumental in being able to change up some games and wear down teams.

It would be far too sensible an idea to be reintroduced here. Who are they going to add onto their bench anyway? Even full strength it'd be 2 youths, they can't fill it as it is. Zero benefit to them equals no change in rules. Us. We could add any 2 from Defoe, Helander, Balogun, Jack or others to make the squad stronger and allow proper rotation if the games are won early enough. Never in a million years will this pass.

TBH I like it and think the lack of the 5 subs hampered us getting up to speed this year. It gave scope for tactical changes and still left maybe 2 subs for getting minutes into players. Also I think last year some players may have known that they could go out and give it all for 60 minutes and be subbed.

However, are the rules allowed to be changed in the middle of a season? Im sure I read that this would against sporting integrity.

Always thought the cons outweighed the pros in this country - let's the parked buses be refreshed late on

It should be, and it should've been in from the start of the season too.

I honestly think it'll depend on how much Celtic strengthen their squad in January.

If they feel they've got adequate strength in numbers to compete with ours then they'll push for it, and as we saw over the past 48 hours, whatever they push for they get.

It divides opinions, allowing teams to change half of there outfield players during a game is a big thing

It divides opinions, allowing teams to change half of there outfield players during a game is a big thing
I agree It is a big thing, but the amount of games teams are playing these days and in quick succession too, I think it's not only helpful but necessary - particularly the second half of this season in our league, when there's no doubt going to be a struggle at times to fit all the fixtures in.

Amount of games players are being asked to play nowadays and squad sizes of big clubs I think it's inevitable to come in full time. Personally I like it

I hated it at first, because we brought 3/4 players on at one time and the game just died a death. Though after that we seem to use it a lot better.

I like it. It encourages youth development a lot more is one of the main reasons I have for it.

Think that should be part of the rules if it was made permanent imo

At least one spot on your bench taken by a homegrown player or under 21, something like that anyway
I’d go one step further than that, make the rule that 2 of the five subs have to be under 21 years old.

like many I was dubious but really liked it in the end. I can see why smaller clubs voted against with them having smaller squads and the bigger teams basically being able to change half the team when it’s not working out mid game.

Would benefit us as well IMO. People like Patterson and Defoe would get more game time. Also look at our bench against utd, we still have Helander, Balogun, Barasic, Jack, Roofe, Davis all to fit in there. Add in any signings we make and it’s going to be impossible to pick a bench without leaving out big players. I’d be all for it.

At the same time I agree with others that rule changes shouldn’t happen mid season and it should start at the beginning of next season.

Back