8 of our starting 11 from England Championship last night

Championship players must love signing for us.

Even more money to just saunter around and finish second every year.

We are a kushty little number indeed. Bet you they can’t believe their luck.

For the last 7-8 years the majority of our recruitment has come from this league and I think this has become an issue.

A league where you can lose a lot of games and still be successful. Look at Norwich this season. P43 W21 D8 L14 and are still on course for the play offs.

I think a lot of these players dont appreciate how much of a disaster it is just drawing 1 game in Scotland can be. They don't have a winning mentality.

Also it's a market that you have to massively overpay in for a questionable level of quality.

It needs to stop.
I get it that the feeling is if a player can play at championship level they should be good enough for the SPFL but you are right we are overloaded with this type of player.
We should stop looking down our nose at players in this league.Miovski and Shankland up front or Lammers and Dessers for example its a no brainer.We let Lewis Ferguson slip through our hands too.

I think we send Rodney Trotter in to do any and every contract negotiation, surprised Castore didn't pay us with magic beans.

The wages we are paying for bog standard Championship players with no resale value is mental

Someone needs to explain to me how guys like Ben Davies and Tom Lawrence are trousering nearly £30k a week each and how it's justifiable to us overall.

Was in another thread that 7 of the top 10 earners in Scotland play for us.

Celtic have three guys on £25k a week or more. We have NINE. And very few of them have any resale value bar the goalie. It's insanity.
This is a festering issue that needs to be addressed before we worry about anything else, and it's not even that they don't have resale value, it's their wage expectations become so beyond their worth that we often can't even flog them for nothing.

I was about to post something similar re the English league to be honest. Nobody doubts the fact that they get the British game, but actually they don’t always get the Scottish game. It’s different. It’s a two horse race at best. Most times the other 10 teams play 11 behind the ball and counter attack you quickly. Breaking down teams isn’t always easy and often takes a good footballing brain, constant movement, quick feet or real physicality

I accept that when we were signing players from England, or English players from elsewhere, who were EPL and often international standard that was a good policy, e.g. Woods, Stevens, Butcher, Roberts, Wilkins, Spackman, Walters, Hateley, Falco, Francis, etc.

However, in recent times, we’ve been signing average guys on ridiculous money, on long contracts, and often renewing them for long periods when undeserved or they’re heading for the back end of their career. The only two exceptions of note have been the younger guys like Sterling and Bassey.

My view on the other recent British/English league background players signed::
Tavernier - Great for the money we spent, but there’s no denying that he’s a mediocre defender. He’s not that quick and has lost pace. He gets caught out of position too much and isn’t always quick at getting back. The superb goals tally blinds too many folk on here. An okay penalty conversion record at c80% if I remember rightly, can hit a good, sometimes great free kick, with good frequency, and chips in with some other goals. Not a great captain either as he’s not vocal enough. Disappears too often in the big matches as a defender (which is supposed to be his job), particularly against Celtic. I’m saying more about him because he’s almost as much of the problem as the solution. (And NO, he’s NOT the least of our problems, or the most, I accept)
Goldson - In the past has been a good organiser, but he’s not a top centre half. He’s okay in the tackle, but poor in the air (defensively and as a threat from corners) and caught out of position far too often. Also prone to massive brain farts. Wouldn’t even have him in my top 10 centre halves post Souness, yet if I’m not mistaken he’s our top earner?
Lundstram - Runs cold, then some hotter periods, then cold again. Too slow on the ball, slows our play right down, doesn’t pass quickly enough, doesn’t create much or score much. Defensively not bad. Worth £1m a year plus? Should we renew that? Nope.
Cantwell - Great on social media, and sometimes on the pitch. Generally does put in a shift though doesn’t create enough or score enough. Ultimately he’s not as good as he thinks he is.
Dowell - Good at jogging, gets injured a lot. Waste of wages.
Lawrence - Good at jogging, perhaps unlucky with the long injury early in his time with us, but too slow and main redeeming feature is occasionally he has a game where he shoots a lot.
Matondo - Generally nowhere near good enough. His performances are miss, miss, miss, miss, kind of hit (with a goal), then repeat pattern.
Kent - Gone but not forgotten. Couldn’t fault his work rate, but a hide and seek champion in the main. Shocking goals tally for a forward who had so much of the ball. Notable that the only time that was at an acceptable level was in front of no crowds, in line with his previous best work, in Liverpool’s academy team.
Flanagan - Rubbish, end of.

I could go on, but the general point is English league players no longer give us enough quality or good value. I don’t believe for a minute that we couldn’t get players from Scotland (imagine that!!) or say Scandinavia, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, etc for less who would be technically competent enough and actually have won trophies and have that winning mentality, more so than a lot of the journeymen we’ve been signing on high wages.

I would genuinely rather sign the best of Scottish players we are linked with but our fans constantly turn their noses up at.

They really aren't any worse than the dross from the championship and would cost a fraction of the wages, and at least they would get the win or nothing culture.

Hart, o Reilly, idah, just off the top of my head.

Getting the right players from down south in a formation that suits is absolutely fine. Getting the wrong ones or the team being set up incorrectly is the problem.

And yet there are some who want to sign McBurnie + McNair.

Any quality Championship player is beyond our budget. It’s League 1 (or 2) before they make that step to the Championship or above that we need to look at.

Our Championship signings are players on their way down.

English football arrogance from Wilson + Beale to believe Scotland is an easy place for such players.

Nobody should be being bought who is over 25 or has wage demands over 15k . We play in the spl ffs, nobody should be getting huge wages unless they become a big sellable asset and we need to get them to sign an extension. Fed up having a huge bloated squad full of absolute dross most of whom have no resale.

I would genuinely rather sign the best of Scottish players we are linked with but our fans constantly turn their noses up at.

They really aren't any worse than the dross from the championship and would cost a fraction of the wages, and at least they would get the win or nothing culture.
We also need them from a European squad perspective. There no doubt though that players like Hickey, Doig, McGinn (yes I know he wouldn’t have signed for us), and even the often slated and debated McKenna, Porteous and Ferguson would have had the right level of effort and commitment that’s too often been missing from our recent starting lineups.

I get it that the feeling is if a player can play at championship level they should be good enough for the SPFL but you are right we are overloaded with this type of player.
We should stop looking down our nose at players in this league.Miovski and Shankland up front or Lammers and Dessers for example its a no brainer.We let Lewis Ferguson slip through our hands too.
Latest development with Lewis Ferguson makes him a probable target.

I'm being facetious

Whilst celtic were/are winning trophies with players such as: Furuhashi, Hatate, Abada, Carter-Vickers, Maeda, Johnston, Taylor, Iwata, Kuhn, Yang, Scales, Ralston.

They have also had a number of injuries this season.

first part - totally agree
second part - not the long term ones we've had, largely a few games here and there - outwith Hatate, they've not had a Danilo, Cortes, Sima situation

If you're saying "signed from" - its 3 - Tavernier, Lawrence and Cantwell

if you're saying played in last - Tav becomes league 1, Sterling & Sima become Championship making 5 lower English leagues

For the last 7-8 years the majority of our recruitment has come from this league and I think this has become an issue.

A league where you can lose a lot of games and still be successful. Look at Norwich this season. P43 W21 D8 L14 and are still on course for the play offs.

I think a lot of these players dont appreciate how much of a disaster it is just drawing 1 game in Scotland can be. They don't have a winning mentality.

Also it's a market that you have to massively overpay in for a questionable level of quality.

It needs to stop.
Do you think it’s any different in Japanese, Korean or Chinese leagues?
Or Scandinavian, German or Dutch?
Or anywhere else.

We literally signed them from Premier League teams.
Splitting hairs a bit here. Point is, across our squad, they've spent the majority of their career playing in the Championship. In fact in Goldson's case he barely played that level either. A very low level of footballer

It needs to stop.
Butland - Man Utd
Sterling - Chelsea
Tav - Wigan
Goldson - Brighton
Souttar - Hearts

Lundstram - sheff Utd
Lawrence - derby
Cantwell - Norwich ( edit )

Sima - Brighton
Roofe - Anderlecht
Silva - wolves

Doesn’t that amount to Tav Cantwell and Lawrence

Last edited:
Probably about half of the Scotland Squad that qualified for the Euros are playing in the Championship.

Certainly less than in the SPFL.

Last edited:
The league itself isnt the issue. I bet i could go through the EPL right now and pick an outstanding team of ex-championship players. The problem is the players themselves. We are recruiting players who arent winners.

It needs to stop.
This 100%!
Guys like Laurence,Dowell,Davies etc should be nowhere near our club!

You
Eh? That's just not true.

Butland - PL

Tav - Fine but 9 years ago

Goldson - PL

Souttar - SPL

Sterling - PL

Lundstram - Just been relegated from PL, but fine

Cantwell - Yip

Lawrence - Yip

Silva - PL

Sima - PL

Dessers - Serie A

Things are bad enough without folk just making shite up
You saved me a job.

Butland - Man Utd
Sterling - Chelsea
Tav - Wigan
Goldson - Brighton
Souttar - Hearts

Lundstram - sheff Utd
Lawrence - derby
Cantwell - Norwich ( edit )

Sima - Brighton
Roofe - Anderlecht
Silva - wolves

Doesn’t that amount to Tav Cantwell and Lawrence
But land came from Crystal Palace, also a PL side.

Back