99 - Amazon Prime

giogaddi

Has anyone watched this yet?

It's the story of United's treble over 3 episodes with contributions from the main characters. Every time I watch something about that era at Man U you come away with a wee bit more respect for Fergie's genius.

I'm not sure you could build a squad like that in modern football with the blend of experience and kids, fans of the club, who would have died for the badge.

The most interesting part for me was Keane calling a team meeting after the Christmas party and making every single player commit to each other they wouldn't lose another game that season - they'd been pretty pish 1st half of the season - and they all went balls in and the rest is history.

Decent watch.

Watching it now, it’s really good.

You remember that like they had an unbelievable season. They got scudded by Arsenal 3-0 in the charity shield, 3-0 in the league, schmeichel was letting in howlers, Brian Kidd left etc

Watched it yesterday. I hadn’t realised blomqvist was a nervous wreck when playing in tye CL final, explains a lot

Watching it right now, on episode 2 and it’s a fucking brilliant watch.

So far what ive taken from it is what a ruthless bastard Sir Alex Ferguson was and what he would do in the pursuit of winning not just the league but his holy grail with the European Cup.

What a manager but what a team they were also.

Shows you how much they all respected and loved Roy Keane and what a player he was and a dirty bastard to boot which, back in the day, was great to see.

I hated that Man U team at the time but you can't help but respect them.
not sure if they'll show due to rights but the games V Barcelona and Juventus (especially the 2nd leg) in the Champions League were mental to watch

not exactly my favourite team in that time but I'll definitely watch the series at some point

That was an absolute hollywood season if i remember, not just their success but the amount of comebacks/ dramatic games home and abroad etc. Was like a roy of the rovers script. Sure the euro qfs and semis were classics, and obviously the final.
They were a great side.

A great watch.
Was no fan of united but happily admit sitting in the pub cheering them on in that CL final.

Loved all the inter team aggro they were telling you about. Sheringham v Cole v Keane. Schmeichel no time for Keane either, yet the class of 92 all loved him.
Yet on the pitch, they would do anything for one another.

A great side

So far what ive taken from it is what a ruthless bastard Sir Alex Ferguson was and what he would do in the pursuit of winning not just the league but his holy grail with the European Cup.

Shows you how much they all respected and loved Roy Keane and what a player he was and a dirty bastard to boot which, back in the day, was great to see.
I'd kill to have a Roy Keane type player in our squad right now.

Maybe a Rangers-supporting version of him, mind you.

I'd kill to have a Roy Keane type player in our squad right now.

Maybe a Rangers-supporting version of him, mind you.
I’d kill just for any of those players with that drive and attitude if I’m honest, but Roy Keane was a fucking animal of a player and I love that type of player.

I guess things were just different back then, look at the Rangers team back then too. Just full of men who had a drive and vision to win at all costs and to hell with who it hurts.

Fergie built some team, the second or third of his great teams he built really.

I've never got the love-in for Ferguson on here, tbh.

He was a nasty piece of work as a Manager at Old Trafford, bullying refs and officials before, during and after games. He learned it all at the feet of Jock Stein, unsuprisingly.

Give me Clough over Ferguson, any day of the week.

Watched this last night. What stood out for me was Ferguson picking players for his squad/team knowing they had the mentality to play and win for Man Utd. He saw how they reacted in defeats and difficult times and knew they’d go onto win things.

Gary Neville also said the team never stopped playing and that scoring late goals was drilled into them and it wasn’t luck, knew they were winners and were going to score.

A team with a great mentality with a captain who had the same hunger as his manager and drove the standards around the club and on the pitch.

I was watching it thinking that’s what we’ve been missing for years.

Main thing for me regarding the Final was that they won it without Keane and Scholes, as both were suspended. Having to play without one of them would be a blow, but for the two of them to be missing, extraordinary achievement.

The mental thing with the 99 treble that the won it by very slim margins.

League: 1 point on the final day
FA Cup: Giggs wonder goal in extra time in the semi
Champions League: 2 stoppage time goals.

If the slightest thing went the other way they could have been trophyless that year.

Still a great achievement mind before anyone starts.

He was a nasty piece of work as a Manager at Old Trafford, bullying refs and officials before, during and after games. He learned it all at the feet of Jock Stein, unsuprisingly.

That’s nonsense mate, AF was a nasty bastard long before he worked with Stein.

That’s nonsense mate, AF was a nasty bastard long before he worked with Stein.
He would only have learned from Stein from being in his Scotland coaching team with Walter.

In Ferguson’s Amazon documentary, he mentions learning a lot from Scott Symon.

You will say that about Ferguson , yet how many times do we see and hear rangers fans moaning that they want our amnager- whoever it is at the time- to get in the refs face, show a bit of fight etc?

It clearly can pay off.

You dont need to love Ferguson either to respect what he did during his career.
i suspect much of the hatred for him comes from what he said about the club in his book.

Fair enough if you can buy into shows like this but I just find the whole dramatisation and hindsight story exaggerating to be tedious and fake.

I’d kill just for any of those players with that drive and attitude if I’m honest, but Roy Keane was a fucking animal of a player and I love that type of player.

I guess things were just different back then, look at the Rangers team back then too. Just full of men who had a drive and vision to win at all costs and to hell with who it hurts.
I think we all would? but the major issue with that sort of player is the ref squad would see them as a target and deliver red cards incessantly

until that part of the Scottish game is called out by the club, we aren't getting any bruisers in to do the job and if you watch our games, you can tell our players are scared to tackle because they know what's coming even if they win the ball fairly

This has been excellent so far.
Yorke really seemed to make a massive difference on and off the park.

Incredible that his and Coles’ partnership was just a fluke.

Enjoyed this. An incredible achievement with the squad he built. He must of been devastated going into the UCL final with Scholes and Keane both missing!

Got this on my watchlist and looking forward to it.

If "Roy of the Rovers" was real life, it would be that Man United team.
Without taking anything away from Man City's Treble last season there was just something far more organic and romantic about Man Utd's achievement in 99. Probably only equalled by Barca's class of 2009.

I say that as someone who likes City as well and really detested that United side growing up.

None of these modern managers even come close to Alex Ferguson’s achievements IMO. The greatest.

Watched it yesterday. I hadn’t realised blomqvist was a nervous wreck when playing in tye CL final, explains a lot
The way he described how he felt in that CL final really made me think of players we have who have clearly felt exactly the same way at various points in their Rangers career.

The mental thing with the 99 treble that the won it by very slim margins.

League: 1 point on the final day
FA Cup: Giggs wonder goal in extra time in the semi
Champions League: 2 stoppage time goals.

If the slightest thing went the other way they could have been trophyless that year.

Still a great achievement mind before anyone starts.
And the cup semi final only went to extra time because Arsenal missed a last minute penalty. As Ferguson said, 'football, bloody hell'. Most causes which look lost are usually just that, but dragging victory from what looks like certain defeat happens often enough that hope and belief should never die. Just can't understand folk who throw in the towel after every setback.

And the cup semi final only went to extra time because Arsenal missed a last minute penalty. As Ferguson said, 'football, bloody hell'. Most causes which look lost are usually just that, but dragging victory from what looks like certain defeat happens often enough that hope and belief should never die. Just can't understand folk who throw in the towel after every setback.
They were also 1-0 down to Liverpool in the 5th round with 2 minutes left and turned that around.

Brilliant series, really enjoyed it.

I’ve personally never had an issue with Man Utd, mainly due to the fact in the 90’s as a teenager it felt like them and us dominated our respective leagues, the success of both clubs almost felt in tandem. They were the best down there, we were the best up here, both led by Scottish managers with Rangers roots.

Cole went into the him v Sheringham thing on the overlap a couple of weeks ago. Basically stemmed from sheringham ignoring a handshake when Cole was replacing him during an England game.

Got the impression that Cole was pretty ruthless and fell out with people regularly. He also said he didn’t really speak with Yorke much despite their connection on the park

One of those events when talent , attitude and leadership all collide and make the perfect storm.

The return of Keane with a point to prove post injury was huge - and then the signing of Yorke as well was genius.

Cole went into the him v Sheringham thing on the overlap a couple of weeks ago. Basically stemmed from sheringham ignoring a handshake when Cole was replacing him during an England game.

Got the impression that Cole was pretty ruthless and fell out with people regularly. He also said he didn’t really speak with Yorke much despite their connection on the park
Cole seems a pure weirdo.

Always remember him saying he now wanted to be known as Andrew Cole instead of Andy Cole.

Without taking anything away from Man City's Treble last season there was just something far more organic and romantic about Man Utd's achievement in 99. Probably only equalled by Barca's class of 2009.

I say that as someone who likes City as well and really detested that United side growing up.

I think it's that there was degrees of jeopardy back in the game back then, Utd won that league that season with 79 points I think. Meanwhile City amass 90 points regularly. They are just so clinical, that the title race and domestic cup wons just seems more a procession now, or at least an inevitability. They've taken the romance and joy out the game somewhat.

Last edited:
I think it's that there was degrees of jeopardy back in the game back then, Utd won that league that season with 78 points I think. Meanwhile City amass 90 points regularly. They are just so clinical, that the title race and domestic cup wons just seems more a procession now, or at least an inevitability. They've taken the romance and joy out the game somewhat.
Aye its almost seen as a failure if City don't do it which is mad to think really. It's also quite depressing really as well when you think about it.

Still can't understand people who say it's a procession every year for City in the league. Number of times we've won the league from a deficit with not long left in the season far outweighs the number of times it's been a procession.

Anyways I'm never watching this. Fk them. Us beating Gillingham in the league 1 play off final on pens far eclipses this nonsense :))

Still can't understand people who say it's a procession every year for City in the league. Number of times we've won the league from a deficit with not long left in the season far outweighs the number of times it's been a procession.

Anyways I'm never watching this. Fk them. Us beating Gillingham in the league 1 play off final on pens far eclipses this nonsense :))

That's why I threw in the phrase inevitability as well. Arsenal the last 18 games of the season won 16, drew 1 vs City and lost 1. And it still wasn't enough. And at no time during that run were Arsenal favourites.

There's very little twists and turns in the race. I heard a stat the other day that City have won something like 60+ games out of 70+ games from February or March onwards the last 5 or 6 years or so. It's mental.

Then there's the massive cloud of the 115 charges.

That's why I threw in the phrase inevitability as well. Arsenal the last 18 games of the season won 16, drew 1 vs City and lost 1. And it still wasn't enough. And at no time during that run were Arsenal favourites.

There's very little twists and turns in the race. I heard a stat the other day that City have won something like 60+ games out of 70+ games from February or March onwards the last 5 or 6 years or so. It's mental.

They were top until last Tuesday. We've needed those runs to get the job done because of how strong the challenges have been from arsenal recently, Liverpool before them and utd when we first won it. 4 of our titles have been done on the last game of the season.

115 has been done to death not going there again.

Still not watching 99. Worst year of my life that lol

It would be interesting to know how many weeks City have actually spent at the top of the table over the last two seasons.

It feels like they are just hanging about in second place with a game in hand until April and then motor past when it matters in an almost Bayern Munich-esque (this season aside) ruthless fashion.

It would be interesting to know how many weeks City have actually spent at the top of the table over the last two seasons.

It feels like they are just hanging about in second place with a game in hand until April and then motor past when it matters in an almost Bayern Munich-esque (this season aside) ruthless fashion.

Thats the other thing, because they are so dominant they tend to be involved in latter stages it most of the cups, so they can tend to have a game or 2 in hand which means they might not be top but it does give the other teams that glimmer of hope.

Then City go and win 12 on the bounce or whatever and piss on everyone's chips.

Back