A concerning stat (Alfie, Defoe & Kent)

Between the 3 of them in the SPFL they have scored 31 goals.

In Comparison

Edouard, Christie and Forest have scored 41 goals.

So what you may say, but what if I told you that these 3 celtic players have had 28 assists, and our top 3 spfl scorers 2.

All that tells me is that others in our team are providing more assists....Tav, Barasic, Davis etc

In Comparison

So what you may say, but what if I told you that these 3 celtic players have had 28 assists, and our top 3 spfl scorers 2.

Our assists from our front men are appalling .

Kent has 0.

Clearly a lot of work to be done on that score , we have only managed something like 8 goals in our last 9 matches .

In Comparison

In comparison how many goal and assists between their fullbacks?

I don't think we can really slate Morelos for anything considering his goal tally, Defoe is essentially a back-up so we're really talking about Kent here. His stats and overall performances are concerning considering the outlay and importance placed on him.

Morelos had 2 extra goals wrongly chopped off.

Of the 41 poet goals and other assists i wonder how many were legit, on side, real penalties, or had no fouls not given against Celtc in the run up to the goal.

We mostly (Arfield aside these last few weeks) use our midfield to retain possession in our defensive third with passes across the middle or back to the defenders. They maybe use theirs for attacking moves and going forward.

We mostly (Arfield aside these last few weeks) use our midfield to retain possession in our defensive third with passes across the middle or back to the defenders. They maybe use theirs for attacking moves and going forward.

yep we tippy tappy a lot of times which is great in Europe. However, SPFL is not great, just go for the jugular.

In Comparisond

Do the 3 celtic guys all play at the same time? For us it's either alfie or defoe and kent playing, so really comparing 2 to 3 players. Be interesting to see the minutes on the park.

In Comparison

I expect Alfie to score, so his assists should not be as high. Defoe also and his goal to minutes played is exception. I would expect more goals and assists from Kent. Our assist providers are Tav and Borna, they’ve massive numbers between them, so it could very well be form is down due to them being injured, but it’s not just that. I don’t think that stat is concerning, but certainly Kent needs to be providing more. Hagi will take the pressure off him and attention from opponents so hopefully he gets his confidence back.

Barisic and Tav have 16 assists between them in the league.

Hayes, Bolingoli, Taylor, Frimpong, Bauer & El Hamed have 11 between them.

Kent's confidence is totally shot, a blind man can see it right now. The only reason he's keeping his place is because Gerrard clearly believe's he's nobody on the books capable of making a bigger impact. He has no choice but to persevere with Kent and hope he plays his way back to form.

Do the 3 celtic guys all play at the same time? For us it's either alfie or defoe and kent playing, so really comparing 2 to 3 players. Be interesting to see the minutes on the park.

Minutes on park between those three: 5,407 / 41 = 132 minutes per goal [effectively 1 goal every 44 minutes of actual play with those players on the park]

Minutes on park between Morelos/Defoe/Kent = 3,674 / 31 = 119 minutes per goal [effectively 1 goal every 39 minutes of actual play with those players on the park]

Minutes on park between those three: 5,407 / 41 = 132 minutes per goal [effectively 1 goal every 44 minutes of actual play with those players on the park]

Minutes on park between Morelos/Defoe/Kent = 3,674 / 31 = 119 minutes per goal [effectively 1 goal every 39 minutes of actual play with those players on the park]

its assists from our forward line, the debate was about, What are they?

i.e we dont interlink play in that area. Which is vital in packed defences. Not so much Europe.

Was absolutely foolish not to sign a decent quality striker on loan the minute Defoe got injured.

We obviously had the money if we went for Vydra but waited till the very last minute to try and get someone in.

We can make all the excuses we want, but when you pay 7 million for a marque player and he's scored a handful of goals and provided 0 assists, there's a problem there. Not singling Kent out, there's a general lack of creativity in the final third. We don't move the ball fast enough and we're not direct enough to trouble defences.

We turn back inside and they just shuffle around like they will do in training all week leading up to the game.

We can make all the excuses we want, but when you pay 7 million for a marque player and he's scored a handful of goals and provided 0 assists, there's a problem there. Not singling Kent out, there's a general lack of creativity in the final third. We don't move the ball fast enough and we're not direct enough to trouble defences.

We turn back inside and they just shuffle around like they will do in training all week leading up to the game.

You are singling him out though mate lol.

If we want to go into numbers with Kent, he's already outperformed last seasons and we were all buzzing when he signed permanently.

Our problem is our system is quite one dimensional and our squad doesn't currently have the players to change anything meaningfully

So if you were a tactician, and you were playing Rangers, You only need to cut out the supply from the fullbakcs, midfield to a small degree, Dont worry about link up play from the forward line including the wingers. How mental and how easy to defend against.
That’s really not the case. The majority come from wide, but if that’s not working well we can go through the middle, however in most games players are pushed wide. All 3 of the goals we scored yesterday came through the middle, Hagi is going to be massive for us for that reason.

They won 5-0 last Wednesday without any of their 2 starting strikers scoring. That just wouldn’t happen with us.

We have a serious lack of goals from the rest of the pitch outwith our 2 strikers. It’s a big concern to be honest.

That’s really not the case. The majority come from wide, but if that’s not working well we can go through the middle, however in most games players are pushed wide. All 3 of the goals we scored yesterday came through the middle, Hagi is going to be massive for us for that reason.

i agree with hagi, someone that can see an assist by splitting the defence.

hate to keep talking about them, but yesterday, Aberdeen were stuffing out their link up play up front. Where they are so dangerous. I never thought Lennon was a tactician. But he put Ayer out right instead of Bitton. As he knew he had the legs and would bomb down the wing, it worked.

So my point is if others teams stop the supply from Barisic / Tav or they are injured etc. Where are the assists coming from, whats our plan B?

Surely we need the players up top to be linking play. Surely it cant be a dead end as soon as 1 of them get in. I am not talking about Alfie coming deep or Kent turning back. Im talking about assists.

An unfair stat considering Defoe doesn't play when Morelos does. Automatically making it a 3 vs 2 comparison in favour of the mentally challengeds.

Defoe got injured on the Wednesday night and we had Vydra and Kamberi lined up by the Friday – I'm not sure you can react much faster than that.

Kamberi looks as if he will assist, link the forward line from what I saw yesterday.

An unfair stat considering Defoe doesn't play when Morelos does. Automatically making it a 3 vs 2 comparison in favour of the mentally challengeds.

m8 I was using the top 3 scorers. Any their assists. It does not make it unfair. If anything its unfair on celtic if you really think about it.

What this really shows is how poor the two next to Morelos are.
We don’t really have a proper option on the right hand side and Kent has been totally ineffective for most of the domestic season.
SG has to change this and go with a pairing of Kamberi, Morelos with Hagi. Stewart could be the option to replace any of them from the bench.
Kent, Ojo, Barker etc are offering nothing.
Concerned that Kamara and Aribo seem to be getting blamed for the midfield play when Jack and Davis have been just as poor.
Only Arfield has been making a contribution the last few months.

Also shows the difference in squad depth and how much losing Tav and Barisic for a while cost us. Throw in the form crash and we have the perfect storm.

What this really shows is how poor the two next to Morelos are.
We don’t really have a proper option on the right hand side and Kent has been totally ineffective for most of the domestic season.
SG has to change this and go with a pairing of Kamberi, Morelos with Hagi. Stewart could be the option to replace any of them from the bench.
Kent, Ojo, Barker etc are offering nothing.
Concerned that Kamara and Aribo seem to be getting blamed for the midfield play when Jack and Davis have been just as poor.
Only Arfield has been making a contribution the last few months.

If you were a statistical computer trying to win a game, you would never have kent in your team. And the likes of Stewart or Aribo instead. I know we are not computers and we see what other things happen in football. i.e doubling up on Kent etc.

Back