A female manager

Mustang mad

brentford have appointed a female as head coach of their u18 team at their new academy set up.
How do the good folk of FF feel about a woman being appointed manager at some point in the future?

Nothing against it myself. best person for the job at the time etc.

Best person for the job, but I don’t think we’ll see it for a good few years, if at all. I remember Emma Hayes turned down a job, might have been league 2.

See if a woman referee was the best available, I’d want her doing our games.
Same for pundits, coaches, managers etc

But not just getting a gig because she’s not a middle aged white male.
For instance I think Ene Aluko is a pish pundit but she’d make a good coach

It will happen at some point. Being a women shouldn't be a barrier.

It will happen as more women become part of coaching teams. Then the step up to manager or head coach becomes the logical conclusion for someone with the talent.

The assumption that she wasn’t the best candidate for the job and was employed as a box ticking exercise is unsurprising on here.

I don’t know any women who wouldn’t despise getting a job for any reason other than being fully qualified and capable for it.

Good luck to her.
It must be shit getting an exciting new job you’ve worked hard for and knowing that most people just assume you got it because of your sex.

She’s qualified to do the job, had her pro licence for 4/5 years now so she’s put the work in to earn her role.

That won’t stop the usual pish being spouted no doubt.
Takes far more than a license to make a manager though. Would be good if it worked though and really interesting to see how players take it.

One day it'll happen but I think we're still years away. I think it'll be someone who has been in the men's game for a fairly long time though so she's doing the correct thing in my opinion by making the move at a lower level and showing what she can do. I'll be very surprised if the current England Women's coach etc makes a move to any kind of serious men's team that isn't at Premier League 2 or lower and then working way up. I just don't see a top women's coach parachuting into a top men's club at the main gig happening in my lifetime.

It will happen at some point. Being a women shouldn't be a barrier.

It will happen as more women become part of coaching teams. Then the step up to manager or head coach becomes the logical conclusion for someone with the talent.

Biology dictates that it is though.

Whether we like it or not, football is a game full of egos. Changing rooms are like their own ecosystem that a woman just doesn't fit into. Dressing room banter, gone.

On top of that I just can't see footballers taking a woman seriously. They'll all know they're a far better player than she is...I know that can happen in the men's game too with guys like Mourinho never reaching the top level. But he's clearly still an alpha male authority figure.

All comes down to their character. As mentioned above, when managers haven't been amazing as players, they need to be a big character to get the players on side and to buy in to what they're doing. If they can command the dressing room and make it work on the pitch then that's all that matters.
One of our coaches when I played youth football was a woman who represented Scotland and she was excellent with her knowledge of the game.

What makes you think her communication skills would transfer to coaching ?

Not disputing this but she barely talks any sense when summarising

If they're the best person for the job why not? Don't see an issue.

Players shouldn't see an issue either if they're good, but I do agree it'll be hard for them to take to women knowing they've never played at the same level, so the first of poor ideas or tactics and she will have a fight on her hands to keep the dressing room. But like I said if she's the best person for the Job then in theory that shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure I agree. She thinks 19 goals in 40 games is basically a goal a game. She a complete moron and I can't see how that wouldn't also translate to coaching.

It'd be interesting to see how the media would treat a woman manager if they ever made it to Premier League level.

Would they treat them the same as men, ie. give them pelters? Or would it be the kid gloves approach?

A woman in an all male dressing room just throws the whole dynamic off. I can't see how it'd work in reality tbh.

I'm not sure the 'dressing room dynamic' at the top level is quite what people on here are imagining any more. The era of hairy arsed blokes sharing a bath and calling each other a stupid lady's front bottom for 'banter' is fading away.
These days, a lot of the players are more likely to be doing their hair and picking a new handbag than a female coach so the personality clash will be far less of an issue.

I'm not saying it would be easy for a woman to enter that environment, but it wouldn't be like turning up at Wimbledon circa 1988.

Don't think a top level team will have a womans manager anytime soon.

Strangely I think it should be harder for a man to manage women than the other way about, due to a lack of understanding about things like menstrual cycles, but it seems like it's mostly guys in charge at top level of woman's game.

Its funny when posters that believe they are right up to date on the modern game know it inside out all the tactical stuff the impact Pep, Klopp or whoever the latest EPL hero it is has had on our game.... fire into their time machine back to the 70s at the first mention of a burd picking the team or taking a training session.

A wuman are you actually serious. Its absolutely brilliant.

Ive worked under a female head coach, and although she was a decent coach, the lads didnt take to her, still a way to go before they'd be fully accepted as head coach of a mens team

I'm sure the same attitude was there in factories, building sites, offices etc. at some point too. It will change.
Yes and now industry is awash with women in senior jobs that have been promoted because of their sex.

Not all of them but a large portion, from my experience anyway!

I have no problem with the right person getting the right job at any time though.

It will change and it will happen, but it will never change my view that a woman can never know what it is like to experience the heat of battle of professional men’s sports.
That does not mean they will never be effective managers.

Good luck to Lydia I hope she’s a success, she’s done all the hard grafting to get her Pro Licences. This could lead to other clubs appointing female coaching staff, it’ll eventually happen. There’s too many old fashioned attitudes in the game and it has to change for the better.

Best person for the job, but I don’t think we’ll see it for a good few years, if at all. I remember Emma Hayes turned down a job, might have been league 2.
English press favourite but surely the current English woman’s national team manager would be in with a shout if a club took the chance.

It will change and it will happen, but it will never change my view that a woman can never know what it is like to experience the heat of battle of professional men’s sports.
That does not mean they will never be effective managers.
Well obviously not, as they will never be allowed to compete alongside men in football and many other sports.

I just dont see how a woman could not be a good coach in the mens game. It may help, but you do not have to have played at the highest level to be a good coach / manager.
it will happen sooner or later.

A point does remain about the culture of the dressing room.
Young players are different these days and have a different mentality to their predecessors.
However, I still think it’s going to take sone time before the masculinity of the locker room changes to a point that a woman will be easily accepted.

Some will choose to believe otherwise but I just don’t think for a minute that a woman coach would get the respect in a men’s dressing room especially at a good level.

The reality is that mens football is far superior to women’s football in terms of quality therefore coaching badges or not, I just don’t think the same level of respect would be there for a woman.

Well obviously not, as they will never be allowed to compete alongside men in football and many other sports.

I just dont see how a woman could not be a good coach in the mens game. It may help, but you do not have to have played at the highest level to be a good coach / manager.
it will happen sooner or later.
I do make the point that even though they don’t know what it is like in the heat of the professional battle, that does not mean they will not make affective coaches/managers.

I think it is more likely that the first high profile female manager will be at international level. I think that would be an easier segway. I think club football is probably a little way off yet.

Would be really difficult for the first high profile female manager, managing a man's team of course.

The list is endless of crap male managers/coaches, so if an excellent (female) candidate became available, why not give her a chance?

Its funny when posters that believe they are right up to date on the modern game know it inside out all the tactical stuff the impact Pep, Klopp or whoever the latest EPL hero it is has had on our game.... fire into their time machine back to the 70s at the first mention of a burd picking the team or taking a training session.

A wuman are you actually serious. Its absolutely brilliant.

Who said a woman couldn't pick a team or take a training session?

Haven't seen that mentioned once.

Controlling a dressing room and managing a bunch of footballers, different story.

Would be really difficult for the first high profile female manager, managing a man's team of course.

The list is endless of crap male managers/coaches, so if an excellent (female) candidate became available, why not give her a chance?
Exactly this. It continues to amaze how some male managers in Scotland and England seem to go from club to club basically highlighting their absolute lack of talent everywhere they go. It seems fairly obvious that there will be women out there with excellent, practical ideas about tactics, fitness, nutrition, sports psychology that would get a tune out of 11 blokes kicking a ball about.

If Mark McGhee can get jobs…

Obviously using the same hiring policy as my own company...

applicant with the biggest tits gets the job :))

Brentford is a fantastically well run club, I'm sure she's the best person for the job. Is there any reason a woman cannot reach the very top in management, in any business or sport?
I cannot see a legitimate one, only the existing prejudices.

Who said a woman couldn't pick a team or take a training session?

Haven't seen that mentioned once.

Controlling a dressing room and managing a bunch of footballers, different story.
Depends what dressing room it is i suppose im not sure how you would know what every single one is like or how easy/tough it is to get each club or group of players onside.

Must be plenty of male managers that have had the same problem, i am not saying its a fact but someone like Warburton was often talked about as not being the strongest. Guys like Moyes and Potter were always going to have a similar issue at big EPL clubs.

She can surround herself with other coaches, she could have a male as assistant if its so important, i bet you if Pep or a similar top coach says hes got a wee sis or burd that is coaching now you would be back to say hold on a minute wait a second this might be the gamechanger.

She talks shite as a pundit, that makes me think she’d talk the same shite as a coach.

She‘s fucking diabolical.

Back