A good game to gauge where we are

Let's be honest even if there was 2,000 fans in to watch that - players are simply not going to get up for these sort of games unless we have something approaching a full house.

It probably should have been a glamour friendly but I suspect it was very low because of the lack of crowd.

Let's be honest even if there was 2,000 fans in to watch that - players are simply not going to get up for these sort of games unless we have something approaching a full house.

It probably should have been a glamour friendly but I suspect it was very low because of the lack of crowd.
It was the same for both teams and they coped better than we did.
What yesterday showed was how far we still have to go in terms of athleticism and technique. We'll face a similar standard should we qualify for CL group stages.
On the plus side it'll have brought our fitness levels on a fair bit and we won't face anything remotely approaching that standard domestically.

None of Itten, Defoe or Roofe are a patch on Alfie, for a variety of reasons and whilst I wish Sakala the best, I dont think he'll be close to a like for like replacement either for Alfie.

Alfie is the complete forward, can finish with either foot and head, he's a poacher, yet scores from all round the box, holds up the ball supremely well, he can beat men, he's fast and strong as an ox.

Defences are terrified of him

We'll miss him badly.

Without Helander, Kent Morelos Barisic and Aribo, I thought we done OK, Arsenal clearly had much more quality. Impressed with Bassey and Lundstram.

I would never read too much into pre season but I would point out we were rightly very pleased and optimistic about what we saw last pre season, the good performances and results continued into the league and Euro qualifiers and then there was no stopping us.

We're a fair bit off what we saw this time last year. I don't think anyone could argue with that.
We didn't have players going off to play intl. tournaments last year.

We have sakala, itten and roofe

Exactly! We have not seen sakala yet, he says himself his best position is no 9 (striker). Let's wait and see him in action first. Itten has started pre season well and will be a good squad option and this is roofes first pre season in years.

Last season’s league stats were a one off, it’s not happening any time soon. So many records set and broken.

This season will be a lot closer. Big prize at the end of it.
Last season will become the norm imo we may lose a game but teams won’t be able to compete with us again

the scum look like a mid table side we will wipe the floor with them they look worse than last year

Got back to the car yesterday, was showing as 29.5 degrees, we actually had to move seats to the shade at the back of the SJ front as it was far too warm.

it was a training exercise in the sun, no more no less.

winning preseason friendlies means nothing.

We had 5 of our best players missing and they had out a really strong side yin the first half and it showed.

We miss Alfie up front but also miss the creativity of Aribo and Kent. None of our squad players can really step and match these

None of Itten, Defoe or Roofe are a patch on Alfie, for a variety of reasons and whilst I wish Sakala the best, I dont think he'll be close to a like for like replacement either for Alfie.

Alfie is the complete forward, can finish with either foot and head, he's a poacher, yet scores from all round the box, holds up the ball supremely well, he can beat men, he's fast and strong as an ox.

Defences are terrified of him

We'll miss him badly.
If he goes...if.

Last season will become the norm imo we may lose a game but teams won’t be able to compete with us again

the scum look like a mid table side we will wipe the floor with them they look worse than last year
We're strong favourites but they'll comfortably finish ahead of the rest. The other teams simply do not have the consistency to compete over a season.
At this particular moment they're poor but we have six weeks of the transfer to go and things could change in the interim.

I have never in my 61 years supporting Rangers have taken a gauge on pre season friendlies, I have saw us getting pumped by lower English and Scottish teams pre season and go on to win the league, I have also saw us pump likes of Chelsea and teams from Europe pre season and then go onto a disastrous season .
I never look to much into these type of games.

In an ideal world I want both to stay. Kamara for me is integral to the midfield and the team as a whole.

I don't think we have a midfielder who can fill in the Kamara role, seamlessly.

I do think we'll see more of the lad from Sheffield and less of Jack this season. Could be wrong though.
Champions league qualification is more important than just monetary terms as being at the top table can ensure we can keep our main assets until it suits us to sell
Kamara is a fantastic team player and Lundstrum looks like he will take no prisoners up here

We also miss Ryan Jack, the amount of work he does covering our right side is under rated IMO. Most of Arsenals attacks came from areas where Jack would have been. If we can get him fit we will be in a much better position defensively especially for European games.

I didn't get much out of it personally. I thought the game was a bit of a mess and was only really good for getting more minutes in the players legs.

Back