A quiz to pass the time

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Looking forward to @BlueLagoonCo starting his quiz soon. Meantime, I had been bored last night and pulled together 20 questions if anyone fancies exercising the True Blue brain. Certainly not going to be a regular thing from me, that quiz book plus the daily @MrBearightside teaser will be plenty going forward.

Will post the answers later tonight. 5 themed groups of 4 questions each.

Disciplinary Problems

1. 9 man Rangers fought back to draw 1-1 at Parkhead in May 1985. Davie Cooper got sent off, which other player also got red carded?
2. Who got sent off in a 2-1 win over Brechin City at Ibrox in a Div 1 league match in 2014?
3. Terry Hurlock made 35 competitive appearances in season 1990-91. How many yellow cards did he receive?
4. Willie Woodburn was sent off 4 times in 481 appearances. His final sending off in a League Cup game in 1954 resulted in a sine die suspension by the SFA. Who were the opposition in that match?

Long Term Injuries

1. From which club did Rangers sign Daniel Prodan in 1998?
2. Andy Webster only ever started 1 League Cup game for Rangers. What was the opposition and final score?
3. Seb Rozenthal only ever scored twice in one game. Against who?
4. Name the player signed in 1991 who only made 6 appearances in a 5 year Rangers career, and who then rejoined the club we signed him from.

Hat Tricks

1. Kris Boyd scored his first Ibrox hat trick on his debut against Peterhead in January 2006. At which ground did he score his first away hat trick?
2. Who scored the first Rangers league hat trick against Celtic of the 20th century?
3. Which player in 2012 became the first in our history to score a hat trick in a lower league?
4. Robert Fleck scored hat tricks in successive games in season 1986-87. Who were the 2 opponents?

Cup Finals

1. Before Nacho Novo in 2009, who was the last substitute to score for Rangers in a Scottish Cup final?
2. Rangers beat Kilmarnock in the 1960 Scottish Cup final. Who missed a penalty in the game?
3. Rangers played Aberdeen in 3 successive League Cup finals in 1987-89. How many Rangers players started in all 3 games?
4. Which Rangers Hall of Fame member's father played in goal against Rangers in a Scottish Cup final in the 1930s?

First and Last

1. Who were the opponents in Jim Baxter's last game for Rangers in December 1969?
2. Who made his first and last competitive appearance for Rangers in the last league game of season 1994-95, a 1-1 draw against Partick Thistle?
3. Ally McCoist holds the club record for most goals in European competition. Against which team did he score his first Rangers Euro goal?
4. Which famous Ranger scored his last goal for the club in a 6-2 win at Rugby Park in April 1933?

A few guesses but here goes:

Disciplinary Problems

1. 9 man Rangers fought back to draw 1-1 at Parkhead in May 1985. Davie Cooper got sent off, which other player also got red carded? Ally Dawson
2. Who got sent off in a 2-1 win over Brechin City at Ibrox in a Div 1 league match in 2014? Bilel Moshni
3. Terry Hurlock made 35 competitive appearances in season 1990-91. How many yellow cards did he receive? 12
4. Willie Woodburn was sent off 4 times in 481 appearances. His final sending off in a League Cup game in 1954 resulted in a sine die suspension by the SFA. Who were the opposition in that match? Aberdeen

Long Term Injuries

1. From which club did Rangers sign Daniel Prodan in 1998? Steaua Bucharest
2. Andy Webster only ever started 1 League Cup game for Rangers. What was the opposition and final score? Gretna 4-0
3. Seb Rozenthal only ever scored twice in one game. Against who? Ayr United
4. Name the player signed in 1991 who only made 6 appearances in a 5 year Rangers career, and who then rejoined the club we signed him from. Brian Reid

Hat Tricks

1. Kris Boyd scored his first Ibrox hat trick on his debut against Peterhead in January 2006. At which ground did he score his first away hat trick? Tannadice
2. Who scored the first Rangers league hat trick against Celtic of the 20th century? Jim Forrest
3. Which player in 2012 became the first in our history to score a hat trick in a lower league? Andy Little
4. Robert Fleck scored hat tricks in successive games in season 1986-87. Who were the 2 opponents? Clydebank and Hearts

Cup Finals

1. Before Nacho Novo in 2009, who was the last substitute to score for Rangers in a Scottish Cup final? Ally McCoist
2. Rangers beat Kilmarnock in the 1960 Scottish Cup final. Who missed a penalty in the game? Eric Caldow
3. Rangers played Aberdeen in 3 successive League Cup finals in 1987-89. How many Rangers players started in all 3 games? 2
4. Which Rangers Hall of Fame member's father played in goal against Rangers in a Scottish Cup final in the 1930s? Jock Wallace

First and Last

1. Who were the opponents in Jim Baxter's last game for Rangers in December 1969? Hibs
2. Who made his first and last competitive appearance for Rangers in the last league game of season 1994-95, a 1-1 draw against Partick Thistle? Iain Caldwell
3. Ally McCoist holds the club record for most goals in European competition. Against which team did he score his first Rangers Euro goal? Valletta
4. Which famous Ranger scored his last goal for the club in a 6-2 win at Rugby Park in April 1933? Davie Meiklejohn

"2. Who made his first and last competitive appearance for Rangers in the last league game of season 1994-95, a 1-1 draw against Partick Thistle? Iain Caldwell"

It was Neil Caldwell.

Disciplinary:
4 - Stirling Albion were Big Ben's last opponents.

Cup Finals:
3 - 2 players? McCoist & Munro?

First & Last:

3 - Bohemians?

Last edited:
For the Fleck hattricks - I hope you were paying attention to yesterday's goal of the day. ;)

Looking forward to @BlueLagoonCo starting his quiz soon. Meantime, I had been bored last night and pulled together 20 questions if anyone fancies exercising the True Blue brain. Certainly not going to be a regular thing from me, that quiz book plus the daily @MrBearightside teaser will be plenty going forward.

Will post the answers later tonight. 5 themed groups of 4 questions each.

Disciplinary Problems

1. 9 man Rangers fought back to draw 1-1 at Parkhead in May 1985. Davie Cooper got sent off, which other player also got red carded?
2. Who got sent off in a 2-1 win over Brechin City at Ibrox in a Div 1 league match in 2014?
3. Terry Hurlock made 35 competitive appearances in season 1990-91. How many yellow cards did he receive?
4. Willie Woodburn was sent off 4 times in 481 appearances. His final sending off in a League Cup game in 1954 resulted in a sine die suspension by the SFA. Who were the opposition in that match?

Long Term Injuries

1. From which club did Rangers sign Daniel Prodan in 1998?
2. Andy Webster only ever started 1 League Cup game for Rangers. What was the opposition and final score?
3. Seb Rozenthal only ever scored twice in one game. Against who?
4. Name the player signed in 1991 who only made 6 appearances in a 5 year Rangers career, and who then rejoined the club we signed him from.

Hat Tricks

1. Kris Boyd scored his first Ibrox hat trick on his debut against Peterhead in January 2006. At which ground did he score his first away hat trick?
2. Who scored the first Rangers league hat trick against Celtic of the 20th century?
3. Which player in 2012 became the first in our history to score a hat trick in a lower league?
4. Robert Fleck scored hat tricks in successive games in season 1986-87. Who were the 2 opponents?

Cup Finals

1. Before Nacho Novo in 2009, who was the last substitute to score for Rangers in a Scottish Cup final?
2. Rangers beat Kilmarnock in the 1960 Scottish Cup final. Who missed a penalty in the game?
3. Rangers played Aberdeen in 3 successive League Cup finals in 1987-89. How many Rangers players started in all 3 games?
4. Which Rangers Hall of Fame member's father played in goal against Rangers in a Scottish Cup final in the 1930s?

First and Last

1. Who were the opponents in Jim Baxter's last game for Rangers in December 1969?
2. Who made his first and last competitive appearance for Rangers in the last league game of season 1994-95, a 1-1 draw against Partick Thistle?
3. Ally McCoist holds the club record for most goals in European competition. Against which team did he score his first Rangers Euro goal?
4. Which famous Ranger scored his last goal for the club in a 6-2 win at Rugby Park in April 1933?

Disciplinary

1 - Ally Dawson.
2 - You have got to be shitting me.
3 - Two
4 - Albion Rovers

Long term injuries

1 - Steua Bucharest. (sp)
2 - Don't remember and I was probably there. Hibs? (7-2)
3 - Don't know
4 - Looking at the answers that would be cheating.

Hat Tricks.

1 - Don't know.
2 - Jimmy Fleming.
3 - Don't know
4 - Clydebank and Ilves Tampere?

Cup Finals

1 - Derek Johnstone, SC final 1971
2 - Eric Caldow
3 - I'm going with Ally McCoist and Chris Woods Stuart Munro.
4 - Peter McCloy.

First and last

1 - Aberdeen?
2 - Possibly Valletta?
3 -

I only know this is Gretna and 4-0 because I listened to the relevant episode of “When Walter Returned” on Heart and Hand yesterday. Otherwise, I had totally forgotten!

Hope some folks enjoyed it. Answers below.

Disciplinary Problems

1. 9 man Rangers fought back to draw 1-1 at Parkhead in May 1985. Davie Cooper got sent off, which other player also got red carded? Ally Dawson
2. Who got sent off in a 2-1 win over Brechin City at Ibrox in a Div 1 league match in 2014? Bilel Moshni
3. Terry Hurlock made 35 competitive appearances in season 1990-91. How many yellow cards did he receive? 12
4. Willie Woodburn was sent off 4 times in 481 appearances. His final sending off in a League Cup game in 1954 resulted in a sine die suspension by the SFA. Who were the opposition in that match? Stirling Albion

Long Term Injuries

1. From which club did Rangers sign Daniel Prodan in 1998? Atletico Madrid
2. Andy Webster only ever started 1 League Cup game for Rangers. What was the opposition and final score? Dunfermline 7-2
3. Seb Rozenthal only ever scored twice in one game. Against who? Ayr United
4. Name the player signed in 1991 who only made 6 appearances in a 5 year Rangers career, and who then rejoined the club we signed him from. Brian Reid

Hat Tricks

1. Kris Boyd scored his first Ibrox hat trick on his debut against Peterhead in January 2006. At which ground did he score his first away hat trick? Tannadice
2. Who scored the first Rangers league hat trick against Celtic of the 20th century? Jimmy Duncanson
3. Which player in 2012 became the first in our history to score a hat trick in a lower league? Andy Little
4. Robert Fleck scored hat tricks in successive games in season 1986-87. Who were the 2 opponents?o
Ilves Tampere and Clydebank

Cup Finals

1. Before Nacho Novo in 2009, who was the last substitute to score for Rangers in a Scottish Cup final? Ally McCoist
2. Rangers beat Kilmarnock in the 1960 Scottish Cup final. Who missed a penalty in the game? Eric Caldow
3. Rangers played Aberdeen in 3 successive League Cup finals in 1987-89. How many Rangers players started in all 3 games? 2 (Gough and McCoist)
4. Which Rangers Hall of Fame member's father played in goal against Rangers in a Scottish Cup final in the 1930s? Peter McCloy

First and Last

1. Who were the opponents in Jim Baxter's last game for Rangers in December 1969? Aberdeen
2. Who made his first and last competitive appearance for Rangers in the last league game of season 1994-95, a 1-1 draw against Partick Thistle? Neil Caldwell
3. Ally McCoist holds the club record for most goals in European competition. Against which team did he score his first Rangers Euro goal? Bohemians
4. Which famous Ranger scored his last goal for the club in a 6-2 win at Rugby Park in April 1933? Sam English

I only know this is Gretna and 4-0 because I listened to the relevant episode of “When Walter Returned” on Heart and Hand yesterday. Otherwise, I had totally forgotten!

That was a league game ;)

I was at that Thistle game in 95. I thought it was 0-0 and there were two players played that day who never started again. Paul McKnight and Neil Caldwell.

I was at that Thistle game in 95. I thought it was 0-0 and there were two players played that day who never started again. Paul McKnight and Neil Caldwell.

Definitely 1-1.

McKnight came on as a sub that day for his debut but made 1 other substitute appearance the following season.

Definitely 1-1.

McKnight came on as a sub that day for his debut but made 1 other substitute appearance the following season.

Well there we go, I thought McKnight was never heard of again. I was only 11 when the game was played so my poor memory hopefully has some mitigation.

Back