A Sports Psychologist?

Your ignorance knows no bounds. The study of psychology lets us understand how people think and behave in certain situations. In other words, the most effective way to 'gee' someone up. Sports Psychologists play a similar role to sports scientists in modern high-performance teams.
A rollicking from your team mates serves the same purpose. The problem is we don’t have anyone capable of doing it. The last thing this team needs is some psychologist babying them, telling them not to internalize the fact they had a piss poor game

Again I’m sure the likes of C. Ronaldo, Messi, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady would have loved to have heard this from you before they paid thousand and thousands for their sessions saving to help them become the elite in their fields. I could imagine them just needing someone just to do a bit of digging in there for them to achieve.

Sports have never been at point where games, race or events can literally hinge on the smallest of detail, never has the abuse and criticism be so sharp
for the smallest of errors.

Ryan Jack has shown the benefit of having one. He’s gone from being sent off and not scoring or bossing a game too now scoring, bossing games and pick up less yellows and reds.

Liverpool is another great example, they gone from dossers to Champions league winners and runaway winners of the EPL.
Ryan Jack would benefit from having a more vocal captain beside him.

...and that’s not meant to be a shot at Tavernier. I rate him as a player, but he’s never captain material.

A rollicking from your team mates serves the same purpose. The problem is we don’t have anyone capable of doing it. The last thing this team needs is some psychologist babying them, telling them not to internalize the fact they had a piss poor game

That’s not what they do at all, they work on focus, attention, memory gain, injury recovery. Nothing in their work is to make players escape responsibility. It’s actually the polar opposite they strive on getting players to accept their faults and target ways to overcome them.

How many of the top elite teams have a mouth piece as a captain these days?

Souness, Roy Keane and Gough are probably the most obvious choices for the type of player your aiming towards, Yet former team mates will tell you that it wasn’t the shouting that improved them it was simple things like when they’ve made a mistake the next time they have the ball they guys would close by to give them the easy pass to regain confidence.

Not for me. I think we just need someone on the park to gee them up a bit. All this pussying about with psychologists is just modern rubbish imo. The more theyre talked up, the more people think they need them, next thing you know theyre indispensable. A bit of old fashioned dig along with someone who will lead the fight is what we need.
This could be the most utter pish I’ve ever read on FF

If you think you know better than modern folk involved in football management across the world then fair enough. Every football team hires sports psychologists, we study behaviour and why the brain encourages certain behaviour. It’s not 1973, I would be willing to bet every team hires one. It’s not babying, what a naive approach. Like I said earlier Carlton Cole said his psychologist got him into the England team. Dan Abraham’s has worked extensively with England national team in football and other sports for example but aye fk what superior football associations do we will play 4-4- fkn 2 and knock the ball to big guy. Utter Jim Jeffries pish.

Last edited:
Ryan Jack would benefit from having a more vocal captain beside him.

...and that’s not meant to be a shot at Tavernier. I rate him as a player, but he’s never captain material.
That’s not what they do at all, they work on focus, attention, memory gain, injury recovery. Nothing in their work is to make players escape responsibility. It’s actually the polar opposite they strive on getting players to accept their faults and target ways to overcome them.

How many of the top elite teams have a mouth piece as a captain these days?

Souness, Roy Keane and Gough are probably the most obvious choices for the type of player your aiming towards, Yet former team mates will tell you that it wasn’t the shouting that improved them it was simple things like when they’ve made a mistake the next time they have the ball they guys would close by to give them the easy pass to regain confidence.
Gough went on HandH saying he didnt shout a lot and tav was similar to him by leading as an example. Our captain never hides, but some folk can’t see past that.

To each his own
To 99% their own. Without being rude I think the millionaire management at every football club possibly know better than you mate. Like I said Dan Abraham’s isn’t employed by England cause he’s sound ?. He’s employed for his psychological role.

Last edited:
If you think you know better than modern folk involved in football management across the world then fair enough. Every football team hires sports psychologists, we study behaviour and why the brain encourages certain behaviour. It’s not 1973, I would be willing to bet every team hires one. It’s not babying, what a naive approach. Like I said earlier Carlton Cole said his psychologist got him into the England team. Dan Abraham’s has worked extensively with England national team in football and other sports for example but aye fk what superior football associations do we will play 4-4- fkn 2 and knock the ball to big guy. Utter Jim Jeffries pish.
I wouldnt pretend to know more, I'm only offering an opinion. I dont agree with a whole lot of things about modern football, from seated stadiums to obscene transfer fees. Most things in the game now are about money. Football psychologists didnt exist for the first three decades I watched football and those were the three most enjoyable decades I've experienced. Football was a simple game then, its since become overly complicated. The more complicated you make something the more problems you create. Sports psychology is one of many disciplines that have been invented in the past 25 years and when you have degrees in a certain subject you need to find jobs for the graduates. So it doesnt surprise me that in todays world sports psychologists are being championed. The question is are they absolutely essential. I dont think the are. Call me a dinosaur all you like but i'd rather watch Jock Wallace's side over any of the pampered nancy boys that have masqueraded in a Rangers shirt over the past ten years.

I wouldnt pretend to know more, I'm only offering an opinion. I dont agree with a whole lot of things about modern football, from seated stadiums to obscene transfer fees. Most things in the game now are about money. Football psychologists didnt exist for the first three decades I watched football and those were the three most enjoyable decades I've experienced. Football was a simple game then, its since become overly complicated. The more complicated you make something the more problems you create. Sports psychology is one of many disciplines that have been invented in the past 25 years and when you have degrees in a certain subject you need to find jobs for the graduates. So it doesnt surprise me that in todays world sports psychologists are being championed. The question is are they absolutely essential. I dont think the are. Call me a dinosaur all you like but i'd rather watch Jock Wallace's side over any of the pampered nancy boys that have masqueraded in a Rangers shirt over the past ten years.
Footballers didn’t have as much pressure on them previously. Believe me I wish football was back to the old days totally. However you cannot neglect the psychological aspect of any era, hence Baxter and Gazza life styles. Our field is hugely employed for a reason, it’s not as basic as boot a ball and a boy will header it. Pressure on players these days is more than ever, most people have moved on and maybe you should to mate. I am a person on here who moans for olden day football all the time but to disregard what super clubs are doing because “we’re men” is just daft. Your honestly not trying to imply football clubs have joined with psychologists to create extra jobs?. Like I said, footballers today have more to deal with hence the extra support. If you want us to get left behind then that’s fine. Listen to someone like Abraham’s talk and you might understand. Like I said , there is a reason EVERY club in the world supports this.

Last edited:
Footballers didn’t have as much pressure on them previously. Believe me I wish football was back to the old days totally. However you cannot neglect the psychological aspect of any era, hence Baxter and Gazza life styles. Our field is hugely employed for a reason, it’s not as basic as boot a ball and a boy will header it. Pressure on players these days is more than ever, most people have moved on and maybe you should to mate. I am a person on here who moans for olden day football all the time but to disregard what super clubs are doing because “we’re men” is just daft. Your honestly not trying to imply football clubs have joined with psychologists to create extra jobs?. Like I said, footballers today have more to deal with hence the extra support. If you want us to get left behind then that’s fine. Listen to someone like Abraham’s talk and you might understand. Like I said , there is a reason EVERY club in the world supports this.
I respect what youre saying I just don't think it needs to be like that. Sadly we've allowed money and greed to consume football. I yearn for a simpler time, that's true, but i'd rather kick all the charlatans out of the game rather than add more. It's really a simple game and all you need is to know is that your team mates have your back. You shout at each other, cover for each other, and hug each other when its done. Yes Gazza and Slim Jim went off the rails, that could have been the money and fame or something underlying in their personalities. Their lives could easily have played out the same had they not been footballers. Of course the club should support players through times of stress, but i'd rather that was kept external to the club. I have no doubt you'll get your wish and voices like mine will gradually die out. However I can only call things as I see them mate.

No, it really doesn't. Psychology teaches us to understand how people function, what makes them tick. The study of psychology looks at organisational structure; team-leaders set the standards - look at Michael Jordan - he set the standard for the Chicago Bulls - made them the most successful basketball team in the 90s... Incidentally, the Bulls also made use of a psychologist.

From my professional experience, psychologists do not baby people. Psychologists are there to empower.

I respect what youre saying I just don't think it needs to be like that. Sadly we've allowed money and greed to consume football. I yearn for a simpler time, that's true, but i'd rather kick all the charlatans out of the game rather than add more. It's really a simple game and all you need is to know is that your team mates have your back. You shout at each other, cover for each other, and hug each other when its done. Yes Gazza and Slim Jim went off the rails, that could have been the money and fame or something underlying in their personalities. Their lives could easily have played out the same had they not been footballers. Of course the club should support players through times of stress, but i'd rather that was kept external to the club. I have no doubt you'll get your wish and voices like mine will gradually die out. However I can only call things as I see them mate.
Like I said I’m old school mate, I don’t see why we should actively disadvantage ourselves though. This isn’t a a modern fad or trend, it’s scientifically proven to be beneficial. If it works for said super clubs and takes our players to another level we should continue to explore that avenue. I don’t wish the game was like this it’s just the nature of the beast these days mate, the club benefits from employing psychologists like I said earlier strikers who have been going through goalless spells have used them and it’s improved said players game. They are not just used for Freudian analysis style, emphasis is in them is to enhance ones game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back