A summary of where it went wrong

Snakehips

The tactics: if the last few years has taught us anything, it is that we should not overly play out from the back at goal kicks against them in the first half to 60 minutes at Parkhead. The ball gets turned over near our box on most occasions, and only invites pressure. When will we learn? Also, we should have been properly pressing that defence of theirs and putting balls into the channels and in behind. Play the game in their half, not your own. So today was partly on the manager. If he had watched any previous OF games there then he would have spotted the issues we always have there straight away.

The officials: Allowing 2nd yellow cards for them to go unpunished on 2 occasions? players being allowed several fouls before being booked? diving and play acting being let go with no yellows? and the fact that penalty was not even checked was disgraceful, as there was no offside awarded at the time. Blatant cheating, and not for the first time in this fixture, both this season and in previous seasons. Something has to give.

Cantwell and Dessers: Cantwell’s decision making and attempts at a wee fancy move instead of the correct pass is infuriating. He lost the ball so many times today by trying to be cute, and in good positions too. He is playing for himself and not the team when he does stuff like that, and the penny needs to drop with him sharpish. As for Dessers, he was slow and wasteful, and for a guy his size to be totally lacking in physicality is shocking. He barely won anything that came his way. Not good enough.

Despite the above, the game was there for the taking. We had some great chances and wasted them. At least we showed a bit of fight at the end, but it was too little, too late. The league is still there to be won, but we need reinforcements, plus a wee bit of mettle to go with it. Some players need to wise up too, Cantwell especially. Is he a team player, or is he a show pony?

Championship level player imo.
Infuriates me when he tries all this clever pish.
Somebody needs to sit him down & say look kid yer no Gazza or Cooper.
Should play the simple passes bit istead he tries wee flicks & stuff.

Completely agree with the playing out part. They must lick their lips when we do it, they line up with 3 or 4 from our goalkicks just waiting on players who aren’t good enough to play out, inviting all our own problems.

We are simply not clinical enough
They scored two great goals from their point of view and we passed off far too many chances
Our centre forward is rank rotten and doubt any other team in our league would start him as number 9

Quality and mentality.

Thats the start and the end of where it went wrong. This Rangers squad is full of players who aren't good enough technically and who don't come anywhere close to making up for that with a battling mentality.

A squad full of poor players with a losing mindset. Thats where it went wrong. It went wrong with successive managers not replacing the poor players. It went spectacularly wrong with Beale signing imposters.

Signs of a title race and crap your pants this the problem! Wait till Celtic win league and we will start putting teams to the sword and win the last old firm! Fool fans again and repeat it’s what we do!!

Signs of a title race and crap your pants this the problem! Wait till Celtic win league and we will start putting teams to the sword and win the last old firm! Fool fans again and repeat it’s what we do!!
Still in our own hands

First half we had 2 opportunities where I think it was Cantwell and Dessers had opportunites to shoot but chose not to. Then Dessers is through and decides to stop running, McCausland goes through and instead of squaring to a wide open Sima he gets closed down.

Fact is they have players in forward positions who make better decisions than ours and aren't afraid to shoot

We didn't have a match for McGregor in the middle. Sterling did a decent job keeping O'Riley fairly quiet but Lundstram and (especially) Cantwell were overrun.

We looked our most threatening when we were getting the ball behind their full-backs early. However Sima and McCausland flattered to deceive in the main. Not convinced McCausland is ready yet, a loan deal for the 2nd half of the season might be an idea.

The less said about Dessers the better. Inept against a patchwork centre-back pairing.

Playing the ball about at the back when you aren’t good enough to play through a high press is suicide yet we do it every game against them. Go long and take out their press.
Agree.

The reason we haven't gone long I'm the past is Carter's Vickers wins everything in the air and ground. To not take advantage of that in a game he's not playing is naive at best.

The whole playing it out from the back really irritates me as it clearly invites unnecessary pressure when we lose it.

The summer recruitment!

To be going there with Dessers leading the line, and Lammers not even getting off the bench highlights just how much money we wasted in key areas.

Kyogo has ended up being the difference today. We need to add similar quality to our front line and fast to better them.

Cannot blame anything on tactics today.

Players will be knackered as we haven't had rotation options for about 6 weeks. We simply can't play high intensity all game and had to manage it. We dug in and showed more fight than alot of the games against them recently.

Clement is on the right track and a full squad with new additions and we will win this league.

The mentality of the core of the team. Only Sterling has a mentality that’s required. The rest of them shit their pants against Celtic and it won’t change until the personnel changes.
I thought lundstram was good today alongside sterling to be fair

In the grand scheme of things, if you had given me the position we’re in now 6 weeks ago, I’d have taken it. January is massive in this race. Good start but we need a few more, mainly a forward who can score goals

Agree.

The reason we haven't gone long I'm the past is Carter's Vickers wins everything in the air and ground. To not take advantage of that in a game he's not playing is naive at best.

The whole playing it out from the back really irritates me as it clearly invites unnecessary pressure when we lose it.

There was an instance just before their first goal where we played out eventhough they had about 7 players high. Nearly lost a goal from it . 5 mins later we do the same. It’s modern football nonsense that just invites pressure.

In the grand scheme of things, if you had given me the position we’re in now 6 weeks ago, I’d have taken it. January is massive in this race. Good start but we need a few more, mainly a forward who can score goals
Going into this game today I thought we were good enough to at least secure a point.
How wrong was I.?

We have at least 5 players who just did not show up today. Lack of football intelligence in key moments especially off the ball and really lacking pace and same levels of intensity they played with when pressing us and when you add the poor officials in the mix and injuries.

Most of this can be changed some with new personnel and hopefully Phil has a great winter break with the team.

N
Nobody shit their pants ffs. Wrong decisions and poor finishing cost us along with some Shocking refereeing decisions.

Defensively howling at 2 goals, midfield absent, and forwards woeful. I'm sorry but we were poor against an extremely poor side.

Not bringing on Matondo but using Wright wasn’t very inspiring.

Probably tells us all what the manager thinks of Matondo. A brief cameo before his last injury aside, he is another one who has been utterly horrendous. His last 5 minutes against Betis away was criminal.

The tactics: if the last few years has taught us anything, it is that we should not overly play out from the back at goal kicks against them in the first half to 60 minutes at Parkhead. The ball gets turned over near our box on most occasions, and only invites pressure. When will we learn? Also, we should have been properly pressing that defence of theirs and putting balls into the channels and in behind. Play the game in their half, not your own. So today was partly on the manager. If he had watched any previous OF games there then he would have spotted the issues we always have there straight away.

The officials: Allowing 2nd yellow cards for them to go unpunished on 2 occasions? players being allowed several fouls before being booked? diving and play acting being let go with no yellows? and the fact that penalty was not even checked was disgraceful, as there was no offside awarded at the time. Blatant cheating, and not for the first time in this fixture, both this season and in previous seasons. Something has to give.

Cantwell and Dessers: Cantwell’s decision making and attempts at a wee fancy move instead of the correct pass is infuriating. He lost the ball so many times today by trying to be cute, and in good positions too. He is playing for himself and not the team when he does stuff like that, and the penny needs to drop with him sharpish. As for Dessers, he was slow and wasteful, and for a guy his size to be totally lacking in physicality is shocking. He barely won anything that came his way. Not good enough.

Despite the above, the game was there for the taking. We had some great chances and wasted them. At least we showed a bit of fight at the end, but it was too little, too late. The league is still there to be won, but we need reinforcements, plus a wee bit of mettle to go with it. Some players need to wise up too, Cantwell especially. Is he a team player, or is he a show pony?
Did we really though?
We scored the goal, then never really looked like getting a second.
We barely put them under any pressure after our goal.

Despite not agreeing with all of his team selections & subs (eg today he could have tried Matondo rather than the near certainty Wright would offer nothing), Clement has done well considering he was left with a pile of dross, followed by injury after injury piled on top.

It's as clear as day that we desperately need several new players in every area of the team, and we need them urgently. That squad today won't win us the league.

We are not back in it because of our "great run", winning games I would expect us to win, we're back in it because 2 other teams beat Celtic, not us.

Back