A trip to Anfield

Professor Yaffle

Official Ticketer
This was a game that couldn't be missed despite our poor showings in the CL so far and the potential for a trouncing, seeing Rangers play at Anfield was a must do, one to say I was there and perhaps we could pull off a shock result.

Up and showered at 6.30 meet mate at 7.30 and got picked up by another mate who took us to Linwood for the bus. Everyone in good spirits, no bampots there or back and some known friendly faces to share a beer and banter with on route.

After a couple of pit stops we arrive in rainy Liverpool. Tickets had to be collected at Goodison so some decided to go there first and get their match tickets. Wrong move! It was pissing down and the collection around 2pm was an utter shambles. A huge queue, nowhere to shelter, soaked, zero crowd control meaning loads of queue jumping and a lot of soaking and angry fans with queue moving at a snails pace. Best part of two hours standing about isn't really acceptable. Upon almost reaching the front and getting in the tiny collection office a steward decided he'd act important and tell us to wait until HE decided which window to go to. I'm capable of seeing which window next becomes free and suggested his time may be better spent controlling the shambolic queue outside. He soon shut up

Ticket finally in hand, taxi back to the city for a beer or three. Went to a bar near the Cavern which was surprisingly dead. Quick beer and moved on to the concert Square are and it was bouncing around there with many familiar faces. Few beers, wee gin and a wee walk to a craft beer bar on Dale Street which was quiet but really good and a taxi to the stadium followed.

Rangers had sent out instructions on how to access the ground. We got a cab to the general area and were early. Spoke to a cop and he basically told us we could go a number of ways so we wandered about outside the stadium checking it out, popped in to the huge club shop (impressed and makes ours looked laughably crap) checked out the memorial, got a bite to eat off a snack van then joined yet another disorganised rabble of a queue to get in.

Seems there had been some sort of incident prior to our arrival and the queue was just chaotic. We noticed it seemed ti be moving at the left side so managed to push over that way and got in without much of a search etc not that we had anything to hide.

We got in and sat right behind the goal about half way up our section, very close to the home fans. View was fine and atmosphere in our section building nicely. Our fans were in good voice and as kick off approached some pyro and blue flags waved looked good despite the fine thar will no doubt follow! Charlie McCann was sitting behind us. Nice lad he was too.

Champions league anthem almost drowned out by crowd and the game started . It didn't take long to see the pattern of play become established. We were defensive and Liverpool had loads of the ball. Then Alexander-Arnold scored his terrific free kick early and I thought we were in for a pumping. Thankfully it didn't materialise as a combination of good goalkeeping by McGregor and also Goldson, King and Davies defending pretty well, we managed to keep the score down. Liverpool obviously got their second early in the second half which killed it though we did create a couple of chances late on where Matondo almost scored and Colak had a couple of chances but it wasn't to be.

As mentioned, I thought McGregor was very good. Goldson the pick of the overworked back line. Didn't think our fukl backs did much but were up against genuine pace and skill. Lundstram had a poor match, Davis quite quiet but again up against right good opposition. Tillmans inclusion surprised me and the occasion and opposition appeared to big for him at this stage. Kent was pretty quiet though did have the beating of his man on the odd occasion and Alfie actually put in a decent shift with almost zero service or support. The subs: Sakala chucked on v Liverpool yet not trusted with proper playing time v SPL opponents was a strange one then Matondo playing on the left for Kent with Kamara, Colak and Jack all coming on and the fresh legs and removal of a centre back at least got us up the park and pushed our opponents back and we should have scored towards the end. Matondo having one cleared off the line and Colak firing straight at the keeper and delaying when shooting may have been better with another but Liverpool were worthy winners.

The Gers fans continued their sing song whilst being held back with some good natured stuff aimed at Emma Dodds for example.

Finally we were let out and found the coach relatively easily but waited over an hour for stragglers who hadnt been to the match to return from the city.

The long journey in the dark then began and I just wanted to be home and I'm my bed!

For the third CL match in a row we got outplayed, failed to score and sit bottom of the group though I was shocked by the other result Ajax 1 Napoli 6 and realise what a difficult group we are in and the jump from Europa league to Champions league appears to be rather large.

Our fans were excellent and company good throughout but the performance wasn't great. We move on to the weekend where nothing but a win will be acceptable and wonder what the team selection will be.

I hope the hangovers aren't too bad and anyone that had to go to work get on OK today! :D

Last edited:
This was a game that couldn't be missed despite our poor showings in the CL so far and the potential for a trouncing, seeing Rangers play at Anfield was a must do, one to say I was there and perhaps we could pull off a shock result.

Up and showered at 6.30 meet mate at 7.30 and got picked up by another mate who took us to Linwood for the bus. Everyone in good spirits, no bampots there or back and some known friendly faces to share a beer and banter with on route.

After a couple of pit stops we arrive in rainy Liverpool. Tickets had to be collected at Goodison so some decided to go there first and get their match tickets. Wrong move! It was pissing down and the collection around 2pm was an utter shambles. A huge queue, nowhere to shelter, soaked, zero crowd control meaning loads of queue jumping and a lot of soaking and angry fans with queue moving at a snails pace. Best part of two hours standing about isn't really acceptable. Upon almost reaching the front and getting in the tiny collection office a steward decided he'd act important and tell us to wait until HE decided which window to go to. I'm capable of seeing which window next becomes free and suggested his time may be better spent controlling the shambolic queue outside. He soon shut up

Ticket finally in hand, taxi back to the city for a beer or three. Went to a bar near the Cavern which was surprisingly dead. Quick beer and moved on to the concert Square are and it was bouncing around there with many familiar faces. Few beers, wee gin and a wee walk to a craft beer bar on Dale Street which was quiet but really good and a taxi to the stadium followed.

Rangers had sent out instructions on how to access the ground. We got a cab to the general area and were early. Spoke to a cop and he basically told us we could go a number of ways so we wandered about outside the stadium checking it out, popped in to the huge club shop (impressed and makes ours looked laughably crap) checked out the memorial, got a bite to eat off a snack van then joined yet another disorganised rabble of a queue to get in.

Seems there had been some sort of incident prior to our arrival and the queue was just chaotic. We noticed it seemed ti be moving at the left side so managed to push over that way and got in without much of a search etc not that we had anything to hide.

We got in and sat right behind the goal about half way up our section, very close to the home fans. View was fine and atmosphere in our section building nicely. Our fans were in good voice and as kick off approached some pyro and blue flags waved looked good despite the fine thar will no doubt follow! Charlie McCann was sitting behind us. Nice lad he was too.

Champions league anthem almost drowned out by crowd and the game started . It didn't take long to see the pattern of play become established. We were defensive and Liverpool had loads of the ball. Then Alexander-Arnold scored his terrific free kick early and I thought we were in for a pumping. Thankfully it didn't materialise as a combination of good goalkeeping by McGregor and also Goldson, King and Davies defending pretty well, we managed to keep the score down. Liverpool obviously got their second early in the second half which killed it though we did create a couple of chances late on where Matondo almost scored and Colak had a couple of chances but it wasn't to be.

As mentioned, I thought McGregor was very good. Goldson the pick of the overworked back line. Didn't think our full backs did much but were up against genuine pace and skill. Lundstram had a poor match, Davis quite quiet but again up against right good opposition. Tillmans inclusion surprised me and the occasion and opposition appeared to big for him at this stage. Kent was pretty quiet though did have the beating of his man on the odd occasion and Alfie actually put in a decent shift with almost zero service or support. The subs: Sakala chucked on v Liverpool yet not trusted with proper playing time v SPL opponents was a strange one then Matondo playing on the left for Kent with Kamara, Colak and Jack all coming on and the fresh legs and removal of a centre back at least got us up the park and pushed our opponents back and we should have scored towards the end. Matondo having one cleared off the line and Colak firing straight at the keeper and delaying when shooting may have been better with another but Liverpool were worthy winners.

The Gers fans continued their sing song whilst being held back with some good-natured stuff aimed at Emma Dodds for example.

Finally, we were let out and found the coach relatively easily but waited over an hour for stragglers who hadn't been to the match to return from the city.

The long journey in the dark then began and I just wanted to be home and I'm my bed!

For the third CL match in a row we got outplayed, failed to score and sit bottom of the group though I was shocked by the other result Ajax 1 Napoli 6 and realise what a difficult group we are in and the jump from Europa league to Champions league appears to be rather large.

Our fans were excellent and company good throughout but the performance wasn't great. We move on to the weekend where nothing but a win will be acceptable and wonder what the team selection will be.

I hope the hangovers aren't too bad and anyone that had to go to work get on OK today! :D

Reading this cold, it seems to me that you showed far more commitment, energy and devotion to the Rangers cause last night than either our manager or the outfield players.

You/we deserve better.

Reading this cold, it seems to me that you showed far more commitment, energy and devotion to the Rangers cause last night than either our manager or the outfield players.

You/we deserve better.
We will follow on...

I don't think anyone didn't try but not sure on tactics and team selection. Goldson for example was good. King for a young man wasn't bad. Alfie certainly showed effort with no support. Just not sure the players are in tune with the manager but we were up against a class team. CL runners up etc.

We will follow on...

I don't think anyone didn't try but not sure on tactics and team selection. Goldson for example was good. King for a young man wasn't bad. Alfie certainly showed effort with no support. Just not sure the players are in tune with the manager but we were up against a class team. CL runners up etc.
Again, in the cold light of day, if someone told us pre-ko, that it would be a 2-0 home win, none of us would have raised an eyebrow.

But when you view a team selection like that, combined with tactics like that, and no attempt at all at threatening them in the first 80 minutes, then I say again, we deserve better.

Again, in the cold light of day, if someone told us pre-ko, that it would be a 2-0 home win, none of us would have raised an eyebrow.

But when you view a team selection like that, combined with tactics like that, and no attempt at all at threatening them in the first 80 minutes, then I say again, we deserve better.
Probably but not just the playing side.

Mygers is unpopular with many. Castore are serial spammers with shoddy replica strips. Ticketing poor. Website poor. Communication from club poor. Catering in stadium poor. Toilets in stadium very poor. Club shop at Ibrox miles behind Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Man U etc and when it moves to Edmiston House it better be full of products and a decent size.

We love the club but in many areas better is required and in light of the glut of recent statements, they know. But what will they do about it?

Was lucky enough to be there last night. I live 15miles north of Liverpool and a good mate has a table in a main stand Hospitality lounge. I am ST holder, MyGers member etc but never got sniff of a ticket. Was sat among LFC fans who realised I was a Gers fan but got no hassle. Woman next to me was raving about how good McGregor was.
Agree Tillman was poor in both skill and effort. Lundstram and Davis average but three boys at the back were excellent. McGregor - MOTM in today's English Daily Express
They are a step up in class to us. Quick movement, more talented but we were not embarrassed. The place is dripping in money as it is with all the top EPL clubs due to the great TV deals and sponsorship they attract.
WATP

Exactly, no issues with the result. Big issues with the performance

As mentioned, I thought McGregor was very good. Goldson the pick of the overworked back line. Didn't think our fukl backs did much but were up against genuine pace and skill. Lundstram had a poor match, Davis quite quiet but again up against right good opposition. Tillmans inclusion surprised me and the occasion and opposition appeared to big for him at this stage. Kent was pretty quiet though did have the beating of his man on the odd occasion and Alfie actually put in a decent shift with almost zero service or support. The subs: Sakala chucked on v Liverpool yet not trusted with proper playing time v SPL opponents was a strange one then Matondo playing on the left for Kent with Kamara, Colak and Jack all coming on and the fresh legs and removal of a centre back at least got us up the park and pushed our opponents back and we should have scored towards the end. Matondo having one cleared off the line and Colak firing straight at the keeper and delaying when shooting may have been better with another but Liverpool were worthy winners.

The Gers fans continued their sing song whilst being held back with some good natured stuff aimed at Emma Dodds for example.

Finally we were let out and found the coach relatively easily but waited over an hour for stragglers who hadnt been to the match to return from the city.

Like this. I had a similar sort of experience

That's an excellent report of your day and your summary of the team, and who performed best on the day, is spot on. The score line flattered us and suggests a respectable outcome against a team that's miles ahead of us, on and off the field, due to the financial disparities that we all know about. In truth but for the keeper and the back three it could have been embarrassing.

We got nothing out of the midfield and the front players that started while Tillman [whatever position he was meant to be playing is still a mystery to me] looks like a player who doesn't really want to be at Ibrox and is using us to get game time in the hope he makes the US World Cup squad. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong and for him to come good but I just don't see it and, subject to his recovery from injury, I'd rather see Alex Lowry staking a claim for that right side of midfield.

Much as I want us to emerge from this Group in 3rd place, and so drop into the Europa League, I'm not sure we've got the two big performances in us that we'd need to do that and that galls me after the progress we'd made in European football in recent seasons.

On the positive side, well done to Leon King and Ben Davies who added stability at the back, marshalled by a superb display from Goldson. Matondo, Colak and Sakala all did well when they came on and, in the brief time he was on the pitch, I thought Glen Kamara was steady and assured.

The objective, for me, this season was always about re-gaining the title and nothing changes that, so the team needs to put a run of wins with dominant performances together to set us up for the game at Ibrox on 2nd January. With the likely return of key players from injury as we turn the year, we should be so much stronger for the run-in.

Back