Aaron Hickey £17 million

He’s a good young player, I hope he goes all the way. Paterson is every bit as good and talented, just shows the basket case of a club Everton are, his potential will be wasted if he’s not out of there soon.

He's a strange one for me, Hickey

Obviously rated by coaches in the game, but every time I watch him he seems to do very little. I've never seen him do something and thought 'that was top drawer'.
You'll get a job in our scouting department with chat like that.

He’s a good young player, I hope he goes all the way. Paterson is every bit as good and talented, just shows the basket case of a club Everton are, his potential will be wasted if he’s not out of there soon.
Patterson needs to get out of Everton in order to prove himself.
Regardless of whether Everton go stay up or are relegated, he needs a club that’ll help get him back on track and too a level he’s capable of.

He's a strange one for me, Hickey

Obviously rated by coaches in the game, but every time I watch him he seems to do very little. I've never seen him do something and thought 'that was top drawer'.
He's a full back to be fair, they are there to do a steady job and rarely grab the limelight.

You were spot on......

Scotland has plenty of talented youngsters now. I would argue that the players coming through is at all all time high, since the turn of the century m. The boy Liam Morrison made the bench for Bayern Munich this weekend.

Granted it’s been quiet year in the SPL with most leaving last year.

We have our own share, we just have to stop doing things half arsed and giving guys proper sustained opportunities.

On Hickey himself, it’s a classic case of seeing talent and developing it at an early stage. The guy, although he wasn’t physically developed, found a way at hearts and still looked the part, which will have done him the world of good. When they played Man Utd at the start of the season he absolutely flattened Ronaldo in a 50/50.

Genuinely hope Hearts get something decent from this.

Love when we get a quality player on a free like Souttar but the thought of losing Goldson on a free after all we'd been through was sickening, so hopefully they get a bit from Hickey deal.

Hopefully we do something with Kamara if he's leaving. Any team that bids, add an extra four, five million to the fee because of contract length, since we're getting short changed on Aribo.

Know football doesn't work that way but hope if Kamara is going we get well above what he's worth.
%^*& them.

Patterson needs to get out of Everton in order to prove himself.
Regardless of whether Everton go stay up or are relegated, he needs a club that’ll help get him back on track and too a level he’s capable of.

He had a decent half against Leicester- I think he will start the next match.

Genuinely hope Hearts get something decent from this.

Love when we get a quality player on a free like Souttar but the thought of losing Goldson on a free after all we'd been through was sickening, so hopefully they get a bit from Hickey deal.

Hopefully we do something with Kamara if he's leaving. Any team that bids, add an extra four, five million to the fee because of contract length, since we're getting short changed on Aribo.

Know football doesn't work that way but hope if Kamara is going we get well above what he's worth.
That has got to be a certaintity.
An absolute must.
As much a must as McGregor, Kent and Morelos going.

He's strong, athletic, gets up and down the park all day, good on the ball and two footed.

If he was still at Hearts he'd be labelled still not good enough on here because he was playing in Scotland.

That everyday, a fair number of very decent talent right under our noses has been allowed to leave these shores without a hint of interest from us. But then that is no surprise as our scouting has been honking for so long.

Believe Hickey was at the Tims as a youth and they let him go - Hearts knocked back a bid or two from them trying to buy him back before his move abroad.

Hickeys class
If you saw him against Spain then this is evident
Had that Ceballos (Real Madrid) & Rodri wrapped up
Far stronger and looked like the game was easy for him.
Think this is what’s turned Peps head

He's strong, athletic, gets up and down the park all day, good on the ball and two footed.

If he was still at Hearts he'd be labelled still not good enough on here because he was playing in Scotland.
If that's a dig at people rejecting suggestions for spfl players to come to Rangers, then I'd say that just because someone looks good at this level, it's not a guarantee of them being able to step up several levels. Liam Boyce looked like Haaland at Ross County, Michael Higdon was top scorer when a strong Rangers and Celtic were competing for the title. Not every player that has a purple patch is some kind of undiscovered 20 million quid talent.

Scotland has plenty of talented youngsters now. I would argue that the players coming through is at all all time high, since the turn of the century m. The boy Liam Morrison made the bench for Bayern Munich this weekend.

Granted it’s been quiet year in the SPL with most leaving last year.

We have our own share, we just have to stop doing things half arsed and giving guys proper sustained opportunities.

On Hickey himself, it’s a classic case of seeing talent and developing it at an early stage. The guy, although he wasn’t physically developed, found a way at hearts and still looked the part, which will have done him the world of good. When they played Man Utd at the start of the season he absolutely flattened Ronaldo in a 50/50.
It's amazing how he improved playing in the first teams rather than in reseves or constantly on the bench.

Certainly won't be something we would be interested in. Too fanciful thinking.

It's been the injuries that have hampered Patterson this season. He had a good start to the season with Everton. I do agree it wasn't the best choice of club for him.
Also been hampered by the revolving door management policy at Everton and the lack of public backing from hard man Dyche, who was less than enthusiastic about Nathan not that long ago. Boy would have done so much better somewhere like Fulham or Brentford, any ambitious club, rather than the entitled mess that is Everton.

If that's a dig at people rejecting suggestions for spfl players to come to Rangers, then I'd say that just because someone looks good at this level, it's not a guarantee of them being able to step up several levels. Liam Boyce looked like Haaland at Ross County, Michael Higdon was top scorer when a strong Rangers and Celtic were competing for the title. Not every player that has a purple patch is some kind of undiscovered 20 million quid talent.
The point is knowing the difference.

This was a young boy with bags of potential not a journeyman who hit a good patch.

It's amazing how he improved playing in the first teams rather than in reseves or constantly on the bench.

Certainly won't be something we would be interested in. Too fanciful thinking.

Until we're willing to play youngsters on a regular basis, Rangers will struggle to develop enough quality players. At best we'll get a very occasional Nathan Patterson every 15-20 years. And we'll see kids be lured away before getting anywhere close to the Rangers senior ranks because why would they stick with a club that has no clear progression path when they can move south and set themselves up financially?

If Hearts get 20% of that sale then that's 3.4 mill not a bad return and equivalent of say conference league run for them

Got to say every time I seen him for hearts I wasn’t overly impressed at all but then again he was very young.
Remember Kent skinning him for fun in cup semi.
Compare the career trajectory in both now ......

This was a young boy with bags of potential not a journeyman who hit a good patch.

This is it, if you are a half decent scout or manager then you will know what to look for and what the signs are.

Likewise, if we send one of our own players to a team on loan and he doesn’t stand out at a lower level, it doesn’t automatically mean he won’t make it in our first team. Players tend to play better and excel when they have better players around them. If a team in general is poor, then it can be really difficult to stand out, especially when it’s long ball down the channels and winning second balls style of football.

Didn’t Dyche say something like “Paterson isn’t a PL player yet”?

He did, but then persisted with Ben Godfrey at right back, who has been a bombscare and Michael Keane at centre back. So I wouldn’t take what Dyche says seriously. In fact, I would argue that Dyche himself is not a prem league manager.

Patterson started every league game before his injury and Everton were not in the relegation zone.

If Rangers had tried to sign him this forum would’ve went into meltdown, as it does whenever we get linked with players from other domestic clubs.

100%. We need to have the best if the Scottish Young talent but we also have to play them.

Today for example one or two of our youngsters should be involved.

Paterson can't defend. Been exposed at the top level. Good for us but not top level

I would have to take issue with that, I am not sure that’s accurate. I can’t really remember him costing Everton any goals, in fact, what stands out is some excellent covering / last ditch tackles. I might be biased.

If not Man City then Hickey will play for a top 4 Club in England in the very near future, bold prediction however he's good enough to play for any EPL club, very important player for Scotland too, on form nobody is getting near him in his favoured position in the national side.

I would have to take issue with that, I am not sure that’s accurate. I can’t really remember him costing Everton any goals, in fact, what stands out is some excellent covering / last ditch tackles. I might be biased.
Would also take issue with it. He had a great clearance in their game v Leicester which showed a lot of awareness.

He's a good player Hickey and is developing well at a well run club with a track record of bringing through young players - only a good thing for Scotland.

I think Patterson is the better player and has been more impressive for Scotland, but he's stuck at a mess of a club who in all likelihood are going to be playing Championship football next season.

I have honestly never rated him and every time I watch him he still looks like a wee boy.

It goes against the grain though as so many posters on here must be part time Bologna fans due to their constant raving of him.

I just dont see it!
Seen him for Scotland and thought he was a tidy footballer but needs to grow and develop a bit more.
He has come on a lot since Hearts.

Yes i think too many people judge the performance of young players against the better players in the team or on the pitch. At 16 Hickey looked outstanding for his age but lucky to be getting a game. John McGinn was also the same but both soared after further playing and life experience,
It can take time to develop young players but at the top end in Scotland more often than not teams want ready made players

Back