Aberdeen's controversial penalty

monkey magic

That the media never used that adjective when describing the incident summed up the generic reporting on the game midweek. An Aberdeen player shoves Barasic into a crowd of players in the penalty area before the same player heads the ball onto the arm of Morelos, and a penalty kick is awarded. How can that not be anything but a " controversial " decision. ? It is inconceivable that Clancy never saw the blatant shove on Barasic.

2-35 minutes into the video clip.

It was only when the replay from behind the goal was shown I noticed the clear two handed push by Ferguson.

What was also clear was Clancy had an unobstructed view, was less than 10 yards away and was at the correct angle to see this infringement but, unfortunately, we all know how selective "Clancyvision" is.

I've no idea why on the pitch Barisic and others didn't react to this and Gio, later, only mentioned the wind blowing the ball off the penalty spot and a possible re-take rather than the push resulting in what should have been a Rangers free kick.

anyone notice brown having a punch at borna before he was pushed by ferguson
Well spotted.

It was scarcely a punch, to be fair, but he certainly raises his arm intending to impede Borna. In full view of Clancy, too. As was Ferguson's two-handed shove in Borna's back.

Brown isn't 'competitive' as his fluffers in the media portray him. He's a sneaky, conniving, nasty, embarrassing excuse for a professional footballer, who shows his opponents no respect whatsoever.

And WTF did Alfie get booked for?! It was ball to arm, not the other way about.

Last edited:
It was only when the replay from behind the goal was shown I noticed the clear two handed push by Ferguson.

What was also clear was Clancy had an unobstructed view, was less than 10 yards away and was at the correct angle to see this infringement but, unfortunately, we all know how selective "Clancyvision" is.

I've no idea why on the pitch Barisic and others didn't react to this and Gio, later, only mentioned the wind blowing the ball off the penalty spot and a possible re-take rather than the push resulting in what should have been a Rangers free kick.
The push on Borna is clear and blatant from whichever angle you look at it. There is, however, one particular angle (from behind the goal possibly) where you can see exactly the intensity of the push and, also, the fact that Clancy has an unobstructed view of the incident. This is, afterall, the guy who could see a shirt pull in a crowded box at Hampden but cant see a blatant push right in front of him.

Imagine if Goldson had pushed McCrorie in the Aberdeen penalty area, headed the ball against Bates arm, then ran to the ref to demand and receive a penalty kick. ? There would have been a media meltdown all week and the ref annihilated. A controversial penalty would only be the beginning of the media bedlam unleashed.
Exactly.
All we want is parity not favourable treatment but Scottish refs are incapable of applying the rules fairly

Rule No,1
Every penalty awarded to Rangers is 'controversial' no matter how much of a stonewaller
Every penalty awarded against Rangers is 'a stonewaller' no matter how controversial
Sadly this sums it up. Yet the paedos get away with a litany of stonewallers not being awarded against them.

The Dundee United one was criminal.

I would play every unjust decision against and every correct decision for us showing the propaganda and bias against us and expect our players to use their anger to crush teams on the park ensuring the card whistlers influence is weakened to a consolation!

Would VAR have overruled this baring in the mind it will still be the same officials deliberating these incidents, can someone please explain the Yellow card for Morelos.

I hope our discussion with the SFA isn’t a generic complaint but a list of clips like this, I’m sure it is, asking them how a referee can make so many errors in one game. And more importantly, what are they going to do to ensure it doesn’t happen again to us.

In fact, I hope we bring up the Celtic game fiasco as well and show this isn’t the first time either.

Last edited:
Alfredo Morelos has started in thirteen games he’s refereed. He’s got two reds ( one straight) and five yellows in those thirteen games. He’s refereed three Rangers games against Aberdeen that Morelos has started in, one straight red and two yellows. The straight red he gave versus Aberdeen was rescinded and reduced to a yellow.

I hope our discussion with the SFA isn’t a generic complaint but a list of clips like this, I’m sure it is, asking them how a referee can make so many errors in one game. And more importantly, what are they going to do to ensure it doesn’t happen again to us.

In fact, I hope we bring up the Celtic game fiasco as well and show this isn’t the first time either.

The media don't want to discuss Aberdeen being awarded a penalty that never was, a penalty that cost us 2 points, and Clancy's role in that decision.

If there is one thing I hope for after all if this is that the next game we play them at Ibrox we turn it into an Old Firm type atmosphere. If we do this then we will wipe the floor with them. The fact that a terrible Aberdeen side has taken 4 points off this season is not good enough. Let's keep the antics of Tuesday night fresh in our memory and use it to our advantage.

Clancy couldn’t of been better placed to see the push, his view was totally unobstructed.
Its simply cheating.

Borna should of been in his face shouting for the push.

Clancy couldn’t of been better placed to see the push, his view was totally unobstructed.
Its simply cheating.

Borna should of been in his face shouting for the push.

I've not read one media report of the game where the ludicrous Aberdeen penalty award has been accurately reported. None of them in the press box saw the blatant push on Barisic.

You can't blame Ferguson, players do stuff like this in the box.
The referee is there to officiate this and Clancy failed.
Bilko, 'Clancy failed' could be a phrase that symbolises this season.

However, you and I know Clancy never failed at all.

I keep thinking back to Dec 2019, but the more evidence you see, this latest sham of a performance, even trumps that.

Thing about the penalty was ….Alfie was booked,after reading various reports from other referees….they were saying this is standard practice for a handball in the box….fair enough if that is the ruling.Last night handball in the box by a Stirling Albion player..penalty awarded….still waiting for that yellow card to be shown.

Back