Absent Friends - raise a glass for those Bears who saw 54 but are sadly not with us for 55

My mum and dad, long gone now as I'll be 69 this year. My wee Ma came from Nuneaton Street in Brighton in the days when Brighton was teeming with folk. They taught me about the standards of Rangers, of Bill Struth that last today. My Dad told me of Alan Morton, Jerry Dawson, Willie Waddell and Geordie Young, Willie Thornton and Willie Woodburn. Rangers were and are unique, I have tried to pass these qualities on to my children and grandchildren. I love the Glasgow Rangers.

My mum and dad, long gone now as I'll be 69 this year. My wee Ma came from Nuneaton Street in Brighton in the days when Brighton was teeming with folk. They taught me about the standards of Rangers, of Bill Struth that last today. My Dad told me of Alan Morton, Jerry Dawson, Willie Waddell and Geordie Young, Willie Thornton and Willie Woodburn. Rangers were and are unique, I have tried to pass these qualities on to my children and grandchildren. I love the Glasgow Rangers.
That's Brigton not brighton

Alan Roger, my "fitba dad". Used to drive the minibus that went from Alyth when I started follow following in the early 80s. We got season tickets together in the Copland Front in 87 and went home and away for years until ill health stopped him going around 2000. He was taken from us in late February 2012 just as we were entering the dark times. One of his sons and myself were still following the team everywhere together until the pandemic hit. Got sent a picture of his grave this afternoon and one of his grandsons had placed a Champions 55 scarf on it. Dusty eyes time.
Here's to you pal and all our other absent friends. 55 was for you all.

My Grampa died in Oct 2015. Last game we attended was St Mirren in August 2015, first game of our 2nd Championship season. Didn’t for a minute think he wouldn’t see 55 never mind the end of that season. Will have a large whisky for him tonight.

My Dad. The man who taught me about The Rangers.

Too many Rangers pals and acquaintances to mention separately.

They will all be watching from on high, with a very large glass in their hand.

To everyone, family, friends, former players, staff etc. Thank you for whatever role you had in our history and indeed future.

You will never be forgotten.
Thank you.

I lost my dad when he was only 57. I vividly remember him taking me to Ibrox in the 80s for my first visit. The hunger to be there has remained since and will never leave me.

My mum - the 2nd last time I spoke to her was the day Gerrard signed and she had just been released from the Royal. We were both excited about what Gerrard might do for the Club. She passed away 12 days later.

My son Ben who was born sleeping in March 2012. I carried his coffin at his funeral on the 27th April and the next day I watched Celtic fans carry a coffin of Rangers at the Old Firm game. It was such a dark time, the depths of despair. But just like Rangers, it’s been long road to recovery but we never lost sight, never lost faith and never gave up. And now we’re back.

This title is so important and so emotional for those reasons.

My dad, aged 64, died in December just past, from cancer. He took me and my brother to our first games, and despite the tims saying “your grandchildren will be Celtic supporters” he took his grandsons to their first games too. I raise a wee glass tonight, to him, and all the others that never managed to complete the journey.

Last edited:
Tonight I raised a glass to my boy, we started the journey together, going up and down the country, going to places that we only thought we would be going to in cup games, up the league's we came, today we won the title, for myself it's been a rollercoaster day, so happy that we have done it but so sad that we didn't finish it together, what I do know is if there is a place up there he will be giving it big licks, just wish we could have done it together son.

My dad, Davie Sneddon. He loved Rangers and through him I inherited my love for Rangers, my working class Protestant work ethic and also, sadly, my big nose. Enjoy tonight dad, wherever in the universe you are.

Last edited:
It's times like these that makes us Bears fans the Best in the world. No matter whats thrown at us we still stick together, through all the highs and lows, we remain Brothers/Sisters in arms. I've never been so proud of everyone involved leading unto this moment. At 23.55 I'll raise my glass to everyone absent and all.

Lost a couple of people along the way. Sadly lost our uncle a few years back when we were at our lowest point.

I'm not religious in any way but I hope he was watching that this weekend.

Every weekend from the age of 11/12 (when I was old enough to get the train on my own), I'd be down at my papa's house to watch the Rangers games. I still went to his every weekend to watch the football whilst at uni when we were in the 3rd division and on our way back to the SPL. We'd argue about the players and false dawns but he was a wise head, had seen it all before and knew the players at that stage were awful in contrast to my youthful enthusiasm. He died in May 2017 and the last game we watch together was Patrick Thistle 1 v 2 Rangers. He always said he'd never see us win a league title in his lifetime. Sadly he was right.

I watched many league title wins with him and watched 54 with him in 2011 as we both sat with lumps in our throats as the Weir and Smith hoisted the trophy. I wish he was was around to see this today, he'd have been in his element. Not ashamed to say I shed tears today thinking of our win and my papa.

A wonderful man and a wonderful Ranger.

My father passed away on Nov 28th after a long illness. The last game we went to was Bayer Leverkusen at Ibrox.

Although we lost, he couldn’t contain his pride at seeing Rangers on the journey to back where we belong.

He was bedridden and nil by mouth at the end and on a syringe driver. Fittingly, the last time we spoke was when Scott Arfield scored the opener against Benfica at Ibrox. He quietly slipped away on the Saturday morning.

He would’ve loved today, and seeing the mentally challengeds drop points always made him smile. Had a wee greet at full time, and I still get the same excitement when I walk up the stairs and see the hallowed turf that I experienced the first time I walked up the Broomloan Front stairs as a wee boy with him by my side.

I'm dedicating the 55th Title Win to a Bear, who I was so proud to call Brother-in-Law, Lance Innes, Lance died November 2019 after complications with Pncreatitis, Lance was a lifelong Rangers Man, and this Title is for him

Lance served his Country proudly in the Gordon Highlanders, serving in N.Ireland, and various Countries around the World, when he came out of the Army, he trained as a Parammedic, and did that for a number of years, until he got sick fed up of being attacked, even while trying to save lives, he moved back to his hometown and worked on Lorries, until an accident forced him to give up working, Lance suffered with serious bouts of bad health, but watching Rangers was always a great tonic to him

Stupidly, a Hospital disagnosed Lance with Gall Stones, but they then left him, never bothering to do anything for him, or about them, that was until it was too late, Lance was rushed to Edinburgh Royal where he died four days after being admitted

I hope you're looking down with pride Lance, we're still proud of you

My father, Alexander Beedie, 1950-2020

Also my Stepdad (and the kindest man I ever knew), David Mitchell, 1966-2020

Absent Friends.

My wee ma .....Jan 2017.Made sure I was brought up to support the teddies. I knew my kids would also be bluenoses .....granny wouldn’t have it any other way. She bought every strip for my son.

Would have loved today.

My grandpa a loyal Shotts man who claimed he was Shotts Bon Accord but only ever referred to Rangers as ‘we.’

My grandfather, a junior football legend and without doubt a Bear, a glass to him.

Last edited:
My Gran, who passed away in May 2012. I think she may not have been aware of how much of a nick we were in at that point, and that pleases me in a way.

On Tuesday morning there, I took a wee walk about Ibrox, spending time at mine and my Dads bricks, then finally the Disaster Memorial. I took a few moments in silence to remember her and also two Great Uncles, who passed away not long after (both my Grans brothers) and also wonder how happy they'd have been had they been alive today.

She was always annoyed that I didn't get involved with the Church in order to then get into to the Orange and/or the Craft, but I won't pretend I believe in God or a higher power in order to be able to. I hope that deep down she respected my decision.

55 is for all we've lost. Celebrate it for them.

My dad. The man who’s mates called the acceptable face of sectarianism lol.

Gave me my love of the Gers and I’ll always be grateful to him for that.
My Uncle Norman :) never saw him without a smile, went to games with my dad FING legend! I miss them both.

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
That's an emotional read Mark

He's dancing in the sky for 55

My brother, from Shotts, Girny who posted on here, was diagnosed with C just before SG got the job. I flew up and we went to Gerrard's 1st game , we had a pint in the Louden. We were both excited about the appointment, but Gordon's news about being given max 18 months to live, was devastating. We had my brothers funeral 7 weeks later . #GBNF ❤

Two great FF posters, Number Eight (Gordon) and 90minbear (Pearl), sadly passed away during the journey back to the top.

They’d certainly have loved this weekend.
Knew about Gordon.

I knew Pearl had been ill but thought she was on the mend. Very sad to hear.

Brian 'Chopper' Young (Ballynahinch)
William Perry (Ballynahinch)
Herbie Maxwell (Clough Co.Down)
Dave 'Brighton Dave' Clark (Brighton)
Billy Steel (Bellshill)
Alex Maxwell(senior) (Dunoon)
Stephen 'Burt' Reynolds (Calvay club)
Andy Strawhorn ( Kilmarnock)
Alan 'Mini' Cooper (Cardiff TB)

To All Absent Friends in Blue Heaven
Gone But Not Forgotten

My dad James/Jimmy Lowden. He went to Barcelona and would always tell me stories of his Rangers days. He would of loved yesterday so much and had a beer in hand until the early hours I imagine.
One of my last Rangers memories was watching the old firm highlights with him the Ryan Jack 1-0 game back in 2018. Brought big smiles. He knew this day would not be too long! GBNF!

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
My Gran Ella Perry and her sister my aunty Jean. Both staunch bluenoses and loved to sing the party tunes at family get togethers. More recently their brother and my great uncle, Tam Perry. Uncle Tam was rangers daft, died a few minutes after the last old firm game. A true gentleman with a wicked sense of humour and loved a swally. I loved them all dearly and there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about them all. They would have absolutely loved this. Forever in peace.

Gordon Semple - aka Number EIght

WAO8nWZ.jpg

Number_Eight has passed away

Sadly, Number_Eight aka Gordon Semple, has passed away after a year-long struggle with brain cancer. Roughly nine months of improvement were followed by a relapse.

Gordon wrote for the Follow Follow fanzine and this website for many years and along with Colin Glass was - I consider - one of the two founders of the Rangers Supporters Trust. The two of them talked and worked on it and then when there was a Supporters Direct conference in Tynecastle invited me along and thereafter the plans to launch the RST were laid.

Gordon would serve for many years on the RST Board and in parallel kept up a barrage of well-written articles in the fanzine and latterly online. Talking to one of his sons earlier this evening we laughed at the difficulty of moving Gordon’s opinions once he had made his mind up on a topic!

After making his contribution to the RST he still wrote and campaigned - I recall a few lonely protests in the David Murray days when Gordon was one of the few faces who kept up the struggle. He never wavered in doing what he thought best for the club.

He was a devoted family man to his wife and four kids. Well-kent around Bearsden and in the taxi trade. He’ll be sadly missed.

The family will inform us of funeral arrangements as they become available.

Goodbye old pal.

Amid the sadness there is often a silver lining of laughter. Talking to his oldest son I recalled when we alerted FF.com users that we were going to have to cull a lot of posts and archive them as it was slowing the servers - so if you thought a classic thread was worth saving to a special forum please bump it up. I went to bed and in the morning found Gordon had bumped every single thread he had ever started!

Back