According to VAR Review Panel, we’ve had the most decisions incorrectly go against us of any club in the league

Surely it’s the case that these penalties should have been given by the match referee aren’t due to official and press intimidation
Some officials use VAR as a safety net to deflect pressure from the above being heaped on them
Every time a ref has to change his mind after reviewing VAR, it’s not a good look for him. It’s an admission he got it wrong? Pride has to come in to your work. I doubt the refs just think, ‘it’s ok, those watching will keep me right’.

Too many games in this country get reffed by ‘fans’ rather than referees.

That's only the ones they're admitting to.. While marking their own homework!!
When was the last time a game changing decisions went against C****c ?
And we all know the,reaction if it did !! :oops:
Well, I'd argue that the penalty that went against them at Tynecastle, just before half time at 0-0, in a game they went on to lose 2-0 would probably qualify

It's funny, the Kilmarnock one we still came back from and won the game. That's probably the most "impactful" in terms of the game situation

The Sterling red card a close 2nd as it's only 2-1 at the time and puts us under the cosh for 8 minutes of injury time. But again, we manage to see the game out

The one at Parkhead comes with an asterix, because if things had been done properly we'd still not have received the penalty I suspect. Right conclusion, wrong process is probably the fair description

So that leaves us with Cifuentes against Dundee, which whilst inconvenient wasn't a massive issue at the time, and the Kilmarnock penalty against Souttar at Ibrox.

So 4 of the 5 mistakes we've been on the hard done by end of, are in games that we've ultimately won anyway (not that it justifies them, it just suggests that the "cheating" isn't very good)

But then, I see we're doing that FF thing... we take the IRP as gospel for the Sterling red card against Aberdeen, whilst still arguing that Roofe's goal in the September Old Firm should have stood despite the fact that the IRP didn't deem that an incorrect decision...

All in all, it just goes to show the narrative on here that Celtic are on the receiving end of the benefit of VAR is pretty far from the truth. It gives an element of credence to the concerns that we seem to be disproportionately on the wrong end of decisions - but strangely only in games we win

Well, I'd argue that the penalty that went against them at Tynecastle, just before half time at 0-0, in a game they went on to lose 2-0 would probably qualify

It's funny, the Kilmarnock one we still came back from and won the game. That's probably the most "impactful" in terms of the game situation

The Sterling red card a close 2nd as it's only 2-1 at the time and puts us under the cosh for 8 minutes of injury time. But again, we manage to see the game out

The one at Parkhead comes with an asterix, because if things had been done properly we'd still not have received the penalty I suspect. Right conclusion, wrong process is probably the fair description

So that leaves us with Cifuentes against Dundee, which whilst inconvenient wasn't a massive issue at the time, and the Kilmarnock penalty against Souttar at Ibrox.

So 4 of the 5 mistakes we've been on the hard done by end of, are in games that we've ultimately won anyway (not that it justifies them, it just suggests that the "cheating" isn't very good)

But then, I see we're doing that FF thing... we take the IRP as gospel for the Sterling red card against Aberdeen, whilst still arguing that Roofe's goal in the September Old Firm should have stood despite the fact that the IRP didn't deem that an incorrect decision...

All in all, it just goes to show the narrative on here that Celtic are on the receiving end of the benefit of VAR is pretty far from the truth. It gives an element of credence to the concerns that we seem to be disproportionately on the wrong end of decisions - but strangely only in games we win

Would also add the Silva penalty in the last game against them as a game changing decision.

The crux of the matter is that despite the number of posts on here defending referees, the stats tell a different story.

It's not just VAR mistakes, it's the high proportion of our penalties referred to VAR and the abnormally low yellow cards/foul stat Celtic continually notch up season after season.

I’ve tried for long and weary to convince myself that the refs aren’t crooked even though RCs and obvious yahoo supporters.

I’ve lost that internal debate. The stats of the admitted “mistakes” and the sheer weight of other evidence (such as those factors mentioned in your post above) draw only one possible conclusion.

We are refereed to a different standard by the yahoo refereeing fraternity, and it’s been going on for years.

As you say, we actually to need to look far beyond just the admitted “mistakes” to see the whole picture of how these referees are influencing title results

Last edited:
No surprise there. And even before VAR we were the team most wronged i expect.
The thing that strikes me is what the hell is this actually telling us - is it that our officials are so incapable of making correct decisions , even with tech to help them?
IF this is meaningful data, with a purpose, then surely the next action would be for those VAR experts/refs to declare why the are making wrong decisions.
Yes. The next steps would be to look at those incorrect decisions, both for and against, and see who was the on field ref and who was on VAR? See if there are common denominators.

Incorrect VAR decisions against for the season according to the IRP:

Rangers 5
St Mirren 4
Dundee 4
Hearts 4
Hibs 2
Livingston 2
Aberdeen 2
St Johnstone 1
Motherwell 1
Celtic 1
Kilmarnock 0
Ross County 0

Interesting statistics considering all VAR does is apparently cheat in our favour and against the filth.

It’s nothing that most of our support don’t already know when it comes to being robbed by officials, but it just goes to show that the filths control over the narrative sways the rest of Scottish footballs opinions to somehow think all the officials work in our favour.

The reality is massively different.
Declan has just reviewed these findings and disagrees, he's adamant the refs are still conspiring to help Rangers win.

Yes. The next steps would be to look at those incorrect decisions, both for and against, and see who was the on field ref and who was on VAR? See if there are common denominators.
For our 7

Clancy x2 - 1 for, 1 against in the Dundee game at Ibrox
Robertson - Sterling
Walsh - Parkhead
McLean - McAusland Penalty at Livi
Dickinson - Lundstram at Rugby Park
Beaton - Souttar at Ibrox

Were the on field referee. No real pattern there

Dallas was VAR at Rugby Park and Collum for Parkhead are the only 2 I can remember off the top of my head there

For our 7

Clancy x2 - 1 for, 1 against in the Dundee game at Ibrox
Robertson - Sterling
Walsh - Parkhead
McLean - McAusland Penalty at Livi
Dickinson - Lundstram at Rugby Park
Beaton - Souttar at Ibrox

Were the on field referee. No real pattern there

Dallas was VAR at Rugby Park and Collum for Parkhead are the only 2 I can remember off the top of my head there
Cheers. Thinking about it the numbers might be pretty even as they're all shit refs but I'd probably guess at Clancy, Collum and Beaton being the top 3. You'd want to add the on field ref and var ref numbers together as no matter which role they're doing their mistakes still matter. Though it could be interesting to see if any of the refs are particularly shit at one role or another.

So what were Radio Clyde referring to last night? They kept saying St Mirren were hardest done by with these calls with most incorrect decisions against them.
Anything to deflect or admit we are the most hard done by.You couldn't imagine in your wildest dreams their programme siding with Rangers ...they just couldn't do it...could you imagine the furore from their audience.....? So it's easier for them to misinform.

Cheers. Thinking about it the numbers might be pretty even as they're all shit refs but I'd probably guess at Clancy, Collum and Beaton being the top 3. You'd want to add the on field ref and var ref numbers together as no matter which role they're doing their mistakes still matter. Though it could be interesting to see if any of the refs are particularly shit at one role or another.
Kirkland was VAR for Clancy and McLean
Aitken for Robertson
Collum for Walsh
Dallas for Dickinson and Beaton

So Kirkland has 2 for and 1 against
Aitken is blameless as he recommended a review for Robertson
Collum...
Dallas is at 2 against (although I still claim its 3 cause I don't understand how the Mayo handball isn't a mistake)

Anything to deflect or admit we are the most hard done by.You couldn't imagine in your wildest dreams their programme siding with Rangers ...they just couldn't do it...could you imagine the furore from their audience.....? So it's easier for them to misinform.
It's not misinformation though

It's taking the information and using the differential between right and wrong decisions as the baseline

St Mirren are at 4 against, were at 5 against and 2 for

So they're using the -4 and the -3 as the marker

Yet we still have some on here who go into defensive mode on behalf of referees/var and their decisions in OF games.
Yeah they tell you over and over and refs are hopeless but every call that goes against Rangers, or the tims way, is somehow excellent refereeing.

Makes zero sense but none of them the care you see this makes you so much better than posters on tim websites.

We dont have bad refs we have refs that deal with the situation they are put in and will do what it takes to survivie and avoid issues with the media. The standard is pretty good.

That is why the stats will be similar next season and there is every chance more debatable VAR decisions will go against us when we play the tims another couple of times this season.

So Sterling vs Aberdeen:

Ref showed the red
VAR called the ref to the screen
Ref kept with his decision
Rangers appealed
Appeal panel upheld the decision
Now we are told it's a mistake

Corrupt to the core
Protecting Robertson is what it was and St Mirren lost a player for a similar one. Both appeals were dismissed. St Mirrens next game happened to be.. you guessed it - Celtic

Incorrect VAR decisions against for the season according to the IRP:

Rangers 5
St Mirren 4
Dundee 4
Hearts 4
Hibs 2
Livingston 2
Aberdeen 2
St Johnstone 1
Motherwell 1
Celtic 1
Kilmarnock 0
Ross County 0

Interesting statistics considering all VAR does is apparently cheat in our favour and against the filth.

It’s nothing that most of our support don’t already know when it comes to being robbed by officials, but it just goes to show that the filths control over the narrative sways the rest of Scottish footballs opinions to somehow think all the officials work in our favour.

The reality is massively different.

The unwashed ramblings have never ever been about facts though. Anything they say is easy to disprove as we’ve seen many times on here. Their true motivation is to swamp social media and the normal media with false narratives in the hope that it influences refs/var officials to give decisions in their favour and secondary ambition is to use as a comfort blanket when Rangers win something.

It never been about actual true facts.

I’ve tried for long and weary to convince myself that the refs aren’t crooked even though RCs and obvious yahoo supporters.

I’ve lost that internal debate. The stats of the admitted “mistakes” and the sheer weight of other evidence (such as those factors mentioned in your post above) draw only one possible conclusion.

We are referred to a different standard by the yahoo refereeing fraternity, and it’s been going on for years.

As you say, we actually to need to look far beyond just the admitted “mistakes” to see the whole picture of how these referees are influencing title results
In most cases I don’t put it down to religion (Robertson and Walsh were reasonably OK when they began) but due to pressure. Clancy and Collum, though?:rolleyes:

As Beaton has found out, any decision seen to hinder Celtic creates a furious backlash. The reverse simply doesn't happen.

Protecting Robertson is what it was and St Mirren lost a player for a similar one. Both appeals were dismissed. St Mirrens next game happened to be.. you guessed it - Celtic
The St Mirren player would have missed the Celtic game regardless
He'd already been booked, and would still have been sent off for a 2nd yellow so would have missed the next game

The St Mirren player would have missed the Celtic game regardless
He'd already been booked, and would still have been sent off for a 2nd yellow so would have missed the next game
That happened to be coincidental.

The point being that both reds should have been downgraded and weren't.

Now Sterling's red is listed as an error even after an appeal was rejected. We know why it happened because Robertson couldn't get his card out quickly enough and the fans at Ibrox let him know he'd been caught out.

He still stuck with his decision despite VAR telling him that he was wrong.

St Mirren would have lost that player for that game anyway. Bolton was already booked prior to making that challenge so straight red is probably wrong but there's nothing Mclean could do in that situation if he downgraded to a yellow he's off anyway.

Pretty sure in the appeal process the referee is part of it so if Robertson thought in real time and VAR review Sterling's was a red he's not going to change his mind when he goes to the appeal.

Surely it’s the case that these penalties should have been given by the match referee aren’t due to official and press intimidation
Some officials use VAR as a safety net to deflect pressure from the above being heaped on them
The penalty at McDiarmid park for wiping out Sterling was a real red flag.

So blatant but you could see the fear on the refs face to give it and instead he let it go to VAR so he could say it wasn’t him.

St Mirren would have lost that player for that game anyway. Bolton was already booked prior to making that challenge so straight red is probably wrong but there's nothing Mclean could do in that situation if he downgraded to a yellow he's off anyway.

Pretty sure in the appeal process the referee is part of it so if Robertson thought in real time and VAR review Sterling's was a red he's not going to change his mind when he goes to the appeal.
You're trying to defend the indefensible mate.

You're trying to defend the indefensible mate.

Not really I don't think it was a red card it was a laughable decision. Even if Robertson isn't part of the process its 3 tribunal members who decide based on the laws of the game.

I honestly thought St Mirren would have been top of that list but I can’t say I’m surprised that it’s Rangers.

Not really I don't think it was a red card it was a laughable decision. Even if Robertson isn't part of the process its 3 tribunal members who decide based on the laws of the game.
So if you think it's a laughable decision that has now been flagged as a wrong decision. Its now made a mockery of the appeal process hasn't it?

The appeals panel clearly don't know the rules of the game either.

I dont think we will see an end to the bias it is now just part of the game. Fixtures against the smaller sides you know they will get the benefit of lenient refereeing when it comes to cards and the refs seem to have decided to let VAR deal with penalties to be 100 per cent sure... against the tims the crucial VAR calls will continue to go their way.

Maybe he was trying to be clever but im not sure i understand what the manager was thinking when he said he would leave if he did not believe the ref was fair and honest. You can say he has never been involved or even watched the league previously but he has seen more than enough examples. Is possible he regrets these comments now right enough.

Over a long season we might get some simple and clear calls which is enough for some but i would not say any of them are totally neutral. I think that is almost impossible for refs in Scotland if you want to stay at the very top of the game.

So if you think it's a laughable decision that has now been flagged as a wrong decision. Its now made a mockery of the appeal process hasn't it?

One of the problems is, you don't know how the IRP works

The appeals panel requires a unanimous decision, the IRP I suspect, doesn't. Nor do we know who's on it, or their background (nor really do we care frankly)

There are at least 2 people out there who think the speed at which Sterling carried into the tackle was "excessive" and therefore warranted a red card. I don't think it's a red card, I think we should have won the appeal... but I watched the VAR check at the time (thanks Sky and the big screens you can see from the back of the Main stand when they're commentating) and said immediately his issue might well be the speed at which he went into the tackle

It does however make the appeals process look a bit like it's a backup of the referee... both in that instance, and the Bolton one for St Mirren

IM assuming its not the full story as its only incorrect VAR decisions and isnt including times when VAR should have got involved and didn't?

Bet 3 of those 5 are in games against them as well.

How many disallowed goals and penalties have the peasants been given against them that later turned out to be incorrect decisions, mate. ?

One of the problems is, you don't know how the IRP works

The appeals panel requires a unanimous decision, the IRP I suspect, doesn't. Nor do we know who's on it, or their background (nor really do we care frankly)

There are at least 2 people out there who think the speed at which Sterling carried into the tackle was "excessive" and therefore warranted a red card. I don't think it's a red card, I think we should have won the appeal... but I watched the VAR check at the time (thanks Sky and the big screens you can see from the back of the Main stand when they're commentating) and said immediately his issue might well be the speed at which he went into the tackle

It does however make the appeals process look a bit like it's a backup of the referee... both in that instance, and the Bolton one for St Mirren
The Sterling decision does jump out big time, because it was hugely contentious in the moment in the ground, it became significantly more contentious when Robertson was called for the OFR and (I think the only time I've ever witnessed personally at a game) decided to stick with his original decision. To then be sent to appeal and have him backed and then for a further review of incidents across the season to highlight this one as incorrect, plain and simply says there are multiple failings across the system.

I've said before, but the culture of circling wagons, protecting refs and deflecting any kind of proper accountability for mistakes in Scotland really needs addressed.

Mistakes and subjective calls are one thing, but when there are multiple layers of check and review carried out and ultimately the same incorrect decision and its impact allowed to stand, something needs done.

It's fine that they put these stats out now, but it's frankly too late. The effect of the mistakes has happened. They absolutely need to be better in the moment and VAR should be a massive leap towards ensuring they are.

The people implementing it up here are a major problem though IMHO. Few if any of the incorrect calls can be blamed on the technology - it's the people that bring about the failures.

Wouldn't say so no it's 3 panel members interpretation of the laws of the game and 2 out the 3 just need to agree for the appeal decision to stand. I am pretty sure for serious foul play the ref is involved in the process so it would actually be worse if Robertson reviews it for the 3rd time then doesn't think it's a red card.

The panel that says it was an error is made up of ex players, coaches, managers and people that know the laws of the game. What the system is to determine what is/isn't an error isn't known so that process could be totally different to the appeal hearing.

The Sterling decision does jump out big time, because it was hugely contentious in the moment in the ground, it became significantly more contentious when Robertson was called for the OFR and (I think the only time I've ever witnessed personally at a game) decided to stick with his original decision. To then be sent to appeal and have him backed and then for a further review of incidents across the season to highlight this one as incorrect, plain and simply says there are multiple failings across the system.

I've said before, but the culture of circling wagons, protecting refs and deflecting any kind of proper accountability for mistakes in Scotland really needs addressed.

Mistakes and subjective calls are one thing, but when there are multiple layers of check and review carried out and ultimately the same incorrect decision and its impact allowed to stand, something needs done.

It's fine that they put these stats out now, but it's frankly too late. The effect of the mistakes has happened. They absolutely need to be better in the moment and VAR should be a massive leap towards ensuring they are.

The people implementing it up here are a major problem though IMHO. Few if any of the incorrect calls can be blamed on the technology - it's the people that bring about the failures.

Refs get hounded for weeks on end in the media if a perceived big decision goes against the peasants. They have been cowed and compromised, and just want Celtc games won for the peasants and over and done with to avoid any media controversy brought upon themselves. It is gangsterism, nothing less.

How many disallowed goals and penalties have the peasants been given against them that later turned out to be incorrect decisions, mate. ?
1 - against Hearts where they lost 2-0, it's been detailed by the report

We've had 2, and we won both games...

Also both us and Dundee had a red card that was given on the pitch, sent to the monitor by VAR, then confirmed by the ref, appealed by the club, then confirmed again by the SFA. These were determined to be incorrect decisions by the review.

Was it not St Mirren v Dundee (The referee was Steven MacLean VAR Gavin Duncan.) and both were not long after one of the worst tackles you’ll see this season.

Referee Steven MacLean, VAR David Dickinson.

Pesky masons again. MacLean once again showing he’ll not go out his way to upset the scum.

And goals against them which later turned out to be incorrect. ?

Same as we've also had 0

the IRP also says we've had 0 incorrectly ruled out, and the same applies to them.

There has also been 0 goals awarded on either side that should have been ruled out

If you were to look at the allegiances of all the Scottish Premiership referees probably have of them are bheasts.

Maybe only one or two are Rangers fans. Beaton might be the only one.

It terms of diversity and inclusion its not very representative of the Scottish population to have bheasts as half the referees and only one Rangers fan.

Same as we've also had 0

the IRP also says we've had 0 incorrectly ruled out, and the same applies to them.

There has also been 0 goals awarded on either side that should have been ruled out

Roofe's and Dessers legitimate goals against the peasants being denied and classed as correct decisions. ? :))

Roofe's and Dessers legitimate goals against the peasants being denied and classed as correct decisions. ? :))
Yes...

Given that it's gospel over the mess at Sterling's red card, I assume you're not going to argue now that it's not gospel?

The Dessers goal being ruled out, will never be ruled a mistake... because well, it isn't...

Back