Action on HMRC Case - Election Opportunity

Chris the Bandito

It's difficult to make sense out of the various twists our saga took from the point when HMRC started their witchunt. From that point of view I don't see how the club or creditors will ever be able to get redress. Whyte's asset stripping and genuine tax evasion muddies the waters too much in terms of being able to prove the effect of the EBT bill.

However, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a full investigation into what happened within HMRC in the form of a public enquiry. If that enquiry uncovers any proof of wrong-doing (as opposed to mistakes) then those responsible must be prosecuted.

If there was political influence that too must be in the scope of the enquiry. Any sign of a conspiracy must be investigated fully and transparently.

It isn't my intention to pick political sides here in terms of which parties favour (or hates us most). I'm going to wipe the slate clean and look at this without historical bias.

In the forthcoming election I for one am going to look for any candidate wanting my vote to pledge to call or support calls for such an enquiry. However you intend to vote, ask your preferred candidate to make a similar pledge. If he or she won't commit - ask yourself what they've got to hide and vote the fuckers out.

My vote won't make a difference but if the 25% plus of the population in Scotland who identify as Rangers fans do this collectively we can bring serious pressure to bear.

If one party was to cover this in their manifesto we could deliver an electoral landslide in Scotland for any party willing to commit to this.

As an aside if no enquiry is forthcoming, I think we need to look at standing candidates under our own banner at the next Scottish election on a platform of anti-corruption and transparency. With PR, anything is possible, and I'd love to see the Rangers support deliver the ultimate reply to what a government organ and it's monkeys may have done to us by taking over the whole fucking country. How are you liking them sporting integrity apples you chunts?

Sorry but you cant get a party to look into the biggest sporting scandal EVER in world football so what chance do we have of a party looking into the scandal that enveloped our club, they all bury their heads in the sand unfortunately.

Not sure the timing fits.

It appears to me (a complete novice on financial/business matters btw) that this is going to run for a while yet, certainly before we get some clarity on exactly how big an error the HMRC have made. I think only then will it make sense to call for a public enquiry and be a relevant political issue.

I get your thought process but even if a candidate did pledge to look into it once elected theyd forget all about it. Most parties never stick to official manifestos anyway once elected.

Not sure the timing fits.

It appears to me (a complete novice on financial/business matters btw) that this is going to run for a while yet, certainly before we get some clarity on exactly how big an error the HMRC have made. I think only then will it make sense to call for a public enquiry and be a relevant political issue.

I don't think we will ever get clarity without us pushing some nuclear buttons. It'll meander along and then get mentioned in passing on some bad news day that the figure is now x, with no explanation as to how or why. The only time politicians listen to the public is when you have a pencil and a ballot paper in your hand.

The admission of "mistakes" is enough to warrant an enquiry to understand why they occurred and why the most high profile tax case in the country's history was at best grossly mismanaged. The time consuming horse trading that is still to follow won't change the past so isn't in the scope of the enquiry and there isn't any reason why it can't be done in parallel.

Clarity will come from the BDO as they progress their dialogue with HMRC, sure I read elsewhere tonight that they will be producing an updated report next summer?. Until then I see nobody attempting an enquiry while all the 'results' aren't in yet.

Clarity will come from the BDO as they progress their dialogue with HMRC, sure I read elsewhere tonight that they will be producing an updated report next summer?. Until then I see nobody attempting an enquiry while all the 'results' aren't in yet.

That will only tell what the bill ends up as.

It won't have any comment on how the bill was inflated in the first place or by whom, and who approved it.

That will only tell what the bill ends up as.

It won't have any comment on how the bill was inflated in the first place or by whom, and who approved it.

I never said it would, I just don't believe the who and why questions will be asked until a final statement has been issued. But what do I know?, perhaps now is the time to start an enquiry, just doesn't make sense to me, not right now.

If a local Glasgow company were recently wrongly issued with a colossal tax bill by HMRC resulting in administration and job losses, every political party would be all over it.

You been reading that other thread mate ?

Seemingly the HMRC employee caught leaking Rangers details for that RTC wasn’t even fired ? He was demoted only. For HMRC & telling people’s private tax info ? Unreal.

I never said it would, I just don't believe the who and why questions will be asked until a final statement has been issued. But what do I know?, perhaps now is the time to start an enquiry, just doesn't make sense to me, not right now.

Bear in mind that any public enquiry will still take time to organise and then longer to investigate and then report back, so even if one was announced just after the election it would take months or years to report back, so the final bill - which at this stage is really a commercial negotiation now - would be known before hand.

That value is relevant to shaping opinions about what the outcome might have been if that had been the bill presented, but it doesn't relate to the question of How and Why did HMRC inflate the bill in the first place, and if deliberate - at whose instigation? Those 3 questions which should be at the heart of the enquiry are not the concern of BDO and it's pretty plain HMRC and the government will bury them if left to their own devices.

You been reading that other thread mate ?

Seemingly the HMRC employee caught leaking Rangers details for that RTC wasn’t even fired ? He was demoted only. For HMRC & telling people’s private tax info ? Unreal.

Deliberately revealing private and confidential information from Govt sources into the public domain is a criminal offence. I doubt the cops were brought in if demotion was the only sanction on the offender.

I get your thought process but even if a candidate did pledge to look into it once elected theyd forget all about it. Most parties never stick to official manifestos anyway once elected.
If some candidate did then they would not get a chance to forget or bury their heads in the sand

HMRC is a UK Government department and is the responsibility of HM Treasury. Given the fact that their actions against our oldco were commenced when the Labour Party was in power at Westminster and the liquidation process carried through by the Conservative / Lib Dem coalition UK Governnent in 2012 (not forgetting that at that time the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny (now Lord) Alexander made a speech comparing Rangers to 'dole cheats'), the op's proposition would not leave too many options for a lot of people who post on here, :rolleyes:

Surely whoever was handling the Rangers tax case and made such a monumental cock up should be named and shamed,and every case he/they have ever been involved in will have to be looked at again.

Back