Adrian Sprott

The Royal Standard

This name came up in discussion with a mate today .
A footballer of no note but who's name sticks in the mind .
The reason ? As most on here will know , he scored against Rangers and knocked us out the Scottish cup , many years ago.
All those years ago and his name still sticks in the mind.
Done fück all before or after in football terms .
What I'm getting at is now , Hamilton beating rangers at Ibrox is no longer big news and the names of today's scores will be forgotten by next week .
I'm not even sure if we are surprised by these results anymore ? Without trying to state the obvious,
We are at a massive crossroads in our history, we need to get the finger out , back a quality manager with funds , and stop this slide into mediocrity.

My fear is those in charge have no idea how we get out of this . We are simply stumbling along from one embarrassment to the next .

I used to work with his department as he worked for the police. I couldn’t stand him, every time I was in his company all I could think about was that goal

If I remember right we went to tynecaste and hammered Hearts the next week.
That cup game was a freak result .
Today wasn’t .
This Callander year will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

First home defeat in the league by Hamilton in 91 years and it's not really a huge shock.When they put us out the cup that was a huge shock but now you kind of expect it in a sad kind of way.

The reason ? As most on here will know , he scored against Rangers and knocked us out the Scottish cup , many years ago.
What I'm getting at is now , Hamilton beating rangers at Ibrox is no longer big news and the names of today's scores will be forgotten by next week .
I'm not even sure if we are surprised by these results anymore ? Without trying to state the obvious,
We are at a massive crossroads in our history, we need to get the finger out , back a quality manager with funds , and stop this slide into mediocrity.

My fear is those in charge have no idea how we get out of this . We are simply stumbling along from one embarrassment to the next .

Remember it well big Chris Woods was in goal that sorry day, we hit them with everything and they got one chance and scored.We all sat in amazement as we couldn't believe the result.owing to illness now i can no longer attend games, but with this team maybe im fortunate.

The reason that Adrian Sprott's name is so famous isn't just because he scored the goal that put Rangers out of the cup against Accies. It's mainly because Chris Woods had went 1,196 minutes of football without losing a goal up until then.

The game was similar to today's in that we couldn't score despite all the chances that day.

The big difference is though that Rangers had a real leader in the Directors Box in David Holmes at that time who had had the vision to bring Souness to Ibrox.

Now we have Robertson.

The reason that Adrian Sprott's name is so famous isn't just because he scored the goal that put Rangers out of the cup against Accies. It's mainly because Chris Woods had went 1,196 minutes of football without losing a goal up until then.

The game was similar to today's in that we couldn't score despite all the chances that day.

The big difference is though that Rangers had a real leader in the Directors Box in David Holmes at that time who had had the vision to bring Souness to Ibrox.

Now we have Robertson.

Please stop..............the record was one thing, us being knocked out of the cup was the story on the day.

If I remember right we went to tynecaste and hammered Hearts the next week.
That cup game was a freak result .
Today wasn’t .
This Callander year will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.
Aye, it’s a load of Trossachs!

A good story from a few weeks after that cup defeat.We hammered the Accies in the league,and Davie Cooper said to Sprott,as they were coming off the park.
"Well son,your name wont be in the papers this weekend."
Would be a better story if it was true.

I was at that game. There was no hammering. Rangers won 2-0.

I recall the Accies players running out to the centre circle at the start, and facing each stand in turn, waving to them all.

It is good to see these threads resurrected (thanks @academical )

We were indeed in a fucking awful place 2 years ago. Thankfully the board did hire a quality manager and back him with funds.

Would be a better story if it was true.

I was at that game. There was no hammering. Rangers won 2-0.

I recall the Accies players running out to the centre circle at the start, and facing each stand in turn, waving to them all.
Perhaps not a hammering,but the story rang true. It was even verified to me by an Accies player who played in the match.

In terms of significance it definitely doesn’t merit it but standing there that freezing day and watching that unfold has caused me to keep that in my mind as one of our worst ever defeats. I took that one really badly.

While losing at home to the Accies in the SC is a bad result, I've always wondered if this result deserved the status of "one of our greatest losses" in history. Hamilton were in the SPL at the time. It would be like losing to St. Mirren this year. Again, not good, but it's not Berwick Rangers.
It wasn't close to the tims losing to Caley, Clyde, Raith Rovers etc. etc. It's almost as if the media tries to balance things by exaggerating the loss.

While losing at home to the Accies in the SC is a bad result, I've always wondered if this result deserved the status of "one of our greatest losses" in history. Hamilton were in the SPL at the time. It would be like losing to St. Mirren this year. Again, not good, but it's not Berwick Rangers.
It wasn't close to the tims losing to Caley, Clyde, Raith Rovers etc. etc. It's almost as if the media tries to balance things by exaggerating the loss.
I agree. It was much more about the run we were on and the Woods record.
Yes it was a bad and hugely surprising defeat at the time but doesn’t deserve to be up there with the ones you mention.

Remember it well big Chris Woods was in goal that sorry day, we hit them with everything and they got one chance and scored.We all sat in amazement as we couldn't believe the result.owing to illness now i can no longer attend games, but with this team maybe im fortunate.

Was their that day

I told all the guys at work on the Monday that the defeat to Accies would win us the league.

Back