After 118 years Queens Park leave Hampden

mdingwall

Administrator
ClYF3hC.jpg

I feel sorry for the QP fans losing Hampden, but it's not as if its being demolished, though of course, with the exception of the South Stand, it should.

I attended a midweek game about 35 years ago, in the old North Enclosure. I can't remember who they were playing or what the score was.

The most memorable thing about it was a a well dressed and spoken middle aged gentleman constantly pacing slowly up and down along the terracing and occasionally shouting "Come on Queen's!". He only stopped every time they came close or screwed up and then I'd hear him politely muttering to himself in frustration.

And all the while, a boy of about 14 who I presumed was his son, was going absolutely non-stop mental. What a comical juxtaposition they made.

There was certainly no romance about it, but you've got to admire the dedication of their loyal band of fans.

I remember as a boy walking down from Castlemilk to watch Rangers Reserves play Queens Park Strollers in an evening game at Lesser Hampden around about 1970.

I spent the entire match spreadeagled on the roof of the Rangers dugout, looking down every now and then at this strange new Rangers coach, he was a mad man, his language was shocking, he caught my eye every now and then to tell me “I told to you to bolt”. This was my first glimpse of Jock Wallace.

Thats some story, superb dedication from their 'superfan'. A real shame their fans can be there for the last home game.

I once attended a QP v Peterhead match - very weird being in a 50,000 capacity ground with a couple of hundred watching the game.
I went to a QP v Clyde game there and it was weird seeing the stadium/pitch with no advertising round it. Looked very dark as it’s just black round the pitch without the colourful boards to liven it up

It was strange Hampden being all but empty when I went on a Friday night to watch the speedway, the main stand was the only one open and sometimes as little as 200 watching

Pic is probably taken May 71 , we played a sasturday Glasgow Cup semi there week before Scot cup final.
Definitely Stein. We played a full strength team.

Last edited:
Keith McAllister is my mate from schooldays and we still keep in touch. He is a diamond of a bloke and I have total respect for his dedication to his club. As you can imagine it has impacted upon many areas of his life and not all for the good. I think obsession is the right word for him. A big loveable loonball.

I once attended a QP v Peterhead match - very weird being in a 50,000 capacity ground with a couple of hundred watching the game.

Just before Covid hit I was planning on going to Hampden for one of their games, just after they announced they were leaving. Bit disappointed I won’t get to sample that strange atmosphere.

So they going to be playing at lesser hampden.
Lesser Hampden has been totally revamped and looks very smart.

My first football game was QP v Albion Rovers I think back in 1977ish. My dad is a Queen's Park fan. Don't remember much except sitting in the old main stand and taking in the vastness of the North Stand and terracing. It was great to get back to Hampden together as we came back up through the leagues.

I remember as a boy walking down from Castlemilk to watch Rangers Reserves play Queens Park Strollers in an evening game at Lesser Hampden around about 1970.

I spent the entire match spreadeagled on the roof of the Rangers dugout, looking down every now and then at this strange new Rangers coach, he was a mad man, his language was shocking, he caught my eye every now and then to tell me “I told to you to bolt”. This was my first glimpse of Jock Wallace.
Walked from Castlemilk many a time to Hampden. Semi- finals, Finals and plenty of Scotland games. All in the 1975-1982 timeframe.

My youngests first and only Rangers game was the Queens Park League game over the festive period in 2012.

So they going to be playing at lesser hampden.
Yes mate.

It should have happened years ago to be fair, but it’s the correct decision, they got a fair wedge of cash, and the national stadium can now be in perfect condition for the big games there.

10 times they've won it, though the last time was 1893.

They also got to the english FA Cup final twice.

It’s one of my favourite football trivia questions. To ask “which 2 none English teams have played in the FA cup final”. Cardiff comes easy, the other not so much.

Went to Queen's Park v Gretna in 2002/03 a 1st round Challenge Cup game which was Gretna 1st away game around 500 at the game on the Tuesday but it was surreal

While unlikely to happen it would be nice next season that Queen's Park's are able to stage a final game with fans inside

Walked from Castlemilk many a time to Hampden. Semi- finals, Finals and plenty of Scotland games. All in the 1975-1982 timeframe.

My youngests first and only Rangers game was the Queens Park League game over the festive period in 2012.

I lived for a short time in Castlemilk as a kid, before moving to the East End. I just swapped the number 22 bus to Hampden. lol

I’ve always been slightly fascinated with the thought of how big Queens Park could have been if they’d turned professional at the same time as everyone else in the 19th century.

Would they have remained the preeminent club in Scotland and would it have impacted on our support?

I’ve always been slightly fascinated with the thought of how big Queens Park could have been if they’d turned professional at the same time as everyone else in the 19th century.

Would they have remained the preeminent club in Scotland and would it have impacted on our support?
Outwith that lot with their inbuilt support, Rangers were the most popular other club at the time and from what I've read, not for the reasons that are usually and lazily stated.

We had an allure about us, we were the people's club, the Light Blues, an affectionate nickname bestowed on us in our early days due to our youthful speed and dash.

The notion that Queen's would have become the counterweight to the Parkhead club if they'd turned professional is just wishful thinking, and fostered by those with an inherent anti Rangers agenda.

Lesser Hampden is a much better venue for them.

This season BCD has come accross as soulless as far as I am concerned and that's what it's been like for QP for years.

Outwith that lot with their inbuilt support, Rangers were the most popular other club at the time and from what I've read, not for the reasons that are usually and lazily stated.

We had an allure about us, we were the people's club, the Light Blues, an affectionate nickname bestowed on us in our early days due to our youthful speed and dash.

The notion that Queen's would have become the counterweight to the Parkhead club if they'd turned professional is just wishful thinking, and fostered by those with an inherent anti Rangers agenda.
I think the nature of why the Beasts were set up with a clear strategy of attracting the catholic population was always going to see them sit apart from the rest of Scottish football and the largely Presbyterian people that followed it.

I think it’s also fair to say that our attraction would always have seen us rise to the top, particularly after we became seen as something of a counterweight to the Yahoo’s segregationism, but would Queens Park with their history and statute at the time have been able to outbid us for this player or that?

At the very least they could have ended up as Glasgow’s third club in a way that none of the other non Old Firm sides from the city ever did.

In August 1992 I watched Dumbarton play Rangers in a League Cup tie at Hampden with about 11,000 other people. Young people on this forum won't believe it was pay-at-the-door !!!!

It was ridiculous that this has continued for so long. I actually went along when the Medda was playing them in the Scottish Cup. Just felt weird.

Was mental that they owned it and didn't pay for anything. Got to ruin the pitch every year. Only country that would come up with something so stupid and backwards thinking for so called national stadium is Scotland. Well past the time they were moved out imo.

Back