Aitor Karanka - 40/1 down to 3/1 overnight

chadamson

I would absolutely love him to come to rangers. Was mourinhos assistant at Madrid for years, has incredible links, got boro (a side who were 18th of the championship) to the premier league in 2.5 years, had the best defence 2 seasons in a row. Would completely stabilise us at the back. His GK coach also managed to get Dimi (a terrible keeper who was at Hartlepool for years) 9 clean sheets in a row.

Anyone know how odds have dropped so much? Isnt in a job and going from yesterday whoever we are looking at is tied up in a contract

Need to take that with a pinch of salt. Look at the Big Eck/Ladbrokes situation the other day.

Possibly someone's put a few hundred quid on it and that makes the bookies drop like %^*&.

I'll be honest, stopped watching English football (regularly anyway) a few years ago so don't really know too much about him, heard good things right enough.

Wouldn't be for me. He started well at Boro and getting them to the Premier League was a good achievement but he threw the towel in far too easily once there imo.

Also recall he spat the dummy and almost walked out during their promotion season.

The odds mean nothing. I'd need a lot more evidence than that.

He's only ever managed one club, which is not everything but it's a consideration.

Wouldn't be for me. He started well at Boro and getting them to the Premier League was a good achievement but he threw the towel in far too easily once there imo.

Also recall he spat the dummy and almost walked out during their promotion season.

I have a season ticket there. You obviously don't know the reasoning behind it. The club failed to back him, he kicked off, came back, then went undefeated for 13 or so games and winning the first 6 when he came back. He also broke numerous records and won at numerous grounds boro hadn't won at for decades.

Need to take that with a pinch of salt. Look at the Big Eck/Ladbrokes situation the other day.

Possibly someone's put a few hundred quid on it and that makes the bookies drop like %^*&.

I'll be honest, stopped watching English football (regularly anyway) a few years ago so don't really know too much about him, heard good things right enough.

Why would anyone put a big enough sum of money on him at 40/1 without thinking something?

It’s more likely the bookies trying to encourage more bets, you’ll find they introduce a name into the frame like that when it becomes more apparent that one name has the job.

If McInnes’ odds had drifted out slightly then there might’ve been some truth in it, but they never.

He is a better manager than McInnes no question about it. Played in bigger games and has the pull to bring in bigger and better players.

I would absolutely love him to come to rangers. Was mourinhos assistant at Madrid for years, has incredible links, got boro (a side who were 18th of the championship) to the premier league in 2.5 years, had the best defence 2 seasons in a row. Would completely stabilise us at the back. His GK coach also managed to get Dimi (a terrible keeper who was at Hartlepool for years) 9 clean sheets in a row.

Anyone know how odds have dropped so much? Isnt in a job and going from yesterday whoever we are looking at is tied up in a contract

Seeing this quite a bit on here. It is NOT what was said at the AGM.

I have a season ticket there. You obviously don't know the reasoning behind it. The club failed to back him, he kicked off, came back, then went undefeated for 13 or so games and winning the first 6 when he came back. He also broke numerous records and won at numerous grounds boro hadn't won at for decades.

Fair enough, my old man is a Boro fan (doesn't go to any games certainly), I just remember it all seemed quite farcical at the time.

Why would anyone put a big enough sum of money on him at 40/1 without thinking something?

It likely happened with Big Eck before he came out and said it was rubbish, rumours fly, that's the world we live in now.

For what it's worth I can't see Aitor Karanka being the next Rangers manager. It's too risky.

You mention that he kicked off and left only to come back? Do we want a throw the toys out the pram right away guy like Waburton again?

In 2016–17, Karanka led Middlesbrough to the last eight of the FA Cup, where they were eliminated by Manchester City. He was sacked on 16 March 2017, with the team three points from top-flight safety and without a league win in the new year; while their defence was the fifth-best in the division, their attack was the worst with just 19 goals from 27 games, and he had disagreements with players, fans and the board;[26] club and manager parted ways by mutual consent, as the latter believed he could take the team no further.[27]

That doesn't make good reading either ... If he's having fall-outs with the Middlesborough fans then he might find us a bit too intimidating.

Fair enough, my old man is a Boro fan (doesn't go to any games certainly), I just remember it all seemed quite farcical at the time.
So is my dad. His dad was as well but moved to Darlington so that's how I support boro as well haha. It was a mess, but the whole club was a mess and he clearly had enough. And what he did worked, wouldn't have got promoted if that didn't happen. Lost to 2 teams in relegation zone, he came back and we didn't lose until our 4th/5th game in the prem which was 14/15 games after Charlton.

One semi decent sized bet will be all it takes for odds to tumble like crazy.

I doubt very much that he is the kind of manager about whom King alluded at the AGM

he would have been offered it before now. Their preference was to pick up an out of work manager with no compensation. The guy they want is already at a club, hence the delay.

People really under estimate him. He brought players like Victor fkn Valdes and Negredo to boro. Shitty little boro.

It’s more likely the bookies trying to encourage more bets, you’ll find they introduce a name into the frame like that when it becomes more apparent that one name has the job.

If McInnes’ odds had drifted out slightly then there might’ve been some truth in it, but they never.

Exactly. Next manager markets must be the most profitable for the bookies in terms of how much they have to pay out as a percentage of total bets.

Where else could you have 5 or 6 odds on selections for one event?

Ah, the the manager who couldn’t handle the pressure at a nothing club like Middlesbrough and legged it after a wee tiff with the players.

He wouldn’t last a month in Glasgow, I would steer well clear.

A few years ago I just happened to catch a Middlesboro game on TV .
First thing that caught my eye was their team shape and their speed going forward. Obviously a team who had been well managed/ coached.
I googled their manager and it was yer man.

Makes sense really when you see his background and that The Middlesboro owner is a very shrewd football man.

I think he would be a great addition .
He’s quite capable of whipping that smile of Brendan’s face.

Ah, the the manager who couldn’t handle the pressure at a nothing club like Middlesbrough and legged it after a wee tiff with the players.

He wouldn’t last a month in Glasgow, I would steer well clear.

Nothing club that is probably richer than the entire spl put together lolol

A few years ago I just happened to catch a Middlesboro game on TV .
First thing that caught my eye was their team shape and their speed going forward. Obviously a team who had been well managed/ coached.
I googled their manager and it was yer man.

Makes sense really when you see his background and that The Middlesboro owner is a very shrewd football man.

I think he would be a great addition .
He’s quite capable of whipping that smile of Brendan’s face.

Well coached yes but speed no. Had no speed until the premier league season. One of the reasons karanka left was due to the idiots on the board not getting any of his targets or anyone with pace or flair.

Assistant manager at Real Madrid and getting a club in the shit because of Gordon Strachan to the premier league shows he must have a pretty good mentally. A lot better than mcinnes anyway

I'm sure he walked out a few times not really mentally strong for the shit storm up here if he was walking out at Middlesbrough.

I'm sure he walked out a few times not really mentally strong for the shit storm up here if he was walking out at Middlesbrough.
Again, you don't understand the circumstance. He was proven right and it worked when he kicked off. Without that we wouldn't have been promoted. When in the championship boro beat man utd, man city and took Liverpool to penalties in the cup. Always did well against bigger sides.

People really under estimate him. He brought players like Victor fkn Valdes and Negredo to boro. Shitty little boro.

Bryan Robson brought Ravanelli, Juninho and Emerson, doesn’t make him a great manager. (As an aside, funny how they all later ended up having less than spectacular careers in Scotland)

Bryan Robson brought Ravanelli, Juninho and Emerson, doesn’t make him a great manager. (As an aside, funny how they all later ended up having less than spectacular careers in Scotland)

All after injuries. Irrelevant when they went to Scotland.

Dunno how nobody thinks 18th in the championship to premier league in 2 and half years with some dogshit players isn't enough to say youre a good manager hahah

Wasn't there something happened with him, some sort of row and he threw his toys out of the pram there? Didn't manage a match or something then came back? Can't mind exactly.

Here we go again. Another Day. Another Name. Where his name popped up is anyones guess. For all their faults,and there's many, I'm sure the board has a Short List of candidates and I doubt he's on it. Then again................................

Here we go again. Another Day. Another Name. Where his name popped up is anyones guess. For all their faults,and there's many, I'm sure the board has a Short List of candidates and I doubt he's on it. Then again................................

McCoist said on talksport Karanka had a chance. Not sure how he would know right enough.

He is clearly a cut above Del Boy.

It might just be the good ship BS but I'm onboard.

He's not even quoted on William Hill:

Next Permanent Rangers Manager
4/9
Derek McInnes
5/2
Alex McLeish
7/1
Graham Murty
9/1
Slaven Bilic
14/1
Tommy Wright