Ajax v Real Madrid

Cracking finish that. The VAR delay probably stopped him getting booked as well.

Yep, and he would have been off!

I was frantically trying to put £1 on him to go, but the ref missed that one. You could argue, a clear and obvious error!

Clear and obvious error is the exact wording FIFA use in their VAR guide.
Cheers, must have been clear and obvious to the VAR team when they seen the replay.
To be honest I thought it should have stood until I seen the replay as well, frustrating for fans at the game...

Right. Putting aside VAR here. This has actually been a cracking game.

Really enjoyed this. Ajax have played some lovely stuff for such a young side.

Cheers, must have been clear and obvious to the VAR team when they seen the replay.
To be honest I thought it should have stood until I seen the replay as well, frustrating for fans at the game...

That’s the point, it wasn’t clear and obvious. If it’s clear and obvious, it doesn’t take 3 minutes to decide. There’s times in Italy where it’s clear and obvious and cleared up in less than a minute. 2 penalties were given in a French game tonight with St Etienne, both were rescinded within 60 seconds.

If it takes over 3 minutes to make a decision then it isnt a clear and obvious error in the first place.

There should be a time/incident replay limit on it and if you havent decided by then the original decision stands because it wasnt an obvious error.

The other problem with VAR is its subjective so its still just someones opinion on which decisions get reviewed.

FFS. The blonde lassie has to score there.

Really unlucky from Ajax. 1-2 into the Bernabéu isn’t game over though.

If the second leg is as good as this it’ll be another good watch.

Dolberg is a fuckin donkey. Brought on when ajax need a goal, makes some great runs but has two gilt edged chances and absolutely shanks the pair of them.

Ajax played well but..
Madrid won that without looking even remotely interested.

Excellent game of football enjoyed it, Ajax gave it everything their effort was superb and so one was some of their 1 touch stuff... draw would have been the right result but winning away from home when the opposition play well is the sign of a top class side. Dont see the 2nd game being as good but if the Dutch get a goal never know.

Excellent game of football enjoyed it, Ajax gave it everything their effort was superb and so one was some of their 1 touch stuff... draw would have been the right result but winning away from home when the opposition play well is the sign of a top class side. Dont see the 2nd game being as good but if the Dutch get a goal never know.
Not a fan of Madrid at all. Thought Ajax were excellent but lacked the killer touch a few times. Would love them to get through but can’t see it now

Was the Ajax goal called back because the player close to Cortios was offside or because the goal scorer was in an offside position when the ball was played in?

It’s not the intended purpose. It’s being used inconsistently. That’s a massive issue. It’s not a level playing field if referees pick and choose when they can use it.
It’s not the ref who calls for the use VAR. They have a team of officials somewhere in the stadium watching monitors of every angle available to them who recommend the ref take a look at it. The ref has the choice to listen to them or ignore them

Bit

And it looks like it was given for interfering with the keeper, not offside.

Shite decision
Having seen it back many times, I am still a bit torn. On first inspection, it seems incredibly harsh. By the absolute letter of the law, it is probably just about right but still appears harsh.

Some of the shite that’s went Madrid’s way in recent years has been farcical. Getting it wildly wrong in VAR has taken it to new depths.

It’s not the ref who calls for the use VAR. They have a team of officials somewhere in the stadium watching monitors of every angle available to them who recommend the ref take a look at it. The ref has the choice to listen to them or ignore them

I know that’s how it works. The other people administering the VAR are also referees. Hence my point.

Having seen it back many times, I am still a bit torn. On first inspection, it seems incredibly harsh. By the absolute letter of the law, it is probably just about right but still appears harsh.
Watching it on the highlights again and, although I hate to say it, it was right to rule it out.

He's offside and he is interfering with the keeper.

Watching it on the highlights again and, although I hate to say it, it was right to rule it out.

He's offside and he is interfering with the keeper.
I know, a close decision and ultimately right but as an Ajax fan you would be going away agrieved (despite it actually being correct). Real didn’t appeal either, which made it harder to take but just about right. Hopefully they eventually refine VAR to eventually make it smoother.

Back