Alania Vladikavkaz 2-7 Rangers

I thought they were a handy looking side in the first leg and we were a bit fortunate.

I expected a really tough 2nd leg.

I was playing that night and my mate was giving me updates from the touchline.
I genuinely thought he was winding me up.

Did any bears go?

It's on my bucket list of a tour from Astrakhan to krasnodar, via Grozny and Vladikavkaz.

I thought they were a handy looking side in the first leg and we were a bit fortunate.

I expected a really tough 2nd leg.

I was playing that night and my mate was giving me updates from the touchline.
I genuinely thought he was winding me up.
Strangely just came on to post similar. Was an early kick off and I gad training with the school team during it. Couldn't believe when my dad picked me up and told me the score

5pm UK time kick-off

Only on radio with highlights later on STV

Sure this the game that Ian Archer was that drunk he fell asleep at the game and someone supplied the match report for him?
STV 6pm bulletin showed first few goals while radio still playing 2nd half.

Great night.

Remember rushing home from school that afternoon to listen to it. Just as I arrived home my next door neighbour let out a huge roar as we scored. Shouted up to him and it took a good minute for me to comprehend we were winning 4-2 on the night, and not on aggregate. Crazy game.

Yes some did go
3 guys off the Stewarton bus went, brilliant stories of their trip I heard from them.

If memory serves there were around 50 that made it

Just found this article , interesting reading

3 guys off the Stewarton bus went, brilliant stories of their trip I heard from them.

If memory serves there were around 50 that made it

Just found this article , interesting reading

Yeah around 40-50 made the trip from memory

Yeah around 40-50 made the trip from memory
Would’ve loved to have done that one
To me those unusual locations are the unique trips, wish I’d done Ufa & Alashkert

Skopje, Podgorica , Moscow , tel aviv, molde all a wee bit different / glad I managed to do those especially now when Israel and Russia ruled out for the foreseeable

On seeing the thread I initially thought it was the odds on us signing some Eastern European striker I had never heard of…:cool:

I remember they’d played Liverpool in the uefa cup the year before and gave them a run for their money. When they played Liverpool they were called Spartak Vladikavkaz. Anyone know why the reason they were called Alania Vladikavkaz when we played them?

Did any bears go?

It's on my bucket list of a tour from Astrakhan to krasnodar, via Grozny and Vladikavkaz.
I was there

Unbelievably it was my first Rangers away game in Europe. I was 19 at the time.
I'd just been given a contract to move to Tokyo that September with BP so thought %^*& it.... this'll be the last time I'll see Rangers live for a while (my next away europe game was Graz in 2000)

There were 4 of us in the travelling group that went, 2 older guys I'd never even met before.

We went london to Turkey, Turkey to Tblisi then by bus from Tblisi to Vladikavkaz

Last edited:
I remember they’d played Liverpool in the uefa cup the year before and gave them a run for their money. When they played Liverpool they were called Spartak Vladikavkaz. Anyone know why the reason they were called Alania Vladikavkaz when we played them?
They seem to have switched from Alania and Spartak several times. No idea why though.

I was there

Unbelievably it was my first Rangers away game in Europe. I was 19 at the time.
I'd just been given a contract to move to Tokyo that September with BP so thought %^*& it.... this'll be the last time I'll see Rangers live for a while (my next away europe game was Graz in 2000)

There were 4 of us in the travelling group that went, 2 older guys I'd never even met before.

We went london to Turkey, Turkey to Tblisi then by bus from Tblisi to Vladikavkaz
Brilliant , that must’ve been some bus trip!

How long did the journey take? / how long were you away for?

Did you need a visa for Georgia as well?

I mind Gerry McNee saying they were the worst Russian Chanpions ever.

Oh really Gerry? Who was the 2nd worst then?
That wasn’t untypical of that scumbag though.
Even more quntish though was Spiers’ comment that “the first thing you’ve got to say is how bad the Russian side were.”
He’d never have said that about Celtic.
It wasn’t the first thing that had to be said.
What would have been wrong with “a great result for Rangers, and Scottish football, but it has to be tempered with the fact that the Russian team were poor.”?

My first thought, when we were drawn against this side was how close Vladikaslav was to Japan and how much they’d be spending going to Moscow etc each week!

This popped up on YouTube earlier. IIRC it was only on the radio and then the full game shown later on that night? 17 min hattrick from Super getting the job done early.

I was at the home game ..I thought back then that their were a really good side .. Russian champions .. I mean they had to be a quality side .. when McInnes scored it wasn’t enough for me.. I thought that we would need at least another 2 goals to have a realistic chance for making it to the group stages .. second leg I was in Holland so I phoned my Dad for the result and couldn’t believe it .. that was a massive European result which never got the recognition it deserved

Had a look at where their players went after playing us. 1 to Roma, 2 to City, 1 to Frankfurt and Yanovsky went to PSG in 1998

This popped up on YouTube earlier. IIRC it was only on the radio and then the full game shown later on that night? 17 min hattrick from Super getting the job done early.

Yeah, listened to it on the radio in the Hayburn in Partick. Different times!

Back