Alex Gogic On His Dad, Rangers, Ibrox And Love Of Gazza

The block towards the end was unbelievable. The ground he covered to get back was sheer grit.

He bullied us today. Something we lack, we need to at least win the battle and be up for the fight against the shite teams. The quality should then prevail.

A lot worse players in the league than Gogic.

The block towards the end was unbelievable. The ground he covered to get back was sheer grit.

He bullied us today. Something we lack, we need to at least win the battle and be up for the fight against the shite teams. The quality should then prevail.

Think he's a decent player, would do well moving to Hearts/Aberdeen but isnt good enough for Rangers. Kind of guy that shines when his team is under the cosh a lot, but maybe wouldnt be confident enough to be spending most of the game playing in a high line pinging forward passes.

He reminds me a lot of a John Brown type of player...hard as nails and would never lose a physical battle but a fair amount of skill in there that's often lost because he's labelled as nothing more than a "hard man!"
As I mentioned before, we really could do with a skilled "hard man" in our team right now!
My thoughts exactly today. I remember being a bit underwhelmed by the singing of bomber but Walter knew what he was doing. There’s a place in any side for a player that plays with his heart as long as he has a bit of knowledge. Bomber was surrounded with skilful players and he had their back.

Think he's a decent player, would do well moving to Hearts/Aberdeen but isnt good enough for Rangers. Kind of guy that shines when his team is under the cosh a lot, but maybe wouldnt be confident enough to be spending most of the game playing in a high line pinging forward passes.

I think I agree, but the snobbery we seem to have as a club about signing SPL players and giving them a chance in favour of foreign duds makes me wonder.

Reactions: JCL
He is a stereotypical Scottish Premiership Hammer Thrower.

He is out of contract in the summer, could be a useful tool in the armoury, play him in the Old Firm to wipe out Maeda with a bone crunching challenge.

We could do with a “hammer thrower” or two.

Not that I’m saying Gogic is the answer.

Don't pay an awful lot of attention to St Mirren but, if he's turning in performances most weeks, like he did today, I'd love him at Rangers. Easily the best on the park today.

Anytime I’ve watched a game he’s played in, he usually stands out for one reason or another. Usually for getting stuck in, but I don’t think he’s feart to get forward as well.

As mentioned earlier, we need a lot of players potentially next year and CB is one where we are particularly weak. Not saying he would be an improvement on what we have, but he’d be more than good enough to replace someone like Soutar (who isn’t good enough either).

I’d take him on a free tbh. Low wage, low risk signing.

Easily better than Davies and a different type of CB to what we have currently. He’s also got a bit of pace about him too. I think Goldson needs someone with some pace beside him, it’s why he and Bassey worked so well.

This is the kind of signing we would have made back in the old days. Nowadays people snub their noses at it.

Bomber, Petric, Zurab, Hurlock. They would all have had a similar response in todays world when we showed an interest in them.

Hibs put him out on loan to St Mirren 18 months ago then released him.

Hibs bought him from Hamilton, he’s now 30 years of age.

He had a good game today, nothing more.

My thoughts exactly today. I remember being a bit underwhelmed by the singing of bomber but Walter knew what he was doing. There’s a place in any side for a player that plays with his heart as long as he has a bit of knowledge. Bomber was surrounded with skilful players and he had their back.

Unless I've misunderstood your post, it was Souness who signed John Brown.

He has improved a ton since being moved to CH from CM.

Not sure how he would fare as a CH in a back 4 though.

Reminds me a bit of John Brown…..and the saying Hard Work Beats Talent!

Are people being serious with their suggestions here?

I think they probably are and would say that to me he would be the exact same as signing Marvin Andrews at the time when we did, is he blessed with incredible skill? no he's not but you will be getting 100% every single time he played.

In this day and age I would take that in some of our SPL games.

There is one thing , our defenders could certainly take on board his commitment, physicality & aggression and when needed take the guy out if that what it takes for the good of the team / collect the yellow
Far too many goals we’ve conceded, our defenders been far too nice , should’ve just fouled and took the booking to break up the attack / killed the momentum

I know him and his family well, out of contract at end of season and has told Saints he will weigh up options......so much so that Hearts placed a deal on the table for him already.

He'd literally walk to Ibrox (from his home in Motherwell) if he thought he could even be a squad player for us as his full family settled here.

Is he good enough for us, even as a squad player - even as a friend I'd suggest not as we need to aim higher if we want to progress.

One thing I will say though, which others have also mentioned - a month of contract left and he runs thru a brick wall for Saints every single week.........take note some of our players !!!!!

Isn't it great to read a clean story like that instead of the usual sh*t from the East end propaganda?

I know him and his family well, out of contract at end of season and has told Saints he will weigh up options......so much so that Hearts placed a deal on the table for him already.

He'd literally walk to Ibrox (from his home in Motherwell) if he thought he could even be a squad player for us as his full family settled here.

Is he good enough for us, even as a squad player - even as a friend I'd suggest not as we need to aim higher if we want to progress.

One thing I will say though, which others have also mentioned - a month of contract left and he runs thru a brick wall for Saints every single week.........take note some of our players !!!!!
He was excellent today. Best I’ve seen him play tbh. Can’t believe he’s only 29 he genuinely looks late 30’s :))

Even after what happened to Ryan Jack and especially Alfie, who barely had a card to his name before coming to Ibrox, the refs would be in competition to issue red after red to Gogic if he wore a Rangers shirt.

Hibs put him out on loan to St Mirren 18 months ago then released him.

Hibs bought him from Hamilton, he’s now 30 years of age.

He had a good game today, nothing more.
He now plays for a better team than Hibs.

What does their poor judgement of a player have to do with his ability?

For those saying we should sign him.

Just remember that if he were to do that block he did on Silva in the first half whilst wearing a Rangers shirt, he wouldnt have got away with it. In fact he wouldnt get away with anything.

He's a Walter Smith type signing, we're far too snobby and dismissive of SPFL players, he was MOTM today for me.
I don't think he in particular is a good enough player for us, but I would like to see the kind of players Walter would have signed more.

He's a decent, hardworking SPFL player, I'd probably prefer him as a squad player than a Ben Davies who's on a massive wage and is rarely available.
Big Phill would have seen his performance yesterday so who knows?

Fucking hell are folk on drugs, Gogic is a thug and would have football stopped if there was too many of his type.
I'm guessing the Gogic fans got excited at the rumours Gio wanted Cammy Devlin
Every team needs a thug
Souness was a thug
Roy Keane was a thug
Terry Hurlock was a thug
Alex Rae was a thug
Wee Barry was a thug
Scott Brown wished he was a thug
Difference is all those thugs weren't terrible players, Gogic is
His passion is admirable if not surprising given his Serbian heritage

The block at the end says everything about him, hates losing and never gives up
All teams need a player who hates losing
Would Goldson or Tav have busted a nut to get back and make that block , no chance !
I've never seen Tav have 1/4 of the passion that man showed today

If he was a free signing on 3-5k a week, why not take a punt?
I have no idea what players at his level earn, so if that's wildly out, I already accept I don't know what I'm talking about (without anyone needing to highlight it).

But it's 30k a week less than we're paying Davies to add nothing.

His performance and attitude yesterday put us to shame.

We’ve got players who fall over and stay on their arse when the balls still in play. His head would’ve already been on winning the next ball. We need more players with his attitude and desire to win.

I'd take him as a squad player tbh.

He looks like a hard but fair type player, he certainly wasn’t malicious in any of his challenges yesterday, although he looks like he can wind someone up if he wanted to, and he has decent pace and real determination.

He would also be useful for highlighting bias against us in the press, with "I would never have been booked/sent of for that challenge playing for St Mirren, Rangers players are refereed to a different standard" type statements*

*not the sole reason to emply him obviously.

Back