Alex Lowry getting runner up medal

Colinstein69

The camera didn’t linger on him for long but after young Alex got his medal presented to him he looked as though he couldn’t get it off his neck quick enough.

Suggests to me this wee man is a winner and didn’t want some runner up shite burning his neck. Or maybe he felt that it wasn’t earned as he didn’t play. Either way it suggests he has exactly the type of character that we need.

Anyone at the game notice this?

Personally, I love when players get a losers medal off asap.
Who wants a medal reminding them they’ve lost something?

The picture of Tav walking past that trophy will stick with me forever, but what a fucking run those boys gave us, some incredible memories.

He’s a winner and he’s going to lead this team in years to come
If you can’t see what he has you probably don’t understand football
Watch this space he’s going to the very top

This just isn’t true though. A team from Scotland coming second in the whole Europa league is a pretty big achievement.

Are you saying Olympic silver medalists should just chuck their medals too?
John Greig chucked his across the dressing room, never to be seen by him again.

I’m not saying they should Chuck their medals, I’m saying they shouldn’t accept them. There’s a difference. Taking a runners up medal and being happy with it is the epitome of mediocrity. Taking a runners up medal and using it as a tool for motivation To get a winners medal is the way to go.

Young Lowry will use it as a tool to get a winners medal, not get one and be happy with it.

Even young Leon King, boy from the scheme in Pollok, raging he got a runners up medal but he’s keeping it to use as a motivation to go one better next time.

Rangers coming Runners up is a major achievement, but it’s not winning it and the club will surely use it as motivation to go one better, rather than accepting the second place and being happy with it.

Last edited:
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser" - Vince Lombardi, 1960's (NFL all time great coach )

Actually thought this was something that Souness quoted, but not sure, this is the attitude required at Rangers, not one of just being happy to be there.
Total rubbish.
The real article accepts both as the same. Everyone loses sometimes. It’s how you handle it is what counts. You think chucking the dummy makes you a winner somehow?

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser" - Vince Lombardi, 1960's (NFL all time great coach )

Actually thought this was something that Souness quoted, but not sure, this is the attitude required at Rangers, not one of just being happy to be there.
I'm sure Souness threw a runners up medal in the bin at Rangers. Someone will post the story.

The camera didn’t linger on him for long but after young Alex got his medal presented to him he looked as though he couldn’t get it off his neck quick enough.

Suggests to me this wee man is a winner and didn’t want some runner up shite burning his neck. Or maybe he felt that it wasn’t earned as he didn’t play. Either way it suggests he has exactly the type of character that we need.

I sometimes think about things like this in football.

Plenty of players join a club in January and play 10 games and full scale celebrate a league win etc

Surely you would feel like you haven't really earned that and it would be a bit pish?

Personally, I love when players get a losers medal off asap.
Who wants a medal reminding them they’ve lost something?

The picture of Tav walking past that trophy will stick with me forever, but what a fucking run those boys gave us, some incredible memories.

No they should wear it proudly, as you said what a run they gave us and what memories they made!

This was a European Final there are literally thousands of players who have not and even more in the future will never win a medal more so in Europe but domestic too! No shame in reaching a medal position at all!

I know you often see fancy flicks and skills from players at half time or warming up etc but Lowry twice done some we flick move with the ball at half time that baffled me. Was so impressive to wrong foot the guys he was passing between twice. He just looks an absolute baller to me with balls the size of King Kong.

I really do suspect in 5-6 months we may all be looking back at the final in Seville and wondering what if the wee man got 20 minutes in the extra time period when the game got unbelievably stretched.

I get the sentiment but I think it's become a fashionable thing to do for players in recent years years.

Calling it a losers medal diminishes what our players achieved.

I'll bet the players have also kept them and in future they'll appreciate what they actually done

I get the sentiment but I think it's become a fashionable thing to do for players in recent years years.

Calling it a losers medal diminishes what our players achieved.

I'll bet the players have also kept them and in future they'll appreciate what they actually done

I know you often see fancy flicks and skills from players at half time or warming up etc but Lowry twice done some we flick move with the ball at half time that baffled me. Was so impressive to wrong foot the guys he was passing between twice. He just looks an absolute baller to me with balls the size of King Kong.

I really do suspect in 5-6 months we may all be looking back at the final in Seville and wondering what if the wee man got 20 minutes in the extra time period when the game got unbelievably stretched.

Good old FF, we had a thread yesterday from someone raging about it.

Now today we've got someone praising him for it.
AcademicOptimisticAxolotl-max-1mb.gif

That sums up the perennial loser mentality that's crept in to some of our fans. Imagine if the magnificent b"stard had had that same mentality!

This just isn’t true though. A team from Scotland coming second in the whole Europa league is a pretty big achievement.

Are you saying Olympic silver medalists should just chuck their medals too?
Alot of Olympians are competing individually slightly different plus the young man never contributed so maybe thought he didn't deserve it.
I hope that it was a wee bit of that and tge fact it wasn't the winning medal!

I remember Souness saying that & I have quoted it many times over the years!

Suggests pissed off he never got on

Back