Alfie Interview - Sky

Thanks for posting, was a good interview, not often we get to hear his thoughts and mindset, we usually just get mainstream media assumptions he’s not happy all the time.

Its good Gil speaks Spanish and we have a World Class striker coaching the forwards, surprised they didn’t asking him about working with Roy.

i don’t understand those stat wheels but it would be interesting to see his goal/attempt ratio. To my eyes, it’s not high enough for him to be an elite striker but i’d like to be proved wrong by the stats

Its good Gil speaks Spanish and we have a World Class striker coaching the forwards, surprised they didn’t asking him about working with Roy.
Sky have their own agenda, him being happy about working with Maakay isn’t a headline. Probably hoping for “I’ll go elsewhere at some point”. I’m hoping for something on RTV about how training goes with and Roy.

Love El Buffalo

couldn’t be arsed sitting through 4 minutes of subtitles, what’s the the main points if anyone can be bothered explaining?

i don’t understand those stat wheels but it would be interesting to see his goal/attempt ratio. To my eyes, it’s not high enough for him to be an elite striker but i’d like to be proved wrong by the stats

The outside of the "wheel" is the top of the statistics for that particular category with the middle being zero. The coloured bits in the middle show where they player falls in that category. So for example his headed goals are amongst the highest of those in the comparison data, where as his attempts at taking players on is amongst the lowest.

His ratio will be a lot higher than Moratta or Werner, for example, 2 elite strikers on 10 times the wage Alfie will be on. His goals to chances ratio in Europe will be up there with the best in the world tbh. He's consistently proven to be pretty lethal in that arena. The league stats would be much lower I'd imagine. That's more to do with how teams defend against us, defending deeper, getting blocks in etc, which skews the results. I'd be delighted if he stayed, he'd be extremely difficult to replace on a shoestring budget.

His ratio will be a lot higher than Moratta or Werner, for example, 2 elite strikers on 10 times the wage Alfie will be on. His goals to chances ratio in Europe will be up there with the best in the world tbh. He's consistently proven to be pretty lethal in that arena. The league stats would be much lower I'd imagine. That's more to do with how teams defend against us, defending deeper, getting blocks in etc, which skews the results. I'd be delighted if he stayed, he'd be extremely difficult to replace on a shoestring budget.
i don’t get the domestic point. i’m talking about goals vs legitimate chances. He doesn’t take enough of them, especially against that quality of opposition. I accept his game is about more than that, but as a finisher he’s not the best.

The outside of the "wheel" is the top of the statistics for that particular category with the middle being zero. The coloured bits in the middle show where they player falls in that category. So for example his headed goals are amongst the highest of those in the comparison data, where as his attempts at taking players on is amongst the lowest.
There’s no stat here for chance conversion though? I’d be interested to see it

i don’t get the domestic point. i’m talking about goals vs legitimate chances. He doesn’t take enough of them, especially against that quality of opposition. I accept his game is about more than that, but as a finisher he’s not the best.

I think he means quality of chance.

Due to the nature of how teams defend v us, a lot of Alfies efforts are not clear goalscoring chances, where as better players in better quality, more competitive leagues make find themself getting clearer chances on goal, hence a higher conversion percentage.

I'm saying the domestic chances tend to be less easy/clear cut due to the style of defending we generally face. Blocks, restricted to distance shots (which he isn't the best at), etc which would naturally lower stats. It'd be much more interesting to me to compare his goals to chances to McCoist or Boyd for example. Ally in particular missed bucketloads of chances that sometimes looked easier to score but whenever truly needed in tight or important games he'd stick his, and our, only chance of that game away and win the points/trophies. He was the best striker we've ever had for the reason above imo but his goals to chances ratio must've looked absolutely chronic over a season at times. It's about perspective and what they bring as a complete package, not where one particular area sits on a graph.

If you're asking if Morelos is as clinical a finisher as Defoe, for example, then the answer is obviously no, not even close in terms of sheer composure. Very few are. However, if you were to ask if Defoe was as good in the air, or at running the channels or holding off defenders with his back to goal etc as Morelos then the answer to that would be an equally emphatic no. If Morelos had Defoe's composure on top of all of his other strengths then we would never have had the privilege of watching him play here. He scores at a healthy enough rate for me. Long may he do so.

Sky have their own agenda, him being happy about working with Maakay isn’t a headline. Probably hoping for “I’ll go elsewhere at some point”. I’m hoping for something on RTV about how training goes with and Roy.

Love El Buffalo
To be fair the interview has been shown on SKY several times this morning and they are going with Alfie saying he is happy and settled.

I'm saying the domestic chances tend to be less easy/clear cut due to the style of defending we generally face. Blocks, restricted to distance shots (which he isn't the best at), etc which would naturally lower stats. It'd be much more interesting to me to compare his goals to chances to McCoist or Boyd for example. Ally in particular missed bucketloads of chances that sometimes looked easier to score but whenever truly needed in tight or important games he'd stick his, and our, only chance of that game away and win the points/trophies. He was the best striker we've ever had for the reason above imo but his goals to chances ratio must've looked absolutely chronic over a season at times. It's about perspective and what they bring as a complete package, not where one particular area sits on a graph.

If you're asking if Morelos is as clinical a finisher as Defoe, for example, then the answer is obviously no, not even close in terms of sheer composure. Very few are. However, if you were to ask if Defoe was as good in the air, or at running the channels or holding off defenders with his back to goal etc as Morelos then the answer to that would be an equally emphatic no. If Morelos had Defoe's composure on top of all of his other strengths then we would never have had the privilege of watching him play here. He scores at a healthy enough rate for me. Long may he do so.
every conversation about Alfie turns into this kind of defensive stuff. I would just like to see that stat, because it’s not in the stats added to the Sky story. As i said, i would like to be proved wrong but the eye test says his finishing is probably why he’s still here

If love him to sign a new deal but unfortunately don't think he will.

So it looks like he'll need to be sold in the summer alongside Kent and Aribo (I can't see them signing new deals either).

If he leaves it won't be to a team that will give him CL Stage football. He has all the motivation he needs at Ibrox in the short term at least.

All the present players have the opportunity to play in the Champions League without qualifying ties and as you say should be the biggest incentive right there.

For a lot of the players they wont get the chance again.

A poster who has a mutual friend with Alfie has said he’s verbally agreed a new deal and it’ll be signed in due course.

So you never know!
That would be incredible but can't see it, hope I'm wrong. To be fair though, his comments in that interview about rangers and his life in Scotland are the most positive and settled I've ever heard from him.

if player DVDs were still a thing

Morelos would get his own DVD

The wee nutcase has infuriated me and given me moments of pure joy in equal measures

I f*cking love him

I know you will find that hard to believe @Grigo Yossarian but I do :))

Funny.

He can be infuriating Hammer, I totally get that.

All I was saying to you recently when we chatted was that unfortunately even an off form Morelos, as he was, is still our best striker in terms of the impact on the team as a whole.

Delighted to see him back at close to his best. I’m sure we’re all agreed on that mate.

every conversation about Alfie turns into this kind of defensive stuff. I would just like to see that stat, because it’s not in the stats added to the Sky story. As i said, i would like to be proved wrong but the eye test says his finishing is probably why he’s still here
That's not being defensive of him, it's me giving my honest opinion. There have been plenty times I've criticised him myself. For example, you could generally tell if it was going to be a good day or bad day within the first 5 minutes of a game with Alfie. Start poorly and he tended to miss every chance that came his way that day and nothing worked for him. Start well, he could be almost unplayable and take his chances with ease. That's changed slightly over the seasons tbf to him. It's the same with his shooting. Some days it's as if his shoes are on the wrong feet, others he fires in some unbelievable finishes from all sorts of angles, like his last one against them after megging Brown. His ratio will be higher than you clearly think it is. Hope you find it.

You might be right, bud, but I’d bet McCoist’s wouldn’t be much higher.

Edit: not sure we’ll have had a harder working striker than McCoist though.

Last edited:
Funny.

He can be infuriating Hammer, I totally get that.

All I was saying to you recently when we chatted was that unfortunately even an off form Morelos, as he was, is still our best striker in terms of the impact on the team as a whole.

Delighted to see him back at close to his best. I’m sure we’re all agreed on that mate.

Absolutely

Good interview, came across as very content and focused. I think he sees the read across to being successful with us, being showcased in European competition and playing for Colombia at the WC.

Obv not great for next 3 games (!) but means he has a few goals to target

Back