Alfie to take pens?

Tav looks a wee bit short of confidence on them but am not sure about handing them to Alfie. Magnificent as he is for us sometimes he doesn’t get the cleanest of connections on his strikes. What about Jack? He strikes the ball cleanly, crisply & accurately - might be worth a shot.

Tav hasn’t been playing well, so confidence must now be low. Time for Morelos to take over the duties
Isn't it strange how we view things differently? t think Tav never allowed the miss to affect him last night. He drove at them constantly. Also against Livi his attitude and play were excellent and for me he was MOTM.

Tav looks a wee bit short of confidence on them but am not sure about handing them to Alfie. Magnificent as he is for us sometimes he doesn’t get the cleanest of connections on his strikes. What about Jack? He strikes the ball cleanly, crisply & accurately - might be worth a shot.

Did you see that “ shot” of his last night , he isn’t the cleanest of strikers of a ball he is a bit of a scuffer.

Was an excellent penalty taker.

He's totally shot of confidence in them now. That was a Mcstay of a spot kick last night
There isnt many players that will have a penalty record as good as his, everyone misses some. Theres a reason hes the penalty taker and that's because hes the best we have . Look at all the ones hes scored , the keeper rarely gets anywhere near them

No idea why Jack would be in with a shout :D

What would Alfie’s tally have been last season if he hit them with the same success rate as Tav?

I like Tav taking them as I feel that a captain should take responsibility and until recently he had an excellent record but he was taking them in the championship and times change. Alfie is 1 for 1 and for me, should now be given the chance. Nothing against Tav at all, I love the guy, but 2 misses recently should mean someone else gets a chance.

Get a grip. Never heard so much shite in my life.
Save their ridiculous comment for when Tav lifts silverware this season. Folk are stuck in the dark ages of wanting a Bryan Robson, Adams or Gough type captain. Funnily enough all those players would be commanding £50m fees if playing nowadays

Think part of the problem is the opposition know exactly who will take our spot kicks and have many points of reference as to where he put the ball in the majority of kicks, having multiple players to rotate the kicks with, ultimately gives them more to consider and reduces the advantage of only having one player taking our kicks

I hope Morelos gets them. He could finish the season on 40 odds goals if he does. Dembele lived off his goal tally that was mostly pens. It could pump up his value also when people see the goal tally.

Isn't it something like 15 out the last 17 ?

Aye but some view it as 2 missed out of 2.

He should remain on them at the moment. Last chance to find his penalty form back.

Plus, his general form has been below par (not bad though) and he doesn’t seem to be as confident as his unbelievably high standards as previously set by himself. Being taken off the penalties will hamper his confidence even further.

One last chance on the penalties imo.

Gerrard needs to have a 121 chat with Tav & thank him for his contribution and suggest he steps down.
Done in private so Tav doesn't lose any face & he can give Alfie / Defoe a turn out.

There's no question.

Yes, Alfie would miss some aswell but then he'd just get on with it. I think the misses affect Tav more.

Last night you just felt in your gut that he was missing that..

I'm Morelos biggest fan but he's kinda one of those strikers that if they have TOO much time they miss. I'd stick with Tav personally

Since when does Ryan Jack strike the ball cleanly, crisply and accurately? :D

I don’t get this at all. If he scuffs efforts that tends to be in play when he’s twisting and turning and running with the ball and sometimes unbalanced. As far as dead balls go, he’s hit one penalty and he struck it cleanly as he rocketed it into the bottom corner.

Since when does Ryan Jack strike the ball cleanly, crisply and accurately? :D

He obviously missed that chance last night that Alfie set him up for. Even Arfield seems a common suggestion? I mean Arfields got a habit of side footing passes right back to the keeper so I’m not sure why he’s seen as a more favourable option either!

No way should Tav remain on them though, he’s missed a few now, all quite close together and that last night was not the run or effort of a confident man.

Tav’s had a decent record on penalties but recently he’s gone right off it.

As a principle I’ve always been in favour of a striker to be the penalty taker, somebody who knows what it takes to put the ball in the net.

So yeah, Alfie, why not?

As far as I can tell he's scored 18 and missed 4 (1 in the Cup, 1 in the League and 2 in Europe).
Unfortunately, all of the misses have been in 2019. It's a difficult one, I can see Gerrard having a quiet word to find out what Tav wants to do and I suspect he'll say he wants to keep taking them.

I’ve always advocated that you have a top 3 and rotate them, teams and keepers are known for studying penalties these days, gone are the days of a Ray Stewart or Bobby Charlton type that rarely misses.

Utilise Tav, Alfie & Borna if need be and of course Defoe when he’s playing, that why the keeper will be trying to study the four of them patterns

He obviously missed that chance last night that Alfie set him up for. Even Arfield seems a common suggestion? I mean Arfields got a habit of side footing passes right back to the keeper so I’m not sure why he’s seen as a more favourable option either!

No way should Tav remain on them though, he’s missed a few now, all quite close together and that last night was not the run or effort of a confident man.

The much maligned Barisic seems to be assured when he strikes the ball, could be an option. Morelos seems to be the people's choice though, which is understandable. Be interesting to see how it unfolds.

The much maligned Barisic seems to be assured when he strikes the ball, could be an option. Morelos seems to be the people's choice though, which is understandable. Be interesting to see how it unfolds.

I bet Barisic would be good on them. Even when he looked to be lacking in confidence with his general play he’s always looked more assured when standing over set pieces.

Tav is a reliable penalty taker, every player misses at some point ffs. It's only his 4th miss out of 22!

Had the ref not been a bawbag and given us the 2nd penalty, I think the correct thing to have done, is let Alfredo take it.

Him or Defoe for all future penalties.

If Tav is off penalties it should be Davis, Morelos doesn’t hit the target often enough from chances from open play.

Back