Alfred Schreuder Sacked

Doesn't look a good one for them but in all fairness, I'd have Bassey back at Rangers in a flash.

Absolutely mate. I don't disagree with that.

But he looks a dreadful fit for Ajax and at that money.

I did actually feel at the time he had ridden the crest of the Europa League wave that our full squad did and felt it was an outstanding 6 months and as such a bit early for them to value him as they did but we won out it for sure.

That said, I do hope the big man turns it around.

Not surprising they were awful tonight it was like watching a kids game clearly issues behind the scenes. Prior to tonight's game they were bringing extra staff in at the request of the players when Steven Bergwijn was took off tonight he had a meltdown in the dugout .

Bassey will likely be at a bottom end of the EPL club next year the way it is heading. Was never going to be suited to the slow technical Dutch league.

I wonder if we have a sell on clause?

Schreuder should’ve been sacked months ago. The players have no confidence in him and the fans had a protest against him tonight. Bassey would be best finding an English club and leaving in the summer unless the new coach can improve him for playing in the Netherlands. He’s looked poor in the games I’ve seen

They got clamped by Napoli and Liverpool when in fairness they should have been far closer to competing with them than we ever would be.
Domestically they should be blowing the league away, no surprise

The nightmare is over! Should have happened long ago. Worst run of form for 58 years. 6 draws in a row. Bassey is on the end of a lot of criticism from Ajax fans, myself included. Although I wanna give him time and see how he performs under a new manager.

A fantastic start to the season, winning the first 6 games straight if I remember correctly. But like us we’ve also been embarrassed in Europe. Rangers made us look way better than we actually are in my opinion

We've really done them a kipper with the Bassey money.

For all the stick Wilson gets, that very much looks to be a terrible deal for Ajax.
We’ve done really well out of that deal.

He’s a lovely fella, and I really enjoyed watching his growth at Rangers last season but a sober look at it told you that he got a chance due to injury to Balogun and My God, he took it and enjoyed the most purple of purple patches between about February and May.

It would have been utterly mental not to snap the hand off Ajax when they made that offer though.

I hope that he gets back to that level of performance again because he is such a powerful and effective player when he is on form.

For all the stick Wilson gets, that very much looks to be a terrible deal for Ajax.
Bassey got a 3.9 out of 10 and was subbed in the second half. He looks like he falls over his own feet at times.

Since beating us at the start of November they've only won once. Away to a bottom end of the table team in the division below.
They’ve only lost once as well, away to PSV the game after they beat us.

A bizarre run of 6 draws on the spin.

Absolutely mate. I don't disagree with that.

But he looks a dreadful fit for Ajax and at that money.

I did actually feel at the time he had ridden the crest of the Europa League wave that our full squad did and felt it was an outstanding 6 months and as such a bit early for them to value him as they did but we won out it for sure.

That said, I do hope the big man turns it around.
Yep totally agree.
Sure i read an article a couple of months after he'd signed & an ex Dutch player was saying on TV "Did they scout him for the full season or sign him based on Europa performance".

Love the big guy hope he turns it around.

The Ajax results always annoy me more than the Liverpool scudding. Ajax were very poor under Schreuder and we allowed them the freedom of the park and looked to be absolutely shiting ourselves. We made an Ajax team struggling for performances, look like 92 prime Ajax. PSV must have been genuinely wondering how we got past them, withe performances we put in those games.

The nightmare is over! Should have happened long ago. Worst run of form for 58 years. 6 draws in a row. Bassey is on the end of a lot of criticism from Ajax fans, myself included. Although I wanna give him time and see how he performs under a new manager.

A fantastic start to the season, winning the first 6 games straight if I remember correctly. But like us we’ve also been embarrassed in Europe. Rangers made us look way better than we actually are in my opinion

I still cannot believe how utterly shit Rangers were v Ajax in the CL group opener.
Probably the most uncomfortable I've been watching Rangers ever. Embarrassing.
Set the tone for our own dismal run that saw Gio sacked.
Hard to believe Ajax have fallen off so quickly. A good coach will turn it around, and I wouldn't write big Calvin off yet.

Mental that our previous management team had us beaten before kicking a ball against this lot.
Ajax were flying at the point we met them in the first game Alfred Schreuder had the best start of a new Ajax manger for twenty five years. They then fell away after that, been rumoured all wasn't well behind the scenes.

Seemingly the players asked for a meeting with their Mental and Wellbeing Coach before the Feyenoord game to make their feelings known about Schreuder. The coach asked them to show their hands if they felt Schreuder was part of the current problems .The vast majority raised their hands and voiced the concerns they have.

Last edited:
Always thought it was too early for Bassey to go, he was still developing, but money talks. If that’s what’s happened at Ajax then there’s systemic problems to the core of the club, they get a good manager he may settle and find his firm again, but going from what he had with us to a club that it’s rotten to the top is dreadful for a young player. Patterson in a similar but probably worse position with Everton.

We want our players who we sell for a high fee fly. If they look like failures then it’ll impact the perception and fees that we get in the future.

Let’s hope Bassey (and Patterson) flourish under new management

Yep totally agree.
Sure i read an article a couple of months after he'd signed & an ex Dutch player was saying on TV "Did they scout him for the full season or sign him based on Europa performance".

Love the big guy hope he turns it around.
Well I would guess you ain't paying 25m for performances against St Johnstone and St mirren

Incredible to think Bassey went from that performance in the 3-3 against Ross County, where he was literally kicking air and missing the ball at times, to one of the best players in a Europa final and a £20m move.

Makes it even more embarrassing how shite we were against them.

Lost 16-2 on aggregate to the worst Liverpool and Ajax sides in recent memory.

Cheers Gio.

Then the excuses that followed from manager and supporters.

This is a great opportunity for Feyenoord or AZ. Even Twente if they can push it.

Reactions: FSM

For us as a club, it's not a good look. Bassey, getting slated in Holland, big Aribo not featuring for a totally shite Southampton side, and wee Nathan didn't exactly have the Everton fans drooling either.

I don't watch Dutch football, but when you've got a big, strong, fast left footed player, who can bomb up and down the pitch all day, and put a decent cross over.

It must be quite hard for them to fail, as a left back.

Back