Alfredo Morelos and the Rangers coefficient turbo boost that could prolong an Ibrox love affair

I know your being sarcastic but they are no longer the benchmark if they ever were
Alfies scored against far better teams than them
Of course mate, just ridiculing anyone who does, or ever has for that matter, use it as a stick to beat him.

He's scored plenty against better teams on a bigger stage.

Why would Alfie want to leave? Gannon and his colleagues should look in the mirror, they have been trying to hound him out of Scotland since the day he arrived, multi faced bastards.

I would love him to stay but the reality is Rangers are now run as a sub stainable business and the club will do what's right for the future of the club

I really want Kamara to sign a new contract. The rest of our sellable assets I would want to keep and add quality around them but it may not be possible the club will have to start balancing the books at some stage :(
We need to raise around £15m a year to cover the shortfall, more if we are to reinvest in the team. If he doesn't signal new deal I can see Goldson going and either Morelos or Kamara.

We need to raise around £15m a year to cover the shortfall, more if we are to reinvest in the team. If he doesn't signal new deal I can see Goldson going and either Morelos or Kamara.
Goldson's value won't be that high

Centre back

The Ibrox star has long been linked with a transfer but with Steven Gerrard's side marching on in Europe there's no reason he can't fulfil his dreams by staying in Glasgow.

The story already seems to have been written for Alfredo Morelos.

It’s almost accepted as a given the Colombian will pack his bags in the summer and stride off into the sunset as a title-winning hero at Rangers, while making the club a fortune in the process.

There would be no hard feelings. Morelos would have played a massive role in leading Rangers back to the big time.

And a guy signed for barely £1million would see a return many times over.

But does his wild and wacky Ibrox story have to end this way?

Does Alf need to seek pastures new? Listen, if an English Premier League club slaps down £30m with the promise of 100 grand a week then there’s no question to answer.

Who would grudge him that kind of move?

But unless it’s a real cracker of an option, staying at Ibrox for another year wouldn’t be such a bad plan for any of the parties involved.

0_Rangers-FC-vs-Royal-Antwerp-UEFA-Europa-League-Last-32.jpg

Morelos could well fulfil his Euro ambitions at Rangers
Rangers’ success this season has given them a key to the treasure chest.

The Champions League will be tantalisingly close thanks to Steven Gerrard turbo-boosting Scotland’s coefficient.

Morelos might want to play at the top level – he could do it with Rangers.

The cash up for grabs in Europe next term would also soften the need to balance the books with a couple of big sales. There would no longer be a need to cash in.

It’s back on the virtuous circle that Rangers have craved for a decade.

Success breeds success – and it also generates dosh.

There’s also motivation for Morelos to stay. He’s already proved he is a star on the European stage.

His performance against Royal Antwerp the other night was phenomenal. The Belgian back-three would have needed rubber bedsheets on Thursday night after seeing the striker in their sleep.

Morelos had a hand in eight of the nine goals that sunk Antwerp and he’s up to 23 goals in Europe now – in just three seasons.

Rangers – and his – stats on the continent are unreal and there’s no reason Gerrard’s men can’t sink Slavia Prague on their way to the Europa League last-eight.

The Czech outfit are top-notch – just ask Brendan Rodgers and Leicester – but they are beatable. Especially the way Rangers have been in Europe these last couple of seasons.

The continental clashes have been the fuel for the domestic turnaround. The belief and confidence captured on their travels have shown through on the home front.

There was a fragility about Gers a year ago. Now there is a swagger. It’s the same with Morelos.

Twelve months ago he was out of form and if Lille had offered a lump sum, rather than two bob a week for 1000 years, then the
frontman could well have gone.

There will have been times when Gerrard must have mused if the striker was worth the hassle.

Then there are nights like Thursday – when the gaffer wouldn’t have swapped him for the contents of Fort Knox.

The revolution at Gers paints a different picture to the bleak scenes against Hearts and Hamilton a year ago.

One where Morelos could be leading the club in to the Champions League groups stages and doing the business in the big kids’ playground.

At that stage there really could be a mega-money bid too good for anyone to turn it down.

It looks like Gerrard will want to stick around next term and Morelos can too.

There’s still plenty of time for another chapter in his thrilling Ibrox story to be written.
Having wanted him sold previously myself I am now bursting for him to stay for the cl run in, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his head turned by big money. He has been phenomenal of late. Time will tell.
He Will need to score against THEM though before he thinks of leaving.

Goldson's value won't be that high

Centre back
As I said if he doesn't sign he'll be gone, the fact he's not mentioned in any talks over new contracts makes me think he's already decided to go. Just a feeling

As I said if he doesn't sign he'll be gone, the fact he's not mentioned in any talks over new contracts makes me think he's already decided to go. Just a feeling
Don't think so. It's more that they've been so focused on getting the league won that they are not talking about anything else for now.

Would be a strange time to want to leave just before getting a crack at qualifying for the CL.

Does anyone have an idea of where will probably enter the qualifiers next season?
No need. We're winning the EL. B-D

As for Morelos, and other transfers in and out, qualifying for the group stages of will see few big names leaving. I'd think one tops before we now about the qualification process and none after should we get there.

The transfer dealings and values are likely to be reset somewhat on the back of this pandemic. CL qualification will allow us to keep.hold of our top players and have minimal arrivals needed.

Besides, I don't think Alfie is any real rush to leave us.

Not the conclusion I come to.

But truth is none of us know and you could be right.

For me, with what he offers the team, balanced against what you would get selling a CB of his age who has been playing in Scotland and has 1 year left on his contract, might be as well keeping him to have the best chance at qualifying for CL group, hopefully finishing at least 3rd and letting him leave on a free.

CL groups plus any post Xmas European football would be worth more than the few mil we might get for selling him. What could we realistically get? Maybe £5mil

Last edited:
Most of our potentially sellable assets will be here next season. Majority of our squad have never played CL football. Unless these guys get moves to a big 4 club in one of the big leagues, they all will want a shot at playing the big guns in the top European competition.

Different story if we get knocked out of the qualifiers though...
Not so sure, Agents will push for transfers waving big wage increases and signing on fees for the players.
The club will want to sell a few players too

The fact Gannon wrote that means I have woke up in a parallel universe!
Ganon would be happy if he stayed, realised he had made a personal mistake, played badly and his value plummeted. Han on is at it. He’s also talking pysh. The player wants to leave, we want a good wad and if he is looking for evidence rather than fantasising that’s it there.

So no you haven’t woken up in a parallel universe mate. Same old Scottish hacks talking pysh.

Not the conclusion I come to.

But truth is none of us know and you could be right.

For me, with what he offers the team, balanced against what you would get selling a CB of his age who has been playing in Scotland and has 1 year left on his contract, might be as well keeping to have the best chance at qualifying for CL group, hopefully finishing at least 3rd and letting him leave on a free.

CL groups plus any post Xmas European football would be worth more than the few mil we might get for selling him. What could we realistically get? Maybe £5mil

I agree.

Goldson will be a key player for us if we want to make the group stages next year.

What side will he move to that have a shot of the CL group stages?
I can’t think of too many. For that reason alone I think he will stay.
As SG said in an interview Alfredo likes European nights because of who’s watching, imagine that on the CL stage instead.

We’ll be lucky to keep him for another season, would love to see him have a crack at the champions league. Hold my hands up when his disciplinary record was shocking I was frustrated and wanted him sold. He’s been incredible lately the performance in the two legs against Antwerp could t ask for anything more.

Most of our potentially sellable assets will be here next season. Majority of our squad have never played CL football. Unless these guys get moves to a big 4 club in one of the big leagues, they all will want a shot at playing the big guns in the top European competition.

Different story if we get knocked out of the qualifiers though...
Playing in the champions league is great but it won’t come into players thinking if they are being offered the chance to double their wage

Back