Ally McCoist describes Celtic 'arrogance' as Neil Lennon departs and insists club treated 10 In A Row as a formality

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Ally McCoist reckons "arrogant" Celtic treated 10 In A Row like a mere formality.

The Parkhead club have parted company with boss Neil Lennon after his side slipped 18 points behind Rangers in the Premiership title race.

The Irishman resigned following Sunday's defeat to Ross County as the club's decade of dominance dream surely slipped out of reach.

Ibrox legend McCoist insists he wouldn't include Lennon in his accusations of overconfidence but believes he must still take his share of responsibility for a disastrous campaign.

He told talkSPORT: "The first thing I've got to say is I hope he can get a bit of sanity back in his life, go enjoy himself and relax with his family for a period.

"That's the one thing, looking at Neil, I think he needs and probably wants. That's the most important thing, to spend a bit of quality time, relax and get away from the insane pressure that is being an Old Firm manager.

"In terms of the decision itself, I'm not overly surprised at all.

"The way the season has gone for Celtic has been one disaster after another. There's a lot of people responsible for that.

"Neil, being the manager, will be one of them; the people above him as well and, indeed, the players have got to shoulder a lot of the responsibility.

"It was a massive season for them. You'd have to say, clearly, it looks as though the league has gone and the league was the big one.

"Everybody at Celtic wanted the magical figure of 10 for some time now. It doesn't look as though that's going to be the case.

"I always felt there was - not from Neil - an element of arrogance coming from within Celtic. They thought it was just a formality to win 10 In A Row.

"Clearly, that hasn't been the case and the supporters are very, very angry. Obviously, it's cost Neil his job.

"This news, we had a rough idea on Wednesday night that it was going to break and it's not come as a major surprise at all."

Lennon knew there were problems after the CL qualifier.

But there were his problems to deal with and he didnt.

So in turn it was his fault for not motivating them, not buying the correct players and after 2 years under Gerrard he thought we wouldnt cross the finish line.

Well in a few days we will.

This, these guys dont hate each other like we hate them, Most footballers/managers are pretty friendly outside football
They share one thing in common, that none of us will understand. They get abuse from thousands, that includes their own, you certainly need to have a thick skin in football.

We've still got a lynch mob on here going after younger players who you would think had been understudies to Heinrich Himmler.

They got burnt believing their own bullshit. Fans, management, media and board all alike, even now some of the more stubborn ones are placing the blame rather than accepting the truth that we have simply blown them away and are sitting top of the table unbeaten. I don’t think it’ll ever dawn on some of them that their players just aren’t really that good and have strolled it against spineless shite for many years, and most of our players are actually better and hungrier.

Grates on me that he uses the name Neil after the shit he went through with him as a player and a manager.
McCoist himself doesn’t seem too bothered.
Came out of it the bigger and better person although not even Lennon’s mother would have doubted that outcome.

Bang on with that summation, they believed nothing was going to stop them, even a resurgent Rangers they were cock sure weren’t going to have enough to overcome them as they were absolutely certain they’d simply be too strong in the final analysis having been so dominant for so long.

Momentum and familiarity of being over the course 8 and a bit times previously would secure the title they wanted like no other but now they will see Steven Gerrard lifting our 55th over and over again as the famous are going to be the only show in town with the media clamour and bears enjoying it to the full for the next wee while.

It comes as no surprise to me either Lennon’s been sacked, erm resigned as the unbowed, unbroken, undefeated one...Ha Ha...the arse hole would simply have to be missing from the horrible situation of Rangers coming to the chamber of secrets as champions or even worse with the chance of clinching it on their own turf. I am loving it...the rebel has failed as the famous prevailed!

He had 1 public spat with him while assistant manager. To the best of my knowledge that’s it.

Ally clearly isn’t to upset about it, not sure why anyone else would be.
Did Ally not pump his missus while he was consulting with his strange lawyer friend.

That was a joke doing the rounds at the time lol

I suppose someone, eventually, will say they didn’t win the league, because Rangers were by far the best side. :rolleyes:

I like the way Laura Woods keeps saying “he walked away.” Im sure Ally hasn’t influenced that narrative at all! :shh:
I usually listen to Talksport until 10,00 when White's show starts then I switch off.
Missed it this morning - would have loved to hear her saying that!

Ally McCoist reckons "arrogant" Celtic treated 10 In A Row like a mere formality.

The Parkhead club have parted company with boss Neil Lennon after his side slipped 18 points behind Rangers in the Premiership title race.

The Irishman resigned following Sunday's defeat to Ross County as the club's decade of dominance dream surely slipped out of reach.

Ibrox legend McCoist insists he wouldn't include Lennon in his accusations of overconfidence but believes he must still take his share of responsibility for a disastrous campaign.

He told talkSPORT: "The first thing I've got to say is I hope he can get a bit of sanity back in his life, go enjoy himself and relax with his family for a period.

"That's the one thing, looking at Neil, I think he needs and probably wants. That's the most important thing, to spend a bit of quality time, relax and get away from the insane pressure that is being an Old Firm manager.

"The way the season has gone for Celtic has been one disaster after another. There's a lot of people responsible for that.

"Neil, being the manager, will be one of them; the people above him as well and, indeed, the players have got to shoulder a lot of the responsibility.

"It was a massive season for them. You'd have to say, clearly, it looks as though the league has gone and the league was the big one.

"Everybody at Celtic wanted the magical figure of 10 for some time now. It doesn't look as though that's going to be the case.

"I always felt there was - not from Neil - an element of arrogance coming from within Celtic. They thought it was just a formality to win 10 In A Row.

"Clearly, that hasn't been the case and the supporters are very, very angry. Obviously, it's cost Neil his job.

"This news, we had a rough idea on Wednesday night that it was going to break and it's not come as a major surprise at all."

Have I lost a day this week??

Lennon said it’s a great honour to manage them in the 10 in a row season.so Ally’s got that wrong.
He also said that last year was the best win of them all and also that he wanted to win 12,13,14, 15 in a row.

Lennon classless in every respect, he played to the lowest common denominator with his behaviour and always played the victim card.

The most embarrassing situation that no one called him out about is when his jacket got hit with a coin at tynecastle.

He went down clutching his face as if punched by Tyson, lay on the ground pretending to be hurt and inflaming the situation. He then puts petrol on his fire afterwards citing sectarianism, bigotry racism etc.

The sooner he leaves with all his toxicity and bigotry the better.

He also said that last year was the best win of them all and also that he wanted to win 12,13,14, 15 in a row.

Lennon classless in every respect, he played to the lowest common denominator with his behaviour and always played the victim card.

The most embarrassing situation that no one called him out about is when his jacket got hit with a coin at tynecastle.

He went down clutching his face as if punched by Tyson, lay on the ground pretending to be hurt and inflaming the situation. He then puts petrol on his fire afterwards citing sectarianism, bigotry racism etc.

The sooner he leaves with all his toxicity and bigotry the better.
This all day long - pay attention all you who insisted he must stay.

People were arrested because of this bigoted cretin - yet he is allowed to say and do what he wants on the pitch, on the sidelines and in the slop houses he caroused in.

I just loved the post of Ye Olde Ashton Lane in the Tapestry thread :))

Good riddance.

Once again absolutely bang on from Ally their own arrogance is the main culprit for their failings

The day the scumbag bigoted bastard spat on club colours and referred to our support as Orange bastards, combined with sitting in a studio last year with 4 other presenters whilst mocking, deriding and abusing our status, is the day he should cease to become a fellow professional or recognised by anyone at our club
Piece of filth

Should have referred to him as “Neil Lennon”, formal enough without the buddy buddy implication. We know Ally likes to be pals with everyone, he’s not going to change.

This Rangers team isn't at its best yet, it can and will get better; that should worry teams competing with us in the future. Once success comes more will follow; but alongside that is that some players will become even better.

Disagree Ally, Lennon was probably the most arrogant of the lot.

Also stop pandering to the guy, he is a horrible b*****d.

Apart from that, the quotes were ok.

I don’t think we will ever see a third return of Lennon anytime in the future I would think he’s finished at parkhead.

Grates on me that he uses the name Neil after the shit he went through with him as a player and a manager.

I too was raging that he didn’t go on talksport and refer to treacle teeth and TLB. McCoist went down a bit in my estimation, down from a 10 to a 9.9 B-D

Back