Ally McCoist. I think he might honestly be the most undervalued footballer of all time

WinkieWATP

Can’t recall the poster but some earlier posted the video of the semi when Robbo was sent off early doors.

McCoist seems to have this thing where he is remembered as some sort of tap in merchant. The highlights of that game alone show just how fantastic a player Super actually was. He won fouls, he played 1-2s with Durrant that had they came off would be in that other thread about the best Rangers goals you’ve seen.

Many of his goals did come within the width of the posts in the six yard box but he was imho a far greater footballer than he has ever been given credit for.

Super was absolutely fantastic.

Anyone who watched his Rangers career can remember that we used to sing Super Ally, Super Ally with a gusto reserved for no other player at that time.

He was, and still is, absolutely adored by Rangers fans. Every time I’m asked to name my all time favourite Rangers player, it’s always Super that I opt for.

Greatest goal scorer in our clubs history. That says it all for me.

The Leeds goal for example I posted as my favourite in that other thread. Watch the way he slows down to stay onside. He knows where Hateley is so all eyes on Ridibe and baby steps till. Boom game over you arrogant English pricks. Just another victim of Super Ally

Always remember watching my The Real McCoist VHS tape and Eck going on about hating to play against him because he was always 3 moves ahead of you and nearly impossible to mark effectively.

Outwith us he might be.

He was outstanding for us but we play in Scotland so that devalues the opinion of English folk.

To me he is the greatest player I have had the pleasure to watch and as a boy growing up, I wanted to be Super.

Couldn't agree more. His back catalogue is far better than anyone outwith our support gives him credit for.

An incredibly mentally strong player as well.

Alan Shearer suffers a similar thing. Before his knee injury he was running channels and running in behind. He was quick and strong.

By the end of the millennium he was pigeon holed as being a target man and thats all anyone seems to think he ever was.

McCoist is criminally underrated. People have him down as some sort of lucky poacher but tend to forget he started his career as an attacking midfielder.

At his peak he could run a defence ragged. There's a game up at Pittodrie where he turns McLeish inside out, spins and then unleashes one right into Leighton's near post.

Can’t recall the poster but some earlier posted the video of the semi when Robbo was sent off early doors.

McCoist seems to have this thing where he is remembered as some sort of tap in merchant. The highlights of that game alone show just how fantastic a player Super actually was. He won fouls, he played 1-2s with Durrant that had they came off would be in that other thread about the best Rangers goals you’ve seen.

Many of his goals did come within the width of the posts in the six yard box but he was imho a far greater footballer than he has ever been given credit for.

It became a bit of a trope that Ally was a poaching bastard, yes he was a bit, but if you watch a compilation of his goals theres everything there. From tap ins to 20 yarders and free kicks, along with the odd header!

Always remember him coming on a football aid game and Andy gray in commentary says, we will get a goal or two here now ally is on. Sure as hell he scored at the back post, ran the defender in then peeled off him to the back. That was after finishing the game, he was different class when he played, always on the move, he took it up a notch or two when he was dropped for Johnston and had some partnership with Hateley.

The shithole is a dead give away.

Enjoy your night.
Ok mate.

The blame someone else approach for your post not making sense/me not being educated enough to understan. Bold.

FWIW, best finisher in my lifetime and operated purely on instinct. That said, people forget he could do much more than that.

The guy was the best finisher from anywhere on the park. Even now has a dynamite finish.

92/93 McCoist is being sold for about a hunner million.

Super Ally could score from anywhere

I was at this game in the Main Stand at Villa Park with an Aston Villa supporter sitting next to me. Ally had missed a couple of decent chances before this and I said to the Villa lad "his head never goes down, he'll probably score a cracker". After the goal the lad was treating me like some kind of fortune teller but I simply said "I watch him every week"

Allys McCoist's positional sense was absolutely amazing, he knew where to be in the box to get the tap ins that hes famed for, thats an amazing talent in itself.

Always remember watching my The Real McCoist VHS tape and Eck going on about hating to play against him because he was always 3 moves ahead of you and nearly impossible to mark effectively.
Mind the goal v Hearts at the piggery and he runs round Rouseet(sp) about five times. Tap in header.

There’s legend and then there is Super Ally mate. Genuinely hate it when I read him getting abused on here and called an uncle tom etc

It's not just that Ally was a brilliant finisher, but his positional sense to be in the right place in the box to finish things off was absolutely second to none. He could have scored goals in any team or in any league. And has been said, it wasn't just tap-ins either.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's Ally was just the ultimate comic book hero, and I bloody loved him.

At times, it was like he was writing his own scripts.

Mccoist in today's market is a £20 million player. Tremendous, all round footballer who could dish it out. Could drop deep, bring other's into the play and was always in the box. I agree that the support doesn't actually realise at times how good he actually was.

The first VHS I ever had was 'The Battle of Britain' as a Christmas present. I'd have been 7 or 8. I knew players names and was always a Rangers kid but after watching that video I loved Rangers, every face but especially Ally.

Reactions: DJT
His comeback after a leg break to come on as a sub, score an overhead kick to win a cup final tells you all you need to know about the man.

When Scotland got the penalty v England in Euro 96 he should have taken it. This was golden bolloks, who else has a script like him? Winner in a cup final with an overhead kick on return from a broken leg, scoring in a high stakes game, thats his kinda shit!

Was he never linked with any English or European clubs?

No.

McCoist always said he could have earned more money playing at a mid-level Spanish team - I assume he had suitors from teams in La Liga to know.

This was also a time when he would be earning approximately the same as English players. Remember the likes of Butcher, Woods etc.. came here becaue they got a better wage from us than English counterparts - Man Utd in Butcher's case.

Not under valued in my house. McCoist is an absolute legend, king, god like figure for me

I watched the whole of McCoist’s Rangers career and it took a good couple of years before he really began to find his feet (I was there the day of the infamous, ‘Ally, Ally, get tae f**k!’ chants), but as much as we all idolised him for his scoring prowess - which was phenomenal - it was only after he’d stopped playing and I began to revisit old games on YouTube that I began to appreciate just how good a footballer he was.

His hold up play, his little flicks and one-twos, his dribbling (I’ll leave the heading out of it) and his reading of the game were all first rate and really made you appreciate just how much he created openings for himself and others; not just getting on the end of something to tap in from six yards.

And on top of that he was both a winner and no shrinking violet.

As Rangers legends go, there really aren’t many ahead of him in my book.

The first VHS I ever had was 'The Battle of Britain' as a Christmas present. I'd have been 7 or 8. I knew players names and was always a Rangers kid but after watching that video I loved Rangers, every face but especially Ally.

Different video but pretty much the same introduction to Rangers as you mate.

Ally's positional sense was exceptional.

He would play on the blind side of his marker and before you know it he is on the end of a cross and the ball is in the net.

The goal at the Piggery that Albertz set him up for is a typical example of this.

Same with the one Gascoigne set him up for at the Piggery, they had absolutely no idea where he was.

You don't see penalties like Super's anymore - a big straight run up, full pelt, from outside the D and a smash into net.

I see him out and about fairly regularly and it's quite amusing seeing guys in their late 30s to early 50s still getting all starstuck with him in a way that surpasses any other player. Then there is the reaction of the women :D A boyhood hero for an entire generation and because he is one of our own the connection is even greater.

Was he never linked with any English or European clubs?

Even without blue tinted specs on at his peak a move to England would have been a step down. It was a different era but at the time we were Britain's biggest club.

A Compilation of some of his goals, the goal SDF mentioned above is near the start. I just remembered his ritual pre kick off, he would be kicking the ball to the keeper from the 6 yard box in a warm up, and then the last one he always put it in the net.

He always threw his chewing gum on to the penalty spot as well after his last shot in the warm up.

I was lucky enough to witness his entire Rangers career, to say I idolised him would be an under statement.

My favourite McCoist goals are the 2 wonderful strikes he got at Pittodrie in May ‘92 to clinch the European golden boot. I was in the Beech End that day on the old wooden benches and the Rangers and was bouncing.

A Compilation of some of his goals, the goal SDF mentioned above is near the start. I just remembered his ritual pre kick off, he would be kicking the ball to the keeper from the 6 yard box in a warm up, and then the last one he always put it in the net.

I love that goal. That wasn't just some diddy he was up against either.

Those first two Souness seasons he scored 80 goals on his tod. A remarkable return.

Back