Ally McCoist. I think he might honestly be the most undervalued footballer of all time

One of my favourite examples of McCoist striking was in the 98 semi final against the scum.

Albertz on the left, McCoist in the box.
Reiper has McCoist where he wants him(!)
He’s even looked over his shoulder where McCoist still waits.
Suddenly, Albertz crosses and McCoist is suddenly two yards in front of Reiper, who was fairly rated as a centre back, and has a tap in header.
Glorious goal.
Was right behind the goal high up. Watched Albertz swing it in low from the left and I’m thinking, who the %^*& is that for ?

Then McCoist just appears with the diving header and the celebration after has to be the best ever. He knew it was all coming to an end for him and that celebration said it all.

I love that goal. That wasn't just some diddy he was up against either.

Those first two Souness seasons he scored 80 goals on his tod. A remarkable return.
Puts Alfredo Morelos (or in fact most recent Rangers strikers') achievements into perspective

Google his 2 goals against Aberdeen at Ibrox when he came on as a second half sub from memory.
Not tap ins.
This was during the period Ally fell out with Souness when he bought Mo Jo to partner Hateley.
This was when he earned the nickname The Judge as he was so often on the bench.

The number of key goals he scored in cup finals, old firms and internationals is testament to how good a player he was. Always responded positively to adversity and set backs and won two golden boots. An absolutely world class striker.

The number of key goals he scored in cup finals, old firms and internationals is testament to how good a player he was. Always responded positively to adversity and set backs and won two golden boots. An absolutely world class striker.

I always think there is a difference between a striker that scores the 3rd or 4th goals and players like McCoist that scored the big goals. The breakthrough and pressure goals.

Ally could score goals anywhere on the pitch from 25 yards out. What set him apart from other strikers in his time at Rangers was his No Surrender attitude. He never hid no matter how bad he was playing.

I see him out and about fairly regularly and it's quite amusing seeing guys in their late 30s to early 50s still getting all starstuck with him in a way that surpasses any other player. Then there is the reaction of the women :D A boyhood hero for an entire generation and because he is one of our own the connection is even greater.

Even without blue tinted specs on at his peak a move to England would have been a step down. It was a different era but at the time we were Britain's biggest club.
Met him at the petrol station in Erskine last year and all I could muster up was "awrite super" :D

Reactions: ozo
He was my hero growing up, he had that other mob sussed out, scored against them all the time. They must of hated the sight of him. It feels as if he was on the scoresheet in every important game growing up. I can still hear Archie MacPherson shouting, and it's Laudrup, he beats 1, beats 2 runs towards the corner flag and floats the ball in, AND ITS McCOOOOISTTT WITH THE HEADER, RANGERS 3 celtic 0 :))

Our greatest ever striker. Golden Boot winner x 2, scourge of the bheggars and in an era playing against the likes of Miller, McLeish, Hegarty,Narey, Aitken etc. Only one super ally.

I remember well being called a "Super Ally Poster Boy" by a large number on here for supporting him when he was manfully doing his best to retain some kind of positive morale within a squad that were facing losing their livelyhoods.
As our manager he was dealt a poor hand but did well in an impossible position but as a player he was Simply The Best!

Had a great instinct to be in the right position at the right time. He had the advantage of being in a team who made loads of chances and, although we forget he missed a helluva lot of them too, he scored enough of them that we forgot the others. I thought Hately was better, but Ally is one of us through and through and we love him for it.
I wouldn't say Hately was better. They formed a great partnership in the 92 / 93 season. McCoist is the all time record goal scorer for Rangers and played linger for us. Hately was unfit when he first arrived as he was recovering from a bad injury at Monaco. He came into his own at the end of his first season with the 2 goals in the title decider v aberdeen and then he was excellent for the next 3 seasons _ led the line after mccoist broke is leg playing for Scotland v Portugal in 93. But Mccoist for me.

Google his 2 goals against Aberdeen at Ibrox when he came on as a second half sub from memory.
Not tap ins.
This was during the period Ally fell out with Souness when he bought Mo Jo to partner Hateley.
This was when he earned the nickname The Judge as he was so often on the bench.
Johnstone was bought before Mark Hately. McCoist and Johnstone had an excellent partnership before Hately was bought. Then Souness kept leaving McCoist out _ he tried playing them all in a 3-5_2 a few times which was way ahead of its time but it didn't really work in a world that was all 4 4 2. Was only afte Johnstone left for Everton that McCoist and Hately really clicked under Walter Smith after Souness left to manage Liverpool.

Super was absolutely fantastic.

Anyone who watched his Rangers career can remember that we used to sing Super Ally, Super Ally with a gusto reserved for no other player at that time.

He was, and still is, absolutely adored by Rangers fans. Every time I’m asked to name my all time favourite Rangers player, it’s always Super that I opt for.

Greatest goal scorer in our clubs history. That says it all for me.
He is the greatest , for me anyway because he was from EK ( like me) made it more special

Can’t recall the poster but some earlier posted the video of the semi when Robbo was sent off early doors.

McCoist seems to have this thing where he is remembered as some sort of tap in merchant. The highlights of that game alone show just how fantastic a player Super actually was. He won fouls, he played 1-2s with Durrant that had they came off would be in that other thread about the best Rangers goals you’ve seen.

Many of his goals did come within the width of the posts in the six yard box but he was imho a far greater footballer than he has ever been given credit for.
He scored a fair few free kicks in his time. One against Hivs at home in the league cup and a couple away to Dundee spring to mind.

McCoist would be playing for a top 8 Euro CL side if he was playing today.
Tbf, the same could be said for pre injury Ian Durrant and Davie Cooper.

Johnstone was bought before Mark Hately. McCoist and Johnstone had an excellent partnership before Hately was bought. Then Souness kept leaving McCoist out _ he tried playing them all in a 3-5_2 a few times which was way ahead of its time but it didn't really work in a world that was all 4 4 2. Was only afte Johnstone left for Everton that McCoist and Hately really clicked under Walter Smith after Souness left to manage Liverpool.
Showing my age there. Johnston not Johnstone - I remember the day he signed and my teacher wrote his name on the blackboard for some reason _ I can't remember the context of what it was but he spelt it the derek Johnstone way instead of the mo or will Johnston way _ as a kid I recall sitting there going _ you've spelt that wrong _ now 35 years later I'm bloody doing it!!

Ally McCoist never got the credit he deserved for being the intelligent & versatile footballer that he was.

Those tap-ins were the result of a lot of calculated work and pulling around of defenders.
He was also a very capable attacking midfielder, lone striker or striker in a partnership.

When Scotland got the penalty v England in Euro 96 he should have taken it. This was golden bolloks, who else has a script like him? Winner in a cup final with an overhead kick on return from a broken leg, scoring in a high stakes game, thats his kinda shit!
Still infuriates me today that he didn't take it and that Craig Brown didn't even take him to World Cup in 1998 with likes of Scott Booth and Simon Donnelly ahead of him.

Ally is my hero as is most Rangers supporters growing up in late 80s/90s. It makes me feel old seeing him on the TV now

I think in rangers greatest 11 there's only a few players guaranteed. Super Ally is 1 of those

For the first 3 years at Rangers he infuriated and delighted me in equal measures,for the next 12 years he was the King of Rangers.

Back