Ally McCoist on how his health suffered when Rangers manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
HE famously didn’t do walking away.

But Ally McCoist thinks back to his time as Rangers boss when he didn’t do lying down and sleeping very well either.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...ss-ill-stress/amp/?__twitter_impression=true#
PA:pRESS ASSOCIATION
McCoist during his time as Rangers manager

McCoist said: “I remember my missus saying to me ‘Come here you, have a look at yourself in that mirror’.

“Normally I’m quite good at doing that and she’ll tell me I’ve been standing there for half an hour.

“But in all seriousness, I looked at myself and thought, ‘Jesus, that’s not right’. That’s what happens in the management game.

“That must have happened just before I left Rangers and I thought ‘That’s not right . . .’

“It was definitely taking its toll on me. I wasn’t feeling great, I wasn’t sleeping at all.

“But that goes with the territory of being a football manager these days — particularly at the Old Firm. Listen, at that time at Rangers there was a combination of things.

“I was unlucky with the timing of the management job at the club.

“That would have had a big bearing on the way things were going. But I look at guys in the dugout now and think, ‘I can see the pressure they are under’.

WILLIE VASS
McCoist enjoys his work with BT Sport
“Pressure does strange things to people.

“Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have swapped anything. In many ways when the club was going through that period I was probably quite happy it was me.

“I knew Rangers as well as anybody could have at that particular time.

“But I certainly don’t miss that feeling of not feeling well and not looking too clever.

“When I left Rangers it was as if somebody lifted a weight off my shoulders.”

McCoist knows you can never say never in football but it’s hard to see him ever stepping back into a dugout ever again.

He added: “I’m not closing the door, but I would be doubtful now. I would be really surprised.

“I enjoy what I’m doing, I really enjoy my weekends watching football. I watch the kids play and the Saturday before last I was at four games.

McCoist and Jon Champion at the World Cup in Russia
“Then I ended up watching La Liga on telly. On the Sunday I’m the same. I really enjoy my BT Sport stuff, going to Fir Park or Kilmarnock watching Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen or whoever.

“So, I am very comfortable and fortunate. We were talking about guys who need to get back in.

“For some it’s like a drug and I am fortunate where I really enjoy what I am doing just now and I don’t have to get back in.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...ss-ill-stress/amp/?__twitter_impression=true#
ANDY BARR - THE SUN GLASGOW
Alan Stubbs was sacked by St Mirren earlier this week
McCoist showed an interest in the St Mirren job before Alan Stubbs was appointed but looks at his sacking as proof he’s maybe better off working in the media.

He joked: “They’ve offered me a month’s contract, so I’m going to speak to them about it . . .  I mean, seriously, what’s going on?

“If ever there was a reason NOT to go back into football management then you’ve just given it to me.

“It’s my local club and I’m the only one who can get away with floating between Paisley and Morton.

“I go to St Mirren I get stick from Morton and when I go to Morton I get stick from St Mirren.

MOST READ IN FOOTBALL

NIC BLAST

Charlie Nicholas slams Celtic for 'lap of honour' after Rangers victory

MAC ATTACK

SFA's Allan McGregor let-off blasted by ex-Celtic star Chris Sutton

“It’s just madness these days. It’s so difficult when you look at what’s happened to Stubbsie. What was it? Four league games.

“I don’t know, but it just seems to me there is a lack of realism in the expectation levels in clubs. Probably more down south than there is up here to be fair.

“But Kenny Miller got even less time and we’ve now lost two Premiership managers with six league games between them.

“Sometimes you need to take a step back and think about that.”

Ally McCoist was speaking at a William Hill media event. William Hill is a proud sponsor of the Scotland National Team.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news, transfers and goals from Scottish football plus fixtures, results and live match commentary

Gareth McAuley describes it is ‘amazing’ to join Rangers and hopes to bring experience to Steven Gerrard’s side

You could tell it was taking its toll on him he looked tired and done in but to be honest I wouldn’t have had anyone else in the dugout at that time with all the shit that went on, he saved us titles and no matter how bad it got super ally will always be a RANGERS LEGEND.

Thank you.

He gave me so many great memories; legend. Nothing will ever take away my love for the man. Ally was famous for healing quickly from injuries- he could be given six weeks out, and be back in three; which happened time and again. So many ex players, many of which played top level football elsewhere as well, credit Mccoist and Durrant with picking them up when needed. Brilliant servant to the club.

Last edited:
I hope no one has a go at the mans football management ability on this thread. Guys talking about his health and how he was feeling.

I'd like to think we are all grown up enough to comment without going overboard.

Edit- no having a go at anyone here.

Despite everything Super Ally will always be my hero. Total legend.

Me too.

Nothing will ever take away the feeling of standing on the terracing at Hampden, or at the Piggery, or in the stands at Ibrox after he had slayed the tims, again, making myself hoarse singing, Super Ally, Super Ally, ole, ole, ole

Absolute club legend, and there is no question he saved the titles Green was trying to trade away.

In the dugout, probably the worst manager in our history. Outside the dugout, he was the man we needed. And on the pitch, he remains a legend.

Will always be a legend will Super. My boyhood hero. Used to have that full size cardboard cut out of him :D

Him and the Goalie came to the Shankill years ago and the whole road came out to see them. They were superstars.

Also met the Goalie at the stairs of the Ulster Rangers Supporters club when I was very young and very drunk and he was with the most incredibly beautiful looking woman. Done alright for himself did Andy.

We can’t tell whether the on field or off field caused him most stress. It was nota good time to be our manager and he will always be a rangers hero

Legend and I for one am glad to see him looking more healthy than when he was our manager, gave us far too many memories to be tarnished by his poor management, a scroll through google images of his goal celebrations and you will struggle to not love the guy regardless of his shortcoming

Super Ally

After the years in which we were hammered on a daily bases by all and we damn near lost the club, but we didn't, can we knot look forward, anyone who came on our journey knew all about his management style, but I choose to remember him as the best striker of any generation in my lifetime and I am 73 I tend to blot out that time when Ally, was in charge, for me as a striker he was out on his own, no one can touch him.

Too many bad memories of his time as manager for me to like him these days
Not so much the fact he was crap at the job - not everyone is cut out for it - so much as the other stuff like the share options, pretending not to know his ridiculous salary, not voting with the good guys at various times. Most of all though the way he hung around taking the salary until he got back on TV and needed released from his contract
A very selfish man and clearly needs to be the centre of attention
Glad he's back in the media especially as I don't live in the country and don't need to listen to him

I’m a bit torn on this one. No one would have known better than Ally what he was getting into so he didn’t walk blindly into something. While he experienced a lot of success at Rangers as a player he knew what the managers job can do to people whether you’re deemed a failure or successful. Look at Souness for example. And that’s without considering the financial side of things.

Ally was not disciplined enough for the job in hand. Compare him to Gerrard, like chalk and cheese.

Comparing the jobs though is like chalk and cheese. The equivalent of McCoist being Prime Minister to Gerrard being a local councillor. Stevie G has arrived to a stable club with a completely professional approach and is able to get on with what he’s paid to do. Ally was involved in battles every single day to the point he was rarely allowed to do much relating to his job as football manager. I think people underestimate just how much of a disaster zone the club was behind the scenes.

It not only impacted on his health but had a huge impact on Durrant and McDowall too. If you ever hear their thoughts on it all they let you know in no uncertain terms just how much of the burden Ally took to try and protect everyone else and did things simply to try and help people feel an element of positivity.

I used to run an under 11s team and between coaching at weekends ,going to coaching courses ,organising games ,going to meetings ,sorting other stuff out ,dealing with pushy parents and going to my work aswell i used to be stressed out ma box so i dont know how ally would feel managing rangers must be 20 times worse

In a perfect world, McCoist would be the main guy on RangersTV.

That would be, for me, a fitting end to the McCoist saga.
McCoist should be employed at the club on a full time basis as an ambassador, he should be seen as the model for future young players/supporters coming through.
McCoist should be getting viewed with the same admiration as Struth, Waddell, Wallace etc.

He's not. He will never be viewed like any of the names mentioned, and in my opinion, has nobody else to blame but himself.

As player, will always be remembered as one of the greats. As a man well, it's all about Ally.

Ally the player, Ally the manager and Ally the man are 3 different entities to me.

For my tuppence worth, the minute we announced he was getting the job because of service to the club, it devalued the position. His tenure as manager was awful, just awful from recruitment to results to performances.

That being said he was probably the only guy outside Smith that could have been in that job when we were going through the mire, I thank him for that source of strength in that time.

I feel now he's in the right job doing what he's great at and good luck to him with it.

He didn’t look great, that’s for sure. Similar to Souness who aged visibly and had health problems. It’s a hard job and easy to take potshots from behind a keyboard with no conception of what it is to manage Rangers.
We are a demanding bunch :D:D

McCoist should be employed at the club on a full time basis as an ambassador, he should be seen as the model for future young players/supporters coming through.

He knocked us back twice mate before signing. He didn't come through anything.

I also think he's very happy in what he is doing right now.

Reactions: 413
He’ll always be my favourite player and ill always be grateful. he should remain in the media though - he is excellent at that.

Whilst football management is undoubtedly a highly stressful job, McCoist was never football management material and he should never have been Ranages Managers. I will leave it there.
In hindsight of course there is no debate but at the time, I actually though he deserved the opportunity, given he had spent so many years with WS and I excepted him to have WS as a mentor.

After the first few months he should have been gone.

In hindsight of course there is no debate but at the time, I actually though he deserved the opportunity, given he had spent so many years with WS and I excepted him to have WS as a mentor.

After the first few months he should have been gone.
I remember starting a thread on whatever board we were on at the time, on the day it was announced, saying I felt we shouldn’t have been trying an untested Manager at that stage and that I wasn’t sure that McCoist possessed the right characteristics to be successful in management. I was hugely shot down and told to ‘get over it.’

I take absolutely no pleasure in saying it as we all know the hell we have had to endure but I just think sometimes you can see in a person whether they are cut out for management.

I bumped into Ally in February 2015 in New York and remember being shocked at how unhealthy he looked at the time.

Whilst football management is undoubtedly a highly stressful job, McCoist was never football management material and he should never have been Ranages Managers. I will leave it there.

I would agree to some extent and disagree similarly mate.

I just don't think he should've done it as long as he did but he got the promotions, that was what counted most, so along with the fact he had legendary status, it was fu(kin hard to see him lose his job while winning the Leagues we were in.

I'm softening my approach to his management through time but still a couple of things rankle with me after his time in management, won't go into it.

All this considered, 27 goals in 50 odd games against the yahoos is always gonna see me have an affection for the man, for ever more.

Hard not to like the bugger and I know if I met him my instant reaction would be a smile, want to shake his hand and thank him.

That's my reality with Mr McCoist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back