Alonso not on Liverpool shortlist

Chopper

As above, doubt very much he will stay at Bayer but looks like Liverpool may be either downplaying their interest or they genuinely won’t be expecting Alonso to join them next season.

Looks pretty much like guesswork. I'd be surprised if Liverpool don't have at least some interest in him. But we'll see what actually happens, of course. :cool:

Uli Hoeness on SSN saying Bayern pulling out because he wants to stay at Leverkusen. Which is absolutely the right thing to do. He'll want a go at the CL with them surely? Couple more decent seasons and it'll be Hola Madrid for him.
There’s a good bit of risk involved in that too though. Suppose his success with Leverkrusen this season will always hold some weight but it won’t be easy to sustain.

There’s a good bit of risk involved in that too though. Suppose his success with Leverkrusen this season will always hold some weight but it won’t be easy to sustain.

I think for this reason he will end up at Bayern. Not to say this season was a freak season for Bayer but to continue that success against a Bayern team who will do anything to get back on top will be very difficult.

Smart thing to do, I think whoever takes over from Klopp is destined to fail. The owners are hardly swimming in money in comparison to the teams around them as well. I genuinely think they will struggle over the next few years

The one counter point to that is that they have managed to get Michael Edwards back in

Pure speculation at this time.
I will be amazed if he’s not at Anfield next season.

Uli Hoeness on SSN saying Bayern pulling out because he wants to stay at Leverkusen. Which is absolutely the right thing to do. He'll want a go at the CL with them surely? Couple more decent seasons and it'll be Hola Madrid for him.
Good shout.
If they do well in Champions league next season and win or get really close to winning the league again, Madrid could be a good possibility. Much bigger job than Liverpool.
Then again, they could be one season wonders, which I hope they aren't.

Would love it to be true just to make Florian Plettenberg and the rest of the wannabe ITK media look clueless.

He'll lose some players in the summer if he stays at Leverkusen (Tah and Frimpong probably) but the big hitters like Wirtz won't leave. He's that good a manger you'd expect him to get another year out of this team, especially in Europe. Bear in mind he took over when they were 17th in the league...

Kicker now reporting that Rangnick is Bayern's plan B. Don't think that would be a bad move.

Last edited:
What a strange comment.

It won't be Stuart Kettlewell or Co Adrianse either.
It’s not strange in the slightest given that all the chat when he was here at us, was essentially about him building up for the Liverpool job after Klopp. Your comment is just looking for something in nothing.

Looks like Amorim from S Lisbon is favourite.

Alonso is waiting for the Real Madrid gig when Ancelotti leaves in a year or 2.

Would love it to be true just to make Florian Plettenberg and the rest of the wannabe ITK media look clueless.

He'll lose some players in the summer if he stays at Leverkusen (Tah and Frimpong probably) but the big hitters like Wirtz won't leave. He's that good a manger you'd expect him to get another year out of this team, especially in Europe. Bear in mind he took over when they were 17th in the league...

Kicker now reporting that Rangnick is Bayern's plan B. Don't think that would be a bad move.

I like Rangnick, got hung out to dry for the Man U situation. Don’t think people realised that he was brought in to identify problems rather than solve them, he basically said it’s such a mess he didn’t know where to start. Can see why Bayern would want him, buying value and developing them is what he created with Red Bull, still thriving now. I do think Rangnick needs to be in full control though, don’t think he would get that at Bayern.

Quite funny actually, a sizable chunk of English pundits were adamant he would go to Liverpool to manage in the "best league in the world"

Maybe Xabi Alonso has a sensible head on his shoulders and doesn't want to make the leap before he's ready. Another season at Leverkusen, defend (looking likely) the league title, crack at the Champions League, losing a few key players so will need to address that.

He could potentially win a double/treble this season; Bundesliga, German Cup, Europa League. Why move on after that success after only one full (came in midway through 22/23 season) season in football management?

Seen that reported yesterday. One more season at Leverkusen, then replace Ancelotti at Madrid. Kinda makes sense. Feel replacing Klopp at Liverpool will be a bit like replacing Ferguson at Man Utd or Wenger at Arsenal. Not quite to the same extent, but similar in terms of how much influence they had over all aspects of the club. Whatever your views on Klopp, he's going to be a tough act to follow.

Talksport suggesting that he doesn’t want to go to Liverpool and will stay at Leverkusen although all the noise coming from Germany seems to suggest that he will go to Bayern.

I’m more surprised that he wants to stay at Leverkusen.

Winning the league and the Pokal is as good as it’ll get for him there, and I mean that with no disrespect.

I can’t see them being able to keep that team together, and even a decent CL run alongside a 2nd/3rd placed finish is nowhere near what he’s done this season.

lol Melissa Reddy is in the know on this subject, she's on about it now on SSN. Always wonder how she knows the stuff she comes out with, just going around in circles.

Our Scottish scum media will write up next week in their rags that PC might end up there lol after all we have a massive game next weekend and they have history of this kind of thing before with our managers

WATP

He’s confirmed he’s staying.

Good decision from Alonso. Onto bigger things with Real Madrid when Ancelotti leaves.

Latest posts

Back