Amazon or Facebook have bid for Premier league fixtures

I don’t enjoy watching games on a laptop/tablet if I can avoid it. If this is the future of broadcasting, personally speaking, I’m out.
7roPjGlD.jpg

You would be able to watch on your tv same as you do now Grandad.

Can’t see anything in the article to suggest that would be the case? I suspect if Facebook win, you’d have to watch the matches on their platform. I can’t see them bringing a channel to the likes of Sky or Virgin.

Can’t see anything in the article to suggest that would be the case? I suspect if Facebook win, you’d have to watch the matches on their platform. I can’t see them bringing a channel to the likes of Sky or Virgin.
It’s not difficult to run a cable from your laptop to TV.

I do it for BT sport all the time

It’s not difficult to run a cable from your laptop to TV.

I do it for BT sport all the time

There’s always a delay and the sound and video quality isn’t quite as good as the live broadcast. Tends to be a mismatch in frame rates as well.

Not sure why people are getting so bothered by my personal preference. I’m not insisting anyone has to share the same view.

Chromecast or most other smart tvs can cast videos from your phone to your tv so wouldn't make a big difference. Personally I don't watch any club football outwith Rangers

Streaming is generally extremely poor in comparison to live tv broadcasts, in terms of picture quality and reliability.

I have Virgin fibre and the wife (no pics) watches Netflix a lot. Trying to stream two shows at once causes regular issues with service.

The 2 outstanding packages are

Package F
Total matches: 20
Matches per club: Max two; min two
Kick-off times: All 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme

Package G
Total matches: 20
Matches per club: Max two; min two
Kick-off times: All 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

So BT Sport has one of them with other provider to be announced

Last edited:
They are not going to shell out billions to have folk watching on laptops.

Ah right, so you don't actually know.

Facebook aren't going to want to take people off of their platform. Speaking from a web development point of view, they're the least flexible when it comes to integrating into your site, as they want you to come back to Facebook rather than stay on the third party site. I don't see that changing. This would be a perfect gateway into paid accounts on Facebook that give you different tiered access to content that's watched on FB.

I think I probably watched around a maximum of 3 EPL games last season, it's genuinely dull.

Southampton v West Ham on a Monday night?! Feck aff.

I can watch Facebook videos on my TV. I can watch Amazon videos on my TV.

It's not a channel, it's an app.

Streaming is generally extremely poor in comparison to live tv broadcasts, in terms of picture quality and reliability.

I have Virgin fibre and the wife (no pics) watches Netflix a lot. Trying to stream two shows at once causes regular issues with service.

That's exactly my issue. You simply can't beat a proper live broadcast when compared to streaming. The bit rate is throttled so much on streams that the overall experience isn't as good. Not to mention, my broadband connection is absolutely shite (three cheers to the SNP for that one).

If some people are fine with that, great, but personally i'd always prefer a proper broadcast that's only a few seconds behind the actual match, rather than a few minutes, as can sometimes be the case.

I can watch Facebook videos on my TV. I can watch Amazon videos on my TV.

It's not a channel, it's an app.

I don't personally have the means to watch Facebook videos on my TV in a quality that i'd consider acceptable. I'm well aware of how it works.

Facebook aren't going to want to take people off of their platform. Speaking from a web development point of view, they're the least flexible when it comes to integrating into your site, as they want you to come back to Facebook rather than stay on the third party site. I don't see that changing. This would be a perfect gateway into paid accounts on Facebook that give you different tiered access to content that's watched on FB.

I watched the Scotland u21 game at the weekend. On my tv. Through Facebook. If some new media contract win the rights, nothing will change.

I watched the Scotland u21 game at the weekend. On my tv. Through Facebook. If some new media contract win the rights, nothing will change.

Exactly. Through Facebook. And I literally just stated that nothing will change.

Which goes back to my original point. That streaming through Facebook is not for me. Once again, don't understand why my personal preference is getting people so hot and bothered. If that's for you, great, knock yourself out, but i'll be giving it a miss.

That would be okay if it was Amazon, but I’d be surprised if Facebook were to take you away from their site.

I'd imagine they'd have a smart tv app making it compatible on your telly.

Which would also force people into buying a smart TV too.

Facebook will no doubt negotiate with the manufacturers for exclusivity making them even more money.

Zuckerberg and Bezos are a pair of fucking cunts.

Facebook will no doubt negotiate with the manufacturers for exclusivity making them even more money.

I know they've already got a dedicated video app for the likes of the Apple TV (don't seem to have one for my Smart TV though), but when I tried it, the quality wasn't great. I'm sure I read on Mac Rumors that it had been a bit of a flop, partially down to the requirement to have a Facebook account. Admittedly that was a while back, but I still prefer being able to browse through the TV channels, sometimes flicking between games, rather than having to jump between apps, most of which don't have a pause/record functionality.

I'm with you though on Zuckerberg and Bezos.

Mark Zuckerberg has always maintained that Facebook will always be a free service for users.
It’s hard to calculate how he would offset the billions this would cost.

Eddie Hearn is reportedly trying to do the same with boxing.

In my personal opinion, any internet dependant streams are usually of poor quality and worse reliability. The satellite companies also invest hugely in the punditry, the UHD, the camera angles etc.

Just can’t see where this will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mez
Don't even need a smart TV if you have sky q. It has apps on it, I watched the CL final via the sky q YouTube app and it was perfect for the full game. No different to sky sports.
I watch Amazon prime from my Xbox, I watched the whole series of the Grand Tour on 4K, it was absolutely perfect. Dodgy streams are one thing but the huge companies invest properly so it’s all done correctly just as long as you don’t live in an area with crap internet.

I watch Amazon prime from my Xbox, I watched the whole series of the Grand Tour on 4K, it was absolutely perfect. Dodgy streams are one thing but the huge companies invest properly so it’s all done correctly just as long as you don’t live in an area with crap internet.

It's the future, should open it up to 3pm sat games in Scotland and see what sort of numbers they get.

Don't even need a smart TV if you have sky q. It has apps on it, I watched the CL final via the sky q YouTube app and it was perfect for the full game. No different to sky sports.

Bollocks, I never even thought of that.

Yeah, but there is a huge geographical variable in terms of quality/connectivity.

My girlfriend stays 40 minutes away. Stopped using the Netflix and chill line when that became 60 minutes of blurry programs with intermittent circle hanging.

Just get the DVD’s oot.

Sky overpriced the original package and it went unsold for the first time ever iirc.

The pricks lost La Liga football for a measly 18m...

I'm with the poster above, Streaming games is a massive pain in the arse and it's either slightly delayed or the picture is off

Hope not. I had the misfortune to work for Amazon for 10 days several years ago and I despise them. Awful company and I will dance on their grave when they go out of business

Sky overpriced the original package and it went unsold for the first time ever iirc.

The pricks lost La Liga football for a measly 18m...

I'm with the poster above, Streaming games is a massive pain in the arse and it's either slightly delayed or the picture is off

Both outstanding packages never met the EPL valuation for them hence why they never sold and 1st time for the EPL that has happen I can't see the 2022-2025 rights will have the same type of package in them

If Sky had overpriced it they would have been awarded it but they never.

I don't personally have the means to watch Facebook videos on my TV in a quality that i'd consider acceptable. I'm well aware of how it works.

"Facebook aren't going to want to take people off of their platform. Speaking from a web development point of view, they're the least flexible when it comes to integrating into your site, as they want you to come back to Facebook rather than stay on the third party site. I don't see that changing. This would be a perfect gateway into paid accounts on Facebook that give you different tiered access to content that's watched on FB."

Based on the above quote, you're clearly not aware of how it works. Facebook have a native Facebook videos app, where I watch Facebook videos all the time, on my TV, built right in, in 4K - I can't do anything but watch videos on that app.

Facebook also own Oculus, Whatsapp, Instagram and loads of other platforms that do not require Facebook.

Don't have a TV that has it built in? Buy a fire stick.

"Facebook aren't going to want to take people off of their platform. Speaking from a web development point of view, they're the least flexible when it comes to integrating into your site, as they want you to come back to Facebook rather than stay on the third party site. I don't see that changing. This would be a perfect gateway into paid accounts on Facebook that give you different tiered access to content that's watched on FB."

Based on the above quote, you're clearly not aware of how it works. Facebook have a native Facebook videos app, where I watch Facebook videos all the time, on my TV, built right in, in 4K - I can't do anything but watch videos on that app.

Facebook also own Oculus, Whatsapp, Instagram and loads of other platforms that do not require Facebook.

Don't have a TV that has it built in? Buy a fire stick.

Based on your post, you're clearly having difficulty reading.

So Facebook have a native app? So people are still on the Facebook platform, and require a Facebook account in order to use it? In what way is the contradictory to what i've said?

there's a facebook video app for apple tv, you can stream facebook videos to chromecasts

Can get an android box for buttons

there's a facebook video app for apple tv, you can stream facebook videos to chromecasts

I'm fully aware of that, but as above, it's still the Facebook platform, and as above, the quality in general is a fair bit off what you would get from a decent broadcast signal. And streaming/AirPlaying from a device isn't a particularly great option long term, as it tends to be a bit of a battery drain and can be intermittent quality wise.

Don't see it being included. It will be an extra fee I reckon like they do with their other inside subs.
Rumour it's being coming a while and be included with prime as a whole amazon with targeted marketing could make 3-4 times the amount back doing it that way

I'm fully aware of that, but as above, it's still the Facebook platform, and as above, the quality in general is a fair bit off what you would get from a decent broadcast signal. And streaming/AirPlaying from a device isn't a particularly great option long term, as it tends to be a bit of a battery drain and can be intermittent quality wise.

pretty much everything you said is wrong, but you've already dug your heels and are working backward from what you want the answer to be

Streams from the likes of Now TV are perfect for football.

pretty much everything you said is wrong, but you've already dug your heels and are working backward from what you want the answer to be

Which bit is wrong?

The Facebook video app hooks into the Facebook API. It's built on React Native (a framework built by Facebook). It is literally what Facebook uses for all it's platforms.

A Sky Broadcast runs at somewhere between 5/MBs for regular content, 15/MBs for HD sport and 40MB/s for UHD. By comparison, a 1080p streaming feed runs at about 5/MBs with high levels of compression. The levels of compression are what dictate the feed quality. Less compression, better quality. I'm not just making it up. The figures are out there for anyone to read.

The last point I accept can alter based on personal experience. My personal experience is that streaming content from a device works, but is far from perfect. I've done it before for Rangers TV games, and it's lightyears behind watching a proper broadcast.

Some people just don’t like streaming and that’s it.

Personally, I find the quality has came on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years and the differences are negligible to all but the fussiest of people.

Things have improved so much, even the BBC are taking the leap this year for the World Cup: https://www.t3.com/news/world-cup-4k

Some people just don’t like streaming and that’s it.

Personally, I find the quality has came on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years and the differences are negligible to all but the fussiest of people.

Things have improved so much, even the BBC are taking the leap this year for the World Cup: https://www.t3.com/news/world-cup-4k

I completely accept i'm being fussy, which to some may seem ridiculous. But i've spent a fair whack on a top of the range 4K tv and surround sound setup, so it always feels a bit underwhelming to then watch poor source material through it, when combined with my shanner of an internet connection.

Back