Andre Villas Boas wants fifa to retire the number 10 from the professional game

Did Diego bequeath his drug supply to AVB?

Because that's a mental, 3am, off your tits type of idea.

If you're playing that game then Maradona probably wouldn't have made it as a pro in this current climate due to his lack of professionalism and being off his tits.

There seems to be this crazy idea that Messi never gets kicked / tackled.

He does, but most of the time he doesn't because he is too quick and good for any defender to get near him. His balance allows him to ride challenges like nothing I have ever seen.

I often wonder if some folk have actually watched Messi play the past 15 years.

Glad it was him that said it because if it was anyone with a great deal of success in the game it may have been treated differently

Why should no young Rangers player never be allowed the dream of wearing the number 10 for the team he loves get that denied because a great Argentinian footballer died years before?

If Argentina want to retire that number, that's their decision. But no player, regardless how brilliant they were, is bigger than the sport itself.

. First of all an absolute nonsense idea.
I love how posters say he was the greatest player ever without doubt. ?Absolute nonsense there is plenty doubt when you have players like Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, and add a few others in there. He was up there as a genuine contender but you will never get a defining answer as to the best ever.
For me its Messi but I would never be daft enough to say without doubt, everyone has there own opinion.

I don't like the whole retiring numbers things. Using Rangers as an example wearing the nos. 6, 8, 11 & 9 and following in the footsteps of Baxter, Ferguson, Gascoigne, Cooper, Laudrup and McCoist should be something to aspire to and being give their number seen as an honour.

3 pages on what appears to be a throw away comment.

if he starts actively campaigning for it, that’s a different story.

He was up there with the best ever, but to retire a number not a chance. That kind of thing is best left to pish American sports.

I think AVB has been dabbling in some of the famous South American marching powder. Bed time Andre ya fud.

Pretty strange suggestion imo
I could maybe understand if the Argentine national team or Napoli or any other team he played for - decided to do this for the remainder of the seaon or the current tournaments their involved in
But all international football or un-connected clubs ? Seems very odd to me

I hate shirt retirements.

Surely you would want it to be open so people can aspire to be a certain player. I'd hate to be, for example, an AC Milan fan as a kid knowing that I would never get to wear the number 3.
It should be a young players goal/dream to become the next great number 3.
Stupid idea.

GTF with this crap. There are many iconic number 10’s before and after Maradona. Yes he was world class this is just a ridiculous suggestion

So what about Pele,who for me still is the best,maybe it's a generation thing but he comes well ahead of Diego for me. Always carried himself with some dignity and humble so when I think of the number ten it's Pele that comes to mind.

Great players enhance the glory of wearing certain shirt numbers in certain football environments.
Removing them is possibly the most stupid of all advocations.
Their continued existence encourages the next generation to wear them.

What next? ... We won the World Cup in red, we should retire the colour red?

Stupidity on speed!

As per the vast majority of the thread - absolutely ridiculous suggestion.

Absolute nonsense, I loved Maradona, he was the greatest footballer to grace this earth, retiring the 10 jersey should not happen though, its ridiculous.

Would reduce the memory of a great footballer. Far better we see new number 10's and get the debate over which player was the best number 10, my youngest and I had that debate last night Maradona v Messi, that is what football is all about, bringing generations together over the love of football prompting debate and opinions.

If my Dad had been alive he would have chipped in with a view on Pele and Puskas. That is the magic of football, so many great players and all have a case.

Take the above and apply them to any SPL player and I guarantee they’d be labelled a scumbag. Serious levels of hypocrisy going on here, I’ve been reading how we all make mistakes but then I’ve seen players who’ve made fewer and lesser mistakes torn to shreds here.

Anyway, regardless of his character he’ll forever be remembered in sporting circles as one of, if not the greatest footballer in the history of the sport. He’ll surely go down as the most iconic that’s for sure; I can’t think of another player who became a cultural and political icon in his country and whose death would result in the announcement of 3 days of national mourning, I doubt anything like that will ever happen again.
Pele

Just being silly now.
Two Scudettos with Napoli (No Southern team had ever won a Scudetto) a UEFA cup, and more.

But more to the point Italia 90

Maradona with Canniga and nine other plodders, dragged Argentina to the World Cup Final, beating Brazil and host Nation Italy on the way.

Sorry but Messi couldn't do that.

Maradona was the best player on the planet then, and we were lucky to see his excellent buddy Canniga at Ibrox as well.

Two Scudettos with Napoli (No Southern team had ever won a Scudetto) a UEFA cup, and more.

But more to the point Italia 90

Maradona with Canniga and nine other plodders, dragged Argentina to the World Cup Final, beating Brazil and host Nation Italy on the way.

Sorry but Messi couldn't do that.

Maradona was the best player on the planet then, and we were lucky to see his excellent buddy Canniga at Ibrox as well.

Messi has won multiple champions leagues. Much harder than winning a World Cup. If maradona was capable of winning the WC almost single handedly, why didn’t he win Barcelona or Napoli the European Cup?

Messi would have been retired at 25 if he played in the 80s
Maradona wouldn't be able to cope with the professionalism of the modern game either. That's why, in my opinion, it's hard to say 'best ever'. Best of their generation is the right way to go.

Although I could see the Argies retiring it, I seem to remember Ortega saying it was the biggest honour in his life, when he was handed the number 10 shirt for Argentina.

Stupid idea and the only one I've ever really agreed with is #12 because nobody really wants that anyway. Ajax should be looking for the next Cruyff level player wearing 14 not retiring the number.

.Maradona was a great footballer.

Not such a great human being.

Even if he was a saint the idea of not using his number is nothing short of ludicrous. Take all this to its logical conclusion and shirts are gonna need five digit numbers on them, mibbee more.

Back