Another good old bear has left us

Portadown

My dad was buried yesterday. Harry Weir, from Portadown, born in 1930 and a Rangers fanatic all his day, went to be with his Lord and Saviour in his 88th year. A veteran of many great Rangers adventures and secretary of the former Portadown Rangers Supporters Club. the Ibrox Disaster changed his life, and he had to attend the makeshift morgue at the time to check whether his clubmates were among the victims of the tragedy. My dad was one of two members of his club who won the draw for the only tickets that Portadown RFC were allocated for Barcelona and he often spoke of how his fellow bears would not submit to the brutality of the fascist Spanish police force of the time. He was a total Rangers daftie and I became the same, and I will remain that way until my dying day, just like my dad.
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/0utykJ][/URL]

RIP Harry Weir.

My own father was from Portadown, so George Goudie is correct - your Dad came from good stock.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
My dad was buried yesterday. Harry Weir, from Portadown, born in 1930 and a Rangers fanatic all his day, went to be with his Lord and Saviour in his 88th year. A veteran of many great Rangers adventures and secretary of the former Portadown Rangers Supporters Club. the Ibrox Disaster changed his life, and he had to attend the makeshift morgue at the time to check whether his clubmates were among the victims of the tragedy. My dad was one of two members of his club who won the draw for the only tickets that Portadown RFC were allocated for Barcelona and he often spoke of how his fellow bears would not submit to the brutality of the fascist Spanish police force of the time. He was a total Rangers daftie and I became the same, and I will remain that way until my dying day, just like my dad.

Rest forever in peace, Mr Weir - fellow Bear.

Please accept my deepest condolences, Portadown. Your father sounds like the very epitome of a Ranger and you are indeed of good stock.

He sure was one of a kind. Thank you all for your support. It's certainly something that his death fell last friday and his monday funeral, surrounded the victory on saturday. I watched the highlights of The Ayr game, and it epitomised my beautiful memories of him and I following the Rangers in the 1970s. The packed terraces close to the park, the wee woolie Rangers hats, the rain and snow, the crowd cheering, the great goals and the bears united as one. No one would touch us. Truly great times which this generation can only imagine. Getting a lift over the turnstyles. Electric atmosphere. All the boys with their carryouts in the park. Singing the songs we believed in with no fear. Taking over, everywhere we went. Memories.

Your love shows through in your post about your Dad. The finest gift your Dad has left with you.

Deepest sympathies Fellow Bear.

Sympathy to you on the sad loss of your amazing father. If any of us get to feel the magnificent depth of his experience we can leave this world as happy as him.

Last edited:
He sure was one of a kind. Thank you all for your support. It's certainly something that his death fell last friday and his monday funeral, surrounded the victory on saturday. I watched the highlights of The Ayr game, and it epitomised my beautiful memories of him and I following the Rangers in the 1970s. The packed terraces close to the park, the wee woolie Rangers hats, the rain and snow, the crowd cheering, the great goals and the bears united as one. No one would touch us. Truly great times which this generation can only imagine. Getting a lift over the turnstyles. Electric atmosphere. All the boys with their carryouts in the park. Singing the songs we believed in with no fear. Taking over, everywhere we went. Memories.
That was my era mate your dad done a great job, just think what a life he had watching rangers all those trophies great players. RIP bear.

RIP Harry.

One could say that the mark of a great man, are the words that live on, after his passing.

He was a great Father, keep his memory strong.

You describe it so well it has taken me back to that time. God bless you my friend.

Back